Could Collingwood follow Richmond and the Bulldogs

Can Collingwood win the flag in 2018?

• Yay

Votes: 142 22.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 503 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubted it months, ago, and I still doubt it now.

- Flaws haven't been addressed. Midfielders don't deliver the football properly, forwardline is disorganised. Kicking for goal isn't great.

- The pies allow midfielders to rampant and don't make any effort to stop them. Pendlebury basically said that Mitchell racks up cheap stats, but that's what all bar Pendlebury does in the pies' midfield.

- Buckley still hasn't figured out how to use Moore, Cox and Reid in the same side. Will put one of Moore or Cox on the bench which is bizarre. How about playing both of them forward? And if that doesn't work, how about dropping one of them, maybe Cox as he has no feel for the game?

- Collingwood's midfield remains highly overrated. Treloar and Adams can find the ball but can't kick.

- Apart from Pendlebury, there are no stars in this side, it's very vanilla with some just plain average players playing. Varcoe, Cox, Langdon, Smith, Aish, Dunn, Crisp, Phillips, Hoskin-Elliot, Maynard, Thomas, that's a lot of mediocrity in one side.

- Team lacks pace and often gets beaten on the outside, doesn't spread well to create run for teammates and can't cover fast players defensively. Gets opened up very easily.

The positives are that they blooded two kids tonight and are a young side, but I feel like Buckley should have rebuilt the side by now, especially as it's not like he's been to the finals for years then had to rebuild a la North. The pies have just wallowed in mediocrity. I don't see a way they make finals with this list unless their injured players come back and make a massive improvement.

I feel like we do still have multiple great players: Pendles, Sidebottom, Treloar, Grundy, Elliott, Howe, Reid (as a backman) and Wells are all great. Adams, Varcoe, Maynard, Moore, Fasolo, Goldsack, Murray and Hoskin-Elliott seem good. Stephenson showed promise. It's just that the others are below AFL standard, and the gameplan seems to be destined to fail.

At the end of last season their problems appeared to me as a lay person;
* No real cohesion in the forward line and no A Grade key forwards . Mason Cox continually tried as key forward and every person in the world (bar 1) knows that it doesn't work. Good smaller forwards (Elliott and Fasolo) often not playing.
* Plenty of footsoldiers who try their guts out but have no great flair. Effort is not the issue but most of their backline have no great instict. Their only real flair is supplied by an ageing Daniel Wells who is a week to week proposition.
* Three of their supposed best midfielders (Adams, Treloar and Crisp) are at best average kicks. A dysfunctional forward line is not helped by poor kicks coming in.

And what did they do in the off season to fix this?
Your summation is fair. Collingwood fans are aware of these issues too, don't worry about that.

Your summation is fair. Collingwood fans are aware of these issues too, don't worry about that.

Went to the pies board, most very realistic and the ones still defending bucks and Eddie to the hilt seem a very small minority, it’s definitely not #standbyhird stuff.

Seems most see through Ed’s smokescreens and spin he puts on everything. He’s been there too long and just gives jobs for his mates and runs the club as a dictatorship.

For the pies sake he needs to move on.

Went to the pies board, most very realistic and the ones still defending bucks and Eddie to the hilt seem a very small minority, it’s definitely not #standbyhird stuff.

Seems most see through Ed’s smokescreens and spin he puts on everything. He’s been there too long and just gives jobs for his mates and runs the club as a dictatorship.

For the pies sake he needs to move on.

Pies fans are voting with their feet. 58000 for the first game between two big clubs is poor.

I feel like we do still have multiple great players: Pendles, Sidebottom, Treloar, Grundy, Elliott, Howe, Reid (as a backman) and Wells are all great. Adams, Varcoe, Maynard, Moore, Fasolo, Goldsack, Murray and Hoskin-Elliott seem good. Stephenson showed promise. It's just that the others are below AFL standard, and the gameplan seems to be destined to fail.
you are generally overrating the players you named.

but yes gameplan too is an issue

- Flaws haven't been addressed. Midfielders don't deliver the football properly, forwardline is disorganised. Kicking for goal isn't great.

- The pies allow midfielders to rampant and don't make any effort to stop them. Pendlebury basically said that Mitchell racks up cheap stats, but that's what all bar Pendlebury does in the pies' midfield.

- Buckley still hasn't figured out how to use Moore, Cox and Reid in the same side. Will put one of Moore or Cox on the bench which is bizarre. How about playing both of them forward? And if that doesn't work, how about dropping one of them, maybe Cox as he has no feel for the game?

- Collingwood's midfield remains highly overrated. Treloar and Adams can find the ball but can't kick.

- Apart from Pendlebury, there are no stars in this side, it's very vanilla with some just plain average players playing. Varcoe, Cox, Langdon, Smith, Aish, Dunn, Crisp, Phillips, Hoskin-Elliot, Maynard, Thomas, that's a lot of mediocrity in one side.

- Team lacks pace and often gets beaten on the outside, doesn't spread well to create run for teammates and can't cover fast players defensively. Gets opened up very easily.

The positives are that they blooded two kids tonight and are a young side, but I feel like Buckley should have rebuilt the side by now, especially as it's not like he's been to the finals for years then had to rebuild a la North. The pies have just wallowed in mediocrity. I don't see a way they make finals with this list unless their injured players come back and make a massive improvement.
Add to that Pendlebury isn't what he used to be, most people don't realise this but we lost our way when Swan went down, massively underrated player was Swan.

Our midfield is stupidly overated. FFS 2 of our best 3 midfielders litterally cant hit a target. 15 of their 30 possessions actually help the opposition but giving it straight to them.

Only if the AFL and umpires get on board. It seems they are on the right track.

Just a fine for that 1. Douglas perfect hit to the body on the other hand gets a week. Well done AFL. Well done.

Only if the AFL and umpires get on board. It seems they are on the right track.

Just a fine for that 1. Douglas perfect hit to the body on the other hand gets a week. Well done AFL. Well done.
Apart from the fact he hit him in the head and went past the ball. Reverse angle changed my mind on what at first appeared a clean hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were pretty good Friday night against an average Crows side.

Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Treloar, Adams, Grundy, Wells is an awesome midfield.
Aish, Phillips, Crisp, DeGoey and Langdon are all very talented.

Thomas, WHE, Moore, Fasolo, Elliot, Stephenson up forward looks good on paper.
Reid, Murray, Howe, Maynard, Scharenberg, Dunn is solid enough down back.

Greenwood, Goldsack, Blair, Mayne, Varcoe are all capable seniors.

If they can win enough games to be 5th to 8th they’re a shot.

Maynard Dunn Howe
Murray Reid Scharenberg
Wells Pendlebury Sidebottom
Grundy Treloar Adams
DeGoey WHE Thomas
Elliot Moore Fasolo
Varcoe Aish Crisp Phillips

Langdon, Goldsack, Greenwood, Blair, Mayne, Crocker, Brown, Cox, Broomhead as depth and all of a sudden they’re list looks pretty good if they can get their A graders on the park (Wells, Elliot, Fasolo)

Pies fans are voting with their feet. 58000 for the first game between two big clubs is poor.
32000 at home even against an interstate team on a wet day is very poor-especially for a side on a rampage like the tigers. A bit of rain and they all say it's too hard. We got the same against GWS after a terrible loss to the Hawks and years of mediocrity. Also got 69000 against Blues when we were winless. Going okay support wise given our recent record. Don't think we will be starting any campaign to save our club.;)

32000 at home even against an interstate team on a wet day is very poor-especially for a side on a rampage like the tigers. A bit of rain and they all say it's too hard. We got the same against GWS after a terrible loss to the Hawks and years of mediocrity. Also got 69000 against Blues when we were winless. Going okay support wise given our recent record. Don't think we will be starting any campaign to save our club.;)

So disclose your membership tally and put us all at ease.

Hey check out your 32K at MCG 2017 before you start mouthing off......glass houses never a good look even on BF. OMG two wins and they have come from NOWHERE to contenders. Typical!

Hey check out your 32K at MCG 2017 before you start mouthing off......glass houses never a good look even on BF. OMG two wins and they have come from NOWHERE to contenders. Typical!
Dear me-were we coming off our first flag in 38 years? Were we playing winning footy? Were we telling the world the sleeping giant is awake and on a roll? Context my friend, context! No-one I have seen is claiming we are contenders. You should slaughter our boys. We are still debilitated by injury whilst you are one player short of a full list to choose from. If we get within 8 goals you should be embarrassed.

Dear me-were we coming off our first flag in 38 years? Were we playing winning footy? Were we telling the world the sleeping giant is awake and on a roll? Context my friend, context! No-one I have seen is claiming we are contenders. You should slaughter our boys. We are still debilitated by injury whilst you are one player short of a full list to choose from. If we get within 8 goals you should be embarrassed.
The old debilitated by injury rears it's head again and again for past seven years!

And non of them would be that low on the ladder if they had beaten Collingwood :)
But looking at them now with their performances so far this year upto round 12 Car, Ess, Bris, StKilda, Bull, Fre will end up bottom 8 and you would expect all of them to be unable to challenge to play finals the Melbourne & Crows games were good wins but concerning losses against GWS,Rich,Geelong,Hawks

Always make sure you have an excuse handy, then throw in some rubbish about it being a failure if such and such doesn't get within 8 goals, that's a brave prediction very brave:rolleyes:

Your missing Elliot and Goldsack, maybe you could put Aish in as well, most of the others would be borderline for a game, Richmond had two key midfielders, a top half back and our x factor in Rioli out this week, Id say our injuries are about the same as yours in there impact on the team, although we will be getting two back soon.

Back