Cricket folklore commentary needs to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are those stories that were a thrill to hear the first few times that have since lost their lustre? The ones the commentators have changed from a celebration of the heritage of the sport to a time-filling stock line. They don't need to be stricken from the record, but maybe the commentary teams need to delve a little deeper for their anecdotes.

I'll start with: David Boon drinking a shitton of alcohol on a plane flight, Graham Gooch changing his answering machine to acknowledge Terry Alderman getting him out a shitton, Shane Warne not getting a Test century, Nugget Rees existing.

This topic made me automatically think of Ian Chappell and his anecdotes.
Agree that the Shane Warne 99 gets tiring, I reckon that footage got played at least three times for every test at the WACA since 2001.

We’ve got Dizzy and his double century on high rotation at present on 7 and I don’t need to hear about Warne dropping Fleming’s hat trick ball on his birthday ever again!

Came here expressly to mention this.

Also Boon being referred to as the Keg on Legs by Warne every time the hat trick is mentioned.

Ambrose getting his bat stuck in a WACA crack - yeah we get it, the cracks were big.

Harmison’s wide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Border's quip to Dean Jones in the Madras test (something something 'we'll get a queenslander out here if you can't handle the heat')
First thing I thought of when I watched the scene in the Bodyline series where Jardine is portrayed as Satan himself for getting Paynter out of hospital to come and bat. Wonder if one day we'll get a Bollywood film where Border getting Deano to put himself to hospital is painted in the same light.

We’ve got Dizzy and his double century on high rotation at present on 7 and I don’t need to hear about Warne dropping Fleming’s hat trick ball on his birthday ever again!

Dizzy's double also got a good run on Fox Cricket during play including highlights. You can't escape it!\

Although it did lead to Gilchrist talking about his 100 in the same series which he regards as his best. That's one i hadn't heard before.

McGrath's 50
I'll generally agree with most things here, but that was one of the greatest moments in cricketing history. it was akin with Lara scoring 500

I'll generally agree with most things here, but that was one of the greatest moments in cricketing history. it was akin with Lara scoring 500

Unrelated but I always found it hilarious the way McGrath would walk off shaking his head after he’s been dismissed, as though he’d been cruelly denied a double century or something. Every time without fail

What are those stories that were a thrill to hear the first few times that have since lost their lustre? The ones the commentators have changed from a celebration of the heritage of the sport to a time-filling stock line. They don't need to be stricken from the record, but maybe the commentary teams need to delve a little deeper for their anecdotes.

I'll start with: David Boon drinking a shitton of alcohol on a plane flight, Graham Gooch changing his answering machine to acknowledge Terry Alderman getting him out a shitton, Shane Warne not getting a Test century, Nugget Rees existing.

I am a complete and utter cricket nuffy... but never heard the gooch story.

I am a complete and utter cricket nuffy... but never heard the gooch story.
His answering machine during the summer of 1989 was supposed to say I'm out probably lbw Alderman. There was also that bit of graffiti that said Thatcher Out to which someone had added lbw Alderman.

His answering machine during the summer of 1989 was supposed to say I'm out probably lbw Alderman. There was also that bit of graffiti that said Thatcher Out to which someone had added lbw Alderman.

That piece of graffiti was located on the Berlin Wall, of all places!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back