ozzult

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2002
P-Town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
It's only a matter of time before it's official, according to Ch7 news.

CRAZY JOHNS STADIUM IT IS..

I guess we can learn to live with it.

Originally posted by Kenny_01
I don't know if this is good news or bad news.

I'm not even sure it's news.

Crazy John's gets publicity, the WAFC get some money, Crazy John's goes bankrupt before the end of the deal and a new naming sponsor is sought. That would be the sequence, I'd guess.

This is interesting...

Council sees sense in derailing Crazy John's idea
By Peter Ker
June 28 2003

A deal to rename Subiaco Oval "Crazy John's Stadium" could fall through as a result of local government action despite an in-principle agreement being reached by the West Australian Football Commission and a Melbourne mobile phone company this week.

WAFC officials flew to Melbourne this week to meet Crazy John's owner John Ilhan and work out the deal that, if approved, would pump $5 million, plus $500,000 for junior development, into WA football.

WAFC chairman Neale Fong said although not confirmed, the deal was looking "very positive" for both sides, while Crazy John's executive director Brendan Fleiter confirmed that both parties were ready to proceed.

But Subiaco City Council has threatened to derail the negotiations, and Mayor Tony Costa said yesterday that the council would not budge on certain issues.

Signs on the outside of the stadium now loom as the stumbling block, with Costa warning that council would not allow up-market Subiaco's "ambience" to be interrupted by Crazy John's signs.

"If they want to put some more (advertising) names up internally, that is their business, but if they are external and they impact on the streetscape, the ambience or the facade, we would say, 'No way'," he said.

Costa said despite the commercial expectations, street signs around the Subiaco district would also always point to "Subiaco Oval".

"We are in control of the municipal geographics, the street signs and all of that will remain in place, our maps will read as they do now," he said.

In a further complication for the deal, a heritage listing exists on a set of entrance gates to the ground that prominently carry the words "Subiaco Oval".

Fleiter said the external signage was a crucial factor in buying naming-rights to a stadium, and that the deal would probably collapse if the issue could not be resolved.

"This is a naming-rights deal. If you can't get the naming rights, you can't proceed," he said. "A naming-rights package must have signage, otherwise the ground will be recognised by its original name."

A poll in The West Australian newspaper indicated that more than 90 per cent of people were opposed to the proposal. Some didn't want the name changed at all, while others did not like the name of Crazy John's Stadium.

that really does sound quite disgusting, but it will never be called that by me.

Subiaco Oval for ever!!

Subi Council wont approve it IMO.

Being one of the better areas in Perth, they wont allow it to be ridiculed with something like "Crazy Johns Stadium" signs all around the place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by iceman
Of course they wont, but they'll do their best to **** the WAFC off...

They have been doing their best to **** off West aussie footy supporters for years with things like signs that say parking ok -except football days, so why not?

I wish Matera's Cafe had the cash - that would be a good name to have.

I think they should keep the Subiaco Oval signs where they are. Subiaco would be a laughing stock if they had to put up Crazy John Oval signs everywhere with their logo of that guy sticking out his tongue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back