Big Red Machine

His Righteous Red Baron
Jul 11, 2006
Jacuzzi in Lachie Weller Stand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
#BigTruss #BallSoHardU
Early start this time - 5:10pm. Hopefully there's a good turnout but you never know with a Tuesday night fixture.

I'm sure Daniel Hughes will be fired up to hit another big score. He's 2 runs shy of 100 total runs at Carrara so I'm sure he'll want to at least hit that tonight.
Yeah it's interesting, Early start time was a factor in my coming down from North Brissie (Night off work helps)

Looks like they've only sold one section of the stadium - from the scoreboard around the members bar side onwards.

Not a bad turnout for a game between a NSW and VIC side if I'm honest

Hopefully the Gades put up a score that Hughes gets a chance to have a crack at.

Attachments

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Unbelievable! The Sixers chase down a lead and win the game with a boundary on the second last ball again. The exact same situation as Saturday night.

Obviously the Sixers play the Metricon ground really well! Big Red Machine would be ecstatic.

Big Red Machine

His Righteous Red Baron
Jul 11, 2006
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
#BigTruss #BallSoHardU
Unbelievable! The Sixers chase down a lead and win the game with a boundary on the second last ball again. The exact same situation as Saturday night.

Obviously the Sixers play the Metricon ground really well! Big Red Machine would be ecstatic.
Very much so! (Not as much as I am to get into bed after getting home at midnight but a close second)

Actually thought we'd bottled it until Sutherland bottled it even harder to give us the dub.

The Victory Ice Cream (Not to be confused it Bods' victory scotch) was most certainly sweet tonight.

The Victorian

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
19-22 January 1991-First Class 4 DayerQueensland Bulls vs England XIEngland won by 10 wicketsUnavailable-
1st January 1992D/NFirst Class One DayerQueensland Bulls vs West IndiesWest Indies won by 7 wicketsUnavailable-
17th November 2018T20 InternationalAustralia vs South AfricaSouth Africa won by 21 runs12,866FOX
22nd December 20186:00pmBig Bash LeagueBrisbane Heat vs Hobart HurricanesHurricanes win by 15 runs12,791FOX
1st January 20191:45pmBig Bash LeagueBrisbane Heat vs Sydney SixersSixers win by 5 wickets17,106Seven
5th January 20205:15pmBig Bash LeagueMelbourne Stars vs Sydney ThunderStars win by 8 wickets8,156FOX
31st October 201910:00amDomestic One Day CupQueensland Bulls vs Western AustraliaQueensland win by 26 runsUnavailableFOX
20th December 20197:10pmBig Bash LeagueBrisbane Heat vs Melbourne StarsStars win by 22 runs11,969Seven
27th December 20197:10pmBig Bash LeagueMelbourne Stars vs Adelaide StrikersStrikers win by 5 runs7,421FOX
1st January 20207:10pmBig Bash LeagueBrisbane Heat vs Perth ScorchersScorchers win by 40 runs20,135Seven
2nd February 20209:30amFirst Class One DayerCricket Australia XI vs England LionsEngland win by 6 wicketsUnavailableCA
4th February 20209:30amFirst Class One DayerCricket Australia XI vs England LionsEngland win by 4 wicketsUnavailableCA
6th February 20209:30amFirst Class One DayerCricket Australia XI vs England LionsMatch AbandonedUnavailableCA
26th December 20208:20pmBig Bash LeagueMelbourne Stars vs Sydney SixersSixers win by 1 wicketTBASeven
29th December 20205:10pmBig Bash LeagueMelbourne Renegades vs Sydney SixersSixers win by 2 wicketsTBAFOX
1st January 20217:15pmBig Bash LeagueMelbourne Renegades vs Sydney Thunder
3rd January 20217:15pmBig Bash LeagueAdelaide Strikers vs Sydney Sixers
7th January 20219:20pmBig Bash LeagueBrisbane Heat vs Melbourne Stars
10th January 20217:15pmBig Bash LeagueSydney Sixers vs Brisbane Heat

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Four games down. Two games to go.

The last two games to be played at Metricon this year both involve the Brisbane Heat and they are facing the Melbourne Stars as well as the Sydney Sixers. It comes at a crucial time in the season for Brisbane because they've put themselves in a position to push for a finals spot now that they are only one point outside the top 5. I'd like to see the three GC boys in Max Bryant, Xavier Bartlett and Matt Kuhnemann lead the charge for the Heat into the top 5. If I'm not mistaken, the Heat have never won a game at Metricon so I'm sure they'll be looking to snap that losing streak on Thursday night.

They should just bring the Gold Coast District Club into the BBL and rebrand them to the Gold Coast Dolphins, the colours would be Ocean Blue and Sunny bright Yellow and maybe some white
Sounds like a great idea. They used to be based at Carrara back in the Bears days so there is a bit of history there for them.

Jirik13

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just watching Sydney Thunder playing at Optus. Do WA government now allow fly in/out despite borders closed for NSW, Victoria, QLD at the moment? Quite important since AFLW season starts in 3 weeks and SUNS are scheduled to play in Perth too.

Jen2310

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just watching Sydney Thunder playing at Optus. Do WA government now allow fly in/out despite borders closed for NSW, Victoria, QLD at the moment? Quite important since AFLW season starts in 3 weeks and SUNS are scheduled to play in Perth too.
I think atm its different with tge cricket as they are in cricket hubs wherever they go. Hard to say whats gonna happen with the aflw. Hopefully either borders come down or there is some exception.

Jirik13

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think atm its different with tge cricket as they are in cricket hubs wherever they go. Hard to say whats gonna happen with the aflw. Hopefully either borders come down or there is some exception.
During AFL season clubs were also in the hubs and still had to do 14 days quarantine upon arrival before playing a Perth team. It will be interesting to see what will happen with AFLW schedule, arrangements. At present, GWS girls relocated and are training in Albury.

Lions had to cancel a couple of sessions due to lock down.

Jen2310

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
During AFL season clubs were also in the hubs and still had to do 14 days quarantine upon arrival before playing a Perth team. It will be interesting to see what will happen with AFLW schedule, arrangements. At present, GWS girls relocated and are training in Albury.

Lions had to cancel a couple of sessions due to lock down.
They did relocate, with the hope they can then move into vic, as they are meant to have a practice game v vcarlton before round 1. Its looking like the cluster in NSW is looking like pretty much handled. The one in Vic is more or less extinguished now. Hopefully this lockdown in Brisbane works and there is no cases that come from it, then maybe borders can start to come down. But with the WA premier, he is so stubborn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Red Machine

His Righteous Red Baron
Jul 11, 2006
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
#BigTruss #BallSoHardU
You know what?

I think I've seen more clutch wins from the Sixers in the last two weeks at Metricon than I have from the Suns in 10 years...

And that pains me to say on so many levels.

But how good is Dan Christian!? Sixers just have a way of getting performance out of "over the hill" talent (McGill, Lee, Haddin, Christian ect.)

Bjo187

Senior List
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I was trying to look into what the suns stadium deal is but couldn't find anything recent on it. Do they get a slice of the financial pie for these BBL games played at metricon?

Choppers

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2015
Banchang,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was trying to look into what the suns stadium deal is but couldn't find anything recent on it. Do they get a slice of the financial pie for these BBL games played at metricon?
I'm pretty sure this is the current situation.....

The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns. ... Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.Apr 15, 2018

Last edited:

Bjo187

Senior List
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm pretty sure this is the current situation.....

The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns. ... Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.Apr 15, 2018
That sounds pretty good then, i did read something where Cochrane was complaining in 2018 about the deal. Suprising if you guys get the profits from every event held there, seems like a great deal although maybe the leasing costs were too high or something.

Big Red Machine

His Righteous Red Baron
Jul 11, 2006
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
#BigTruss #BallSoHardU
Well done 6ers!!!!
And bring in the GC.
Yes, the boys Boddsy! Always great to knock off the old enemy from over west too!

Hopefully, we get the Gold Coast Guards in the first wave of expansion but you never know with these things. Hopefully, we've put enough of a foot forward this season to entice a franchise coming here.

That said though the longer it draws out the longer I don't have to pick between my team from home and my new home (We don't count Brisbane, sssh)

GC2015

Club Legend
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, the boys Boddsy! Always great to knock off the old enemy from over west too!

Hopefully, we get the Gold Coast Guards in the first wave of expansion but you never know with these things. Hopefully, we've put enough of a foot forward this season to entice a franchise coming here.

That said though the longer it draws out the longer I don't have to pick between my team from home and my new home (We don't count Brisbane, sssh)
I wonder if Brisbane's deep finals run this year has furthered the case for a Gold Coast team? If the depth in Queensland looks solid then they'll have a much easier time convincing Cricket Australia that a second QLD franchise on the Gold Coast is the way to go. We have a suitable venue, we have a decent population, we have some exciting prospects coming through like Bartlett/Bryant and we've proven we can pull a big crowd to BBL fixtures. It's really just whether the cricket depth in Queensland is deep enough to allow for two competitive BBL teams.

Remove this Banner Ad