Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for you Jeremias. I find I'm dealing with irrational anger over this. Can someone walk me through how this one person who found himself positive on returning home has been able to spread to all his family groups? Where was he isolating? What happens when people are told to isolate? Is this done on trust?
How have these close family contacts been able to get out and about spreading disease like Louis the Fly? What am I missing here?

I feel for you Jeremias. I find I'm dealing with irrational anger over this. Can someone walk me through how this one person who found himself positive on returning home has been able to spread to all his family groups? Where was he isolating? What happens when people are told to isolate? Is this done on trust?
How have these close family contacts been able to get out and about spreading disease like Louis the Fly? What am I missing here?

If this is the case, it’s extremely selfish.

Everything. He went into HQ in SA not infected. Because HQ is garbage he managed to get infected while in HQ and SA didn't pick it up (almost impossible to do early days). He went home, did normal things and here we are.

Everything. He went into HQ in SA not infected. Because HQ is garbage he managed to get infected while in HQ and SA didn't pick it up (almost impossible to do early days). He went home, did normal things and here we are.
You think this all happened before he tested positive? I'm thinking there must have been a lot of movement from close family members AFTER he tested positive. And was he taken out of home to isolate? Were the close famiy members left to get out and about? I think trusting people to self isolate for 14 days is a bust.
Also, once you've had your 2 jabs, maybe you should be free to travel about. Might be a future strategy to get more people immunised.

You think this all happened before he tested positive? I'm thinking there must have been a lot of movement from close family members AFTER he tested positive. And was he taken out of home to isolate? Were the close famiy members left to get out and about? I think trusting people to self isolate for 14 days is a bust.
Also, once you've had your 2 jabs, maybe you should be free to travel about. Might be a future strategy to get more people immunised.

There has to be a missing link/s that he infected before he knew he was positive. The gap between him and this current lot is too great for it to have been direct passing on of the virus.

The worry is - who is/are the missing links and who/what/where have they been in contact with in the interim? We might get lucky and there was only one asymptomatic person who had a low viral load that eventually spread it to one of the current positives. We will probably never know who that person is if that is what has happened. The alternative is that we get unlucky, and there has been virus circulating in that Whittlesea area undetected for a few weeks.

Dont forget to mention the incorrect Woolworths store that was given out an picked up days later. Lord knows how many thousands on people had gone through that store after the infected person had been through there and are walking around the community.

Hotel quarantine is a croc, The A/C systems are not designed to provide enough air changes per hour to provide a proper quarantine facility. The facility in Alice Springs should have been doubled in size or tripled, with all returning Australians (without exception) quarantined there while the rest of Australia goes about its business. The money loss and mental health problems caused from lockdowns and damage to the economies would easily outweigh the cost of a proper quarantine facility.
And Victoria's QR code system is of rusted tin plated standard compared to other states.

The trouble is that a sense of 'its gone' descended on this country. We tuned out and went back to normal. And the notion that a rushjob vaccine would save us all is also part of it. It was always going to happen somehow somewhere in Australia with the apathy returning. Both governments and the public have to wake up to this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My proposed changes
You've come from India or any other covid hotspot. You've been quarrantined for 14 days. You want to travel to another state?
Then you have to do a further 3-5 days in quarrantine there, as we now know 14 days may not be enough...or
You may have to quarrantine because you quarrantined and that is high risk ffs.
One person returning from a hotspot has caused this.
Think about that.
If we continue to have inbound flights then we MUST do better.

Most Asian countries now have now extended mandatory quarantine to 21 days. Some such as Vietnam have 7 days home quarantine after the 21 days. Oz is pretty soft.

Original SA link could have picked it up on day 14 while leaving hotel quarantine because positive neighbour opened door at same time. No way to prevent that in a Hotel whereas in Howard Springs it with separate huts to open air in between this would likely never happen.

Looking at the current worsening situation in Victoria, and the state of border closures and lockdowns, it's looking more and more likely we're going to end up in a NSW Hub for the next few weeks. I anticipate that WA will shut its border to Victoria today like SA already has, with other states to follow (including likely NSW).

Where does that leave us?

The side is currently in NSW, and we cant leave NSW at any stage earlier than Sunday night, and by then I anticipate quarantine requirements, lockdowns in Victoria and border restrictions between NSW and Victoria to be in place.

I note we have 2 games against GWS yet to play, in addition to our Sydney game this weekend, with the 1st GWS game currently scheduled on 19 June.

Our fixture over the next 4 weeks is at present:

Sydney (SCG)
West Coast (MCG)
Bye
GWS (Giants stadium)

I have an increasingly strong suspicion that we might find the GWS game pushed forward to next week by the AFL, and swapped with the Eagles game, with the Eagles game being held in reserve to be played in NSW (as part of the Hub) if the situation hasn't improved by then.

What are peoples thoughts on how the COVID shutdowns might affect us specifically?

Looking at the current worsening situation in Victoria, and the state of border closures and lockdowns, it's looking more and more likely we're going to end up in a NSW Hub for the next few weeks. I anticipate that WA will shut its border to Victoria today like SA already has, with other states to follow (including likely NSW).

Where does that leave us?

The side is currently in NSW, and we cant leave NSW at any stage earlier than Sunday night, and by then I anticipate quarantine requirements, lockdowns in Victoria and border restrictions between NSW and Victoria to be in place.

I note we have 2 games against GWS yet to play, in addition to our Sydney game this weekend, with the 1st GWS game currently scheduled on 19 June.

Our fixture over the next 4 weeks is at present:

Sydney (SCG)
West Coast (MCG)
Bye
GWS (Giants stadium)

I have an increasingly strong suspicion that we might find the GWS game pushed forward to next week by the AFL, and swapped with the Eagles game, with the Eagles game being held in reserve to be played in NSW (as part of the Hub) if the situation hasn't improved by then.

What are peoples thoughts on how the COVID shutdowns might affect us specifically?

This would be in our interests. GWS' tall stocks are in ruins at the moment, plus Greene, Coniglio, De Boer and Perryman out for a while. The sooner we play them, the better.

From 11.59PM tonight ...

E2W1WQlWYAIcVrq

Victorians must stay within 5km of their house for lockdown.

-Masks must be warn everywhere other than your house
-No visitors permitted -No public gatherings
Stay safe guys, just wish the government hadn't of ****ed around with the vaccine roll-out.
People from the US are flying in and out of Europe, South America and the Middle East without isolation or quarantine at either end - we could be at this stage if our government wasn't corrupt and moronic.

CARLTON
The Blues rushed out of Victoria on Wednesday afternoon ahead of the impending lockdown. The AFL acted quickly to get the Blues into New South Wales, with players tested at Marvel Stadium yesterday morning before flying interstate. Carlton isn’t fixtured to play Sydney until Sunday, with uncertainty around when they can come back to Victoria. Star defender Jacob Weitering told SEN on Wednesday that he had packed for longer than Sunday, despite the AFL being confirmed the players could return home after the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back