Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I am in the arts and events industry that everyone forgets about. It's dead now. The longer this goes on, the longer a lot of people are going to be in serious trouble and I'm afraid they are gonna be part of the dead statistics from this virus, that aren't because of the virus itself.

Which is bullshit because this is what is necassary for everyone else to survive.

Dammit we need a cure

right now the government have everyone happy to,lockdown and get shitty at the suggestion we shouldnt so they have some time

eventually people will become less tolerant and we will see a lot more deaths and living with those deaths as we all gradually catch it and hopefully build herd immunity?

2 minds atm for tomorrow

Old man has last round of chemo and could be in remission but he is very scared of getting sick from any type of flu.

71 and no immune system

Get the chemo, accompany him if possible and be vigilant as heck. The doctors would have given advice to him on what to do. They sent one of my students back with a small tumor to do wait and see scans.

Sweden's approach with some social distancing.

no idea.... seems like we are in a holding pattern the moment

i have no real old relatives i avoid crowds, i still work, my only impact is loss of sport which i mainly watch on tv and some local runs, so i have little to lose bar hoping me, my wife and kids dont catch it

but seems like people will die of this s**t we are just delaying it and ruining more lives in the long term,

why not isolate the troubled people ?

also people who barely trust the government to get us decent internet suddenly trust 100 on a health issue because??

right now the government have everyone happy to,lockdown and get shitty at the suggestion we shouldnt so they have some time

eventually people will become less tolerant and we will see a lot more deaths and living with those deaths as we all gradually catch it and hopefully build herd immunity?

I am not a fan at all of the 'just let it happen' mentality that's been floated around. For two reasons. One being that despite the elderly being the most susceptible to this virus and them being in the twilight of their lives, they are still human beings, parents, grandparents. They deserve better than to just be used as collateral to protect the wider population. The second reason being that while it's fine in theory to just infect the population and hope a herd immunity builds, the health system cannot survive a mass infection. There won't be enough ventilators, health care workers etc to look after all of the sick, and you will start seeing younger people dying just by sheer volume of positive cases.

I'm aware of what a long-term lockdown and a serious economic recession can do to people's livelihoods and mental health, but we cannot just start letting people die regardless of age.

I am not a fan at all of the 'just let it happen' mentality that's been floated around. For two reasons. One being that despite the elderly being the most susceptible to this virus and them being in the twilight of their lives, they are still human beings, parents, grandparents. They deserve better than to just be used as collateral to protect the wider population. The second reason being that while it's fine in theory to just infect the population and hope a herd immunity builds, the health system cannot survive a mass infection. There won't be enough ventilators, health care workers etc to look after all of the sick, and you will start seeing younger people dying just by sheer volume of positive cases.

I'm aware of what a long-term lockdown and a serious economic recession can do to people's livelihoods and mental health, but we cannot just start letting people die regardless of age.

true, but we are farting at thunder here potentially and delaying the inevitable and creating a bigger issue alongside it

Whats the exit strategy? you want to have isolations/shut down indefinitely

what if theres no vaccine?

im not suggesting tomorrow we say no restrictions lets go, but i think we cant also sit for months it makes no sense, the world will be ****ed

true, but we are farting at thunder here potentially and delaying the inevitable and creating a bigger issue alongside it

im not suggesting tomorrow we say no restrictions lets go, but i think we cant also sit for months it makes no sense, the world will be f’ed

If you look at human history, the world has been f'd more times than one could even count. And the world just keeps f'ing right back each time. In the span of a single administration, FDR took the US from it's lowest ever ebb to arguably it's most prosperous position it experienced in the 20th century.

This will take a long time to rebound from and get back to where we were. But I think it's more important we wear that time and the hardships along the way instead of wearing the deaths that could (but probably wouldn't) bring a quicker relief.

If you look at human history, the world has been f'd more times than one could even count. And the world just keeps f'ing right back each time. In the span of a single administration, FDR took the US from it's lowest ever ebb to arguably it's most prosperous position it experienced in the 20th century.

This will take a long time to rebound from and get back to where we were. But I think it's more important we wear that time and the hardships along the way instead of wearing the deaths that could (but probably wouldn't) bring a quicker relief.

if a shutdown and restrictions to some degree for say the 6 months avoids deaths to a massive amount then fine

imo if its just putting it off until later on then we need a different strategy

id just like to know the end game or ideal end game/aim atthe moment

if a shutdown and restrictions to some degree for say the 6 months avoids deaths to a massive amount then fine

imo if its just putting it off until later on then we need a different strategy

id just like to know the end game or ideal end game/aim atthe moment

You won't get your answer though. It's still very much a wait-and-see approach as we look at the curve and it's correlation to the measures that have been put in place over the last month. I suspect in a few weeks, once the gov have a clearer idea of whether the measures have worked and will continue to work, they'll have a clearer understanding of the direction they'll head in.

But if it ends up a long-term thing, beyond 6 months closer to the 12-18 month territory, IMO we need to wear that. Letting citizens die can never be an answer.

You won't get your answer though. It's still very much a wait-and-see approach as we look at the curve and it's correlation to the measures that have been put in place over the last month. I suspect in a few weeks, once the gov have a clearer idea of whether the measures have worked and will continue to work, they'll have a clearer understanding of the direction they'll head in.

But if it ends up a long-term thing, beyond 6 months closer to the 12-18 month territory, IMO we need to wear that. Letting citizens die can never be an answer.

but you will let citizens die

they will die from depression, poverty and so on and then live shittier lives long term

its not clear cut, because again you dont know if there is a vaccine

i accept like you said we cant know short term, but there needs to be some discussion around the long term in public eventually or people will lose faith and paitence imo

they will die from depression, poverty and so on and then live shittier lives long term

To me it's just a bit of a first world mentality. Basically kill thousands of innocent and unwilling citizens so that my comfy life won't be messed with too badly? No thanks.

its not clear cut, because again you dont know if there is a vaccine

i accept like you said we cant know short term, but there needs to be some discussion around the long term in public eventually or people will lose faith and paitence imo
You're a hundred percent right, it's just that if the virus gets out of control, the many, many, many more will die, and these will be people that could have been saved. The lock down is not to stop us getting it, but to stop us all getting it at once and cause the failure of the health care system.

They can't tell us what they are going to do as they don't yet know... and they can't know until they see what happens next. That's all still in the planning stages until we get through the next few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it's just a bit of a first world mentality. Basically kill thousands of innocent and unwilling citizens so that my comfy life won't be messed with too badly? No thanks.

but what if either way you kill people/ruin lives

society cant function with everyone in their house forever, when they then lose said house as they have no money

id rather die on my feet than live on my knees

You're a hundred percent right, it's just that if the virus gets out of control, the many, many, many more will die, and these will be people that could have been saved. The lock down is not to stop us getting it, but to stop us all getting it at once and cause the failure of the health care system.

They can't tell us what they are going to do as they don't yet know... and they can't know until they see what happens next. That's all still in the planning stages until we get through the next few weeks.

thats my understanding and please correct me

we are accepting people will get sick/die its unstoppable

but we are delaying it flattening it to lessen the impact, but its a balance imo

thats my understanding and please correct me

we are accepting people will get sick/die its unstoppable

but we are delaying it flattening it to lessen the impact, but its a balance imo
We are delaying... absolutely! Because instead of topping out at 10000 cases with maybe 500 deaths, we'll lose thousands that we could have saved if we had just saved the health system... I like the way this guy explains it...

but what if either way you kill people/ruin lives

society cant function with everyone in their house forever, when they then lose said house as they have no money

id rather die on my feet than live on my knees

But as I posted earlier there are countless examples where the world has been f'd, be it through depressions and pandemics, and it just continues. This is not ancient times. We're a civilised society and yes there are some serious buffoons in leadership positions but believe it or not I trust the suits and politicians who run our world to bring us back from it. Like countries have done before.

Keep in mind that America went through the great depression and WWII pretty much back-to-back. The economy was broken, lives were lost, and by the late 1940s were the dominant nation in the world. By the 1950s, domestically they were at the peak of their powers. We don't even need to be the dominant nation or even back to the point we were pre-crisis, we just need to avoid a Great Leap Forward type scenario happening in Australia, which would be incredibly unlikely anyway.

So to use the distant future to shape what we do in the immediate future would ironically be quite short-sighted.

But as I posted earlier there are countless examples where the world has been f'd, be it through depressions and pandemics, and it just continues. This is not ancient times. We're a civilised society and yes there are some serious buffoons in leadership positions but believe it or not I trust the suits and politicians who run our world to bring us back from it. Like countries have done before.

Keep in mind that America went through the great depression and WWII pretty much back-to-back. The economy was broken, lives were lost, and by the late 1940s were the dominant nation in the world. By the 1950s, domestically they were at the peak of their powers. We don't even need to be the dominant nation or even back to the point we were pre-crisis, we just need to avoid a Great Leap Forward type scenario happening in Australia, which would be incredibly unlikely anyway.

So to use the distant future to shape what we do in the immediate future would ironically be quite short-sighted.

but you will use the distant past to decide things can bounce back quick?

ok we also bounced back from past pandemics without shutting the world down as well,

at least its a strategy, sitting inside waiting isnt a strategy , you need an exit

are you prepared to end up homeless in poverty to ride this out?

but you will use the distant past to decide things can bounce back quick?

ok we also bounced back from past pandemics without shutting the world down as well,

at least its a strategy, sitting inside waiting isnt a strategy , you need an exit

are you prepared to end up homeless in poverty to ride this out?
Yes, it is a strategy. It's a short term strategy to give us time to prepare to ride it out... with the appropriate support from the health system.

You won't be stuck in your house for the next 18 months, but there will be restrictions in place.

interesting times ahead either way

im sure the government has a point of infection and death they consider acceptable
I imagine they have several, for a whole list of possible outcomes...

But for the current crisis, we still have a way to go

im not suggesting tomorrow we say no restrictions lets go, but i think we cant also sit for months it makes no sense, the world will be f’ed
I think there will be treatment that manages infections, not a vaccine within 12 months.

I think Covid-19 will become part of our lives and we will think of it as just another strain of the flu once a vaccine is produced.

I think its impossible it will just disappear.

yeah it just wont be a pandemic is what i read

Remove this Banner Ad

Back