NRL 2016 NRL Premiers Cronulla Sharks discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping a lid on it, but geez we are looking strong.

3 in the NSW squad. Origin time is a momentum killer.
We're lucky to have a pretty good schedule in terms of players missing games for Origin. Byes in R12 + R15, and then Monday night games in R13 and R19 so backing up shouldn't be a problem for either of those. R18 is the only week we will definitely have players out, and possibly in R16 (playing Saturday after Origin).

Keeping a lid on it, but geez we are looking strong.

3 in the NSW squad. Origin time is a momentum killer.

It is, but the way I'm looking at at least the team have made a brilliant start to the season.

Anything but top 4 would be a disappointment - dare I say top 2. Long way to go yet.

BIG Monday Night Football win. Hung in and kept attacking against a sturdy Bulldogs defence.

Sharks did a lot of attacking and just werent as efficient in completing the tries.

Maloney had an average night but kicked the goal at the critical point.

Stoked. A nice B'Day present.

Not a high quality game by any means, but once again the Sharks find a way to win. I've seen both sides play much better footy this season, but the Sharks found a play when dead on their feet to score that winning try. Great kick from Maloney.

That's 10 wins in a row for the Sharkies now. Tough win against the Cowboys. Good for the boys to learn they can knock over the reigning premiers.

Valentine Holmes huge run and try was a top shelf.

Two Monday Night wins in a row. :D:thumbsu: Banking away some valuable points now. Top 4 looking more and more possible.

We've now got at least 1 win against every team we've played :thumbsu:.

A couple big home games coming up against an improving Warriors side and the Eels.

Warriors will be a tough game. Eels are always good value. Exciting times.

Winning becomes a habit and I hope it continues.

I saw this with the Dockers last year but they ran out of steam however I think the Sharks have the youth/experience mix almost perfect. At the moment they look built to win.

Controversial penalty try and an 87th minute field goal from Maloney saw us across the line against the Warriors tonight.

Penalty looked to be there for mine and Bukuya, who was in front position, was definitely impeded by Simon Mannering and the ball did not make the dead ball line before both players got to the ball. I am biased I know but I think the bunker got this one right.

Well done, top two finish is now on the cards.

GO SHARKIES!

Yup, in the spirit of things the penalty try was there. Mannering used Bukuya to not only stop his progress but to slingshot his own momentum to get to the ball first. Bukuya would have had several metres to figure out how to plant the bouncing ball.

If a bouncing ball is a problem as they indicated, then how many situations are there where a penalty try be awarded? Head high shot on the way down to score, or if the ball has stopped dead in the in goal area. Certainly he was going to get there way before it went near the dead ball line.

We take the 2 points in an unconvincing win happily. These are the games we would normally drop, when we have an opportunity to pull away from the teams behind.

Scrappy win no doubt a valuable win over a good team that turned up to play. Some points
  • I agree that was a penalty try. As Old Dark Navy's said Mannering clearly blocked and then slingshot his way off Bukuya.
  • Fifita's head really bounced off the pitch. I was a little surprised he came back on as he look dazed coming off. Hopefully he'll be right to go next week.
  • What happened to Holmes?
  • Solid defending.
  • 28 points and clear at the top with two byes already.

Last edited:
Yup, in the spirit of things the penalty try was there. Mannering used Bukuya to not only stop his progress but to slingshot his own momentum to get to the ball first. Bukuya would have had several metres to figure out how to plant the bouncing ball.

If a bouncing ball is a problem as they indicated, then how many situations are there where a penalty try be awarded? Head high shot on the way down to score, or if the ball has stopped dead in the in goal area. Certainly he was going to get there way before it went near the dead ball line.

We take the 2 points in an unconvincing win happily. These are the games we would normally drop, when we have an opportunity to pull away from the teams behind.

Very good point. In the past we have dropped too many close ones so hopefully winning those close ones will make all the difference this year. There is a new found desperation and hopefully the boys have started to believe they can win from tight situations. Looking good but fingers still crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Bulldogs weren't looking good this year I would definitely be barracking for the Sharks this year. Would love to see them win a premiership. Hope we don't meet you in the Grand Final. It would be a bit bittersweet if we won.

If the Bulldogs weren't looking good this year I would definitely be barracking for the Sharks this year. Would love to see them win a premiership. Hope we don't meet you in the Grand Final. It would be a bit bittersweet if we won.

A grand final appearance is as good as a premiership for us :p

12 in a row Club record...

Up, up, Cronulla,
the boys in the black white and blue.
Up, up, Cronulla,
name of the sharks fits you.
Sharks, sharks, forever
go out and play without fear.
Now’s the time to see good football,
cause the sharks are here!
Up the sharks!

What really impressed me was coming back from 18-0 down. It was early enough in the game you could sense (well I could, may have been the scotch) the irresistible momentum that the lads were coming storm over the top which would've been unthinkable last season.

Geez I hope we can bottle this form and keep it until finals.

Plus a club record winning streak.

Up Up Cronulla.

As long as they can bottle the great form or keep continuing to improve then great. A loss is going to come sooner or later you'd think.

If the team were to have a form dip around finals that would be disastrous.

I reckon the pressure is going to be immense no matter what happens - especially with the Storm and Cowboys breathing down the Sharks necks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back