Game Day Crows Internal Trial - Friday February 17th, 4:30pm, Hisense Arena

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone else seemed to be able to follow to conversation. Maybe look inward.
This was the second or third post on the topic in relation to whether McAdam will kick more than 30 goals, not be in the team.
Opportunities = chances to kick 30 goals or more.

Not that hard mate.
Like I said.. I went back and read the posts/ comments that lead up to it too.. with Kane responding.

Your claim is with rankine, rachele and pedlar now in the side that means Mcadam will get less opportunities..

Now anyone could interpret that as less opportunities to make the 22.. but you’ve clarified and said no, you meant less opportunities to kick goals..

Which makes no sense..

Like I first responded to you with… with rankine, rachele and pedlar in rhe side.. mcadam should get more opportunities and have even less pressure on him and be more free to do what he does..

Because, unlike when he was alongside spuds like rowe, murph and mchenry in the forward line, he will now be getting less focus from the opposition who will now need to combat rankine, rachele and pedlar.

Make sense?..

Then you lumped mcadam in with rowe, murphy and mchenry saying “he was the best of that bad bunch” effectively calling him “bad”..

When its clear to anyone who watched the last few years that mcadam is far better than those other spuds.

Like I said.. I went back and read the posts/ comments that lead up to it too.. with Kane responding.

Your claim is with rankine, rachele and pedlar now in the side that means Mcadam will get less opportunities..

Now anyone could interpret that as less opportunities to make the 22.. but you’ve clarified and said no, you meant less opportunities to kick goals..

Which makes no sense..

Like I first responded to you with… with rankine, rachele and pedlar in rhe side.. mcadam should get more opportunities and have even less pressure on him and be more free to do what he does..

Because, unlike when he was alongside spuds like rowe, murph and mchenry in the forward line, he will now be getting less focus from the opposition who will now need to combat rankine, rachele and pedlar.

Make sense?..

Then you lumped mcadam in with rowe, murphy and mchenry saying “he was the best of that bad bunch” effectively calling him “bad”..

When its clear to anyone who watched the last few years that mcadam is far better than those other spuds.
No. Get your reading comprehension skills in order before accusing others of "s**t takes", when the "s**t take" isn't even what you have imagined.
And frankly try and work on your rudeness.

Yes this.

They should be focusing on him as a mobile key forward where he can develop into an absolute monster for us...let others ruck and maybe thilthorpe canpinch hit as needed

Exactly. With our forward line, we should be exposing TT as much as possible up there this year. Tex and Fog will get the best 2 defenders, which give TT a chance to work it out.

This is a hell of a forward line....

McAdam Fogarty Rankine
Thilthorpe Tex Rachele

Exactly. With our forward line, we should be exposing TT as much as possible up there this year. Tex and Fog will get the best 2 defenders, which give TT a chance to work it out.

McAdam Fogarty Rankine
Thilthorpe Tex Rachele

Add Pedlar in the forward rotations and it looks even better

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

McAdam Fogarty Rankine
Thilthorpe Tex Rachele
It will take some time for TT to demand the targets away from Tex and Fog IMO.

With those 2 as our primary lead up targets, Riley will probably be lucky to get 1-2 kicks his direction per quarter to start the season. But at some point this year I see him swaying that target ratio in his direction.

Just needs to win the trust of the players kicking into F50. Which is a natural part of development for a player like him. Doesn't happen overnight, but if he starts clunking a few more contested grabs, it will start to flow towards him.

With those 2 as our primary lead up targets, Riley will probably be lucky to get 1-2 kicks his direction per quarter to start the season. But at some point this year I see him swaying that target ratio in his direction.

Just needs to win the trust of the players kicking into F50. Which is a natural part of development for a player like him. Doesn't happen overnight, but if he starts clunking a few more contested grabs, it will start to flow towards him.
I keep saying this, but I think TT will only come into his own once Tex departs.

I don't think it's all about demanding targets.
He took only one mark on Friday, and it was a good one. The rest of the time, the ball went through his hands. Even on the ball, his positioning and tapping was awful, and he was sloppy in his ball-on-ground skills. He did do a few good things though.

I think the main point to realise is that he needs to increase the consistency of his basic skills: they are nowhere near what they were when he first started with us. Some heavy coaching is needed, both from the ruck coach, and others.

I keep saying this, but I think TT will only come into his own once Tex departs.
I used to say the same about Fog.

I think it's more about how we structure up. Using our CHF further up the ground (which in turn allows ROB to stay a kick behind the ball), will give TT a bit more space to work in the 50.

I'd actually prefer for TT to be the high CHF long term, but I think initially it should be Tex given his experience and skill.

Hmm that’s what I said when I got back from the game, instead was told how well Jones and Sloane did.

Sloane 3 kicks and 10 handballs is not what you want from a wingman.

Consider that Sholl was on the shitty team all game and that makes his game even better.

Soligos low CBA is disturbing
I don’t think any of our wingman stood out, I will admit I watched the blue team more, I know Sloane’s k to hb is not what you want but on 2/3 Occassion he did draw an opponent to put a teammate in space, I thought Jones was better than Hinge, neither doing much, and didn’t realise Scholl was on Sloane so my bad

I cant see the three all playing forward the same time, I think TT will chop out for Tex and Fog, I think our small medium forward balance is good

I wasn't at the game, but watched the stream twice. I can't agree that Sholl had a good game. He got the ball, but was mostly tackled immediately. His kicking is not as good as advertised under pressure and he didn't seem to have any impact to me. I would agree that he is not avoiding contact this year, which is a good thing.

Hately also apparently had good stats, but little impact.
agree sholl was horid. will not play an AFL match this year IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the second quarter? He would have had close to 10 touches
I haven't watched the replay, but he seemed to still have no influence despite getting touches, which is why I was happy to see him out of the team last year.

For someone who lacks in the contested area, you want him getting the ball in space and using his footskills to set up play. If he's not doing that then he's not an afl player imo.

I haven't watched the replay, but he seemed to still have no influence despite getting touches, which is why I was happy to see him out of the team last year.

For someone who lacks in the contested area, you want him getting the ball in space and using his footskills to set up play. If he's not doing that then he's not an afl player imo.

I don't think it's a death sentence to a wingers career if they're not setting up play, even if they're not that contested. Ed Langdon is the poster boy there as someone who's seen a fair bit of success despite being someone that's primarily used as a link in the chain moreso then a playmaker. McIntosh in the Richmond dynasty side also fit into that category as another who primarily offerred gut running on a wing (and is actively a worse player than Sholl)

Last edited:

That's right. If you go back to an early-season game against Geelong that we won easily some time ago, he was continuously by himself in space and receiving the ball: he carved them up. That's his game. Once the oppos twigged, then they just put in the effort to shut him down. He has put on muscle and is not avoiding contests now, but his effectiveness has disappeared due to harrassed disposal.

Without advanced stats it’s hard to back up a statement like that, but I believe his metres gained would have been ahead of any of our other wingman.

What we do know is he won more of the ball than any of our other wingman, he wasn’t shirking the contest and if you’re going to pick a wingman based on that game it’s him. Unless we continue with Nicks trying to convert the wingman in a midfielder and we are content with a wingman who handballs.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Sloane goes with the trials, but if he keeps that up he shouldn’t be playing.

Without advanced stats it’s hard to back up a statement like that, but I believe his metres gained would have been ahead of any of our other wingman.

What we do know is he won more of the ball than any of our other wingman, he wasn’t shirking the contest and if you’re going to pick a wingman based on that game it’s him. Unless we continue with Nicks trying to convert the wingman in a midfielder and we are content with a wingman who handballs.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Sloane goes with the trials, but if he keeps that up he shouldn’t be playing.
Stats don't measure influence very well. It's an eye test and Sholl failed that last year (I didn't see any change based on the internal).

I liked Sholl when he first came in. I didn't care that he was a runt with no speed or power, because he was getting the ball in space and was genuinely dangerous by foot. He was hitting 40m targets on either side (I think he's more dangerous on the left). I feel like now he's getting more rushed possessions (handballs and kicks to contests) and has stopped taking risks.

Unless he gets his mojo back by foot and learns to get more footy in space, I don't think he has a place in the team. I hope the coaches have thought the same.

I don't think it's a death sentence to a wingers career if they're not setting up play, even if they're not that contested. Ed Langdon is the poster boy there as someone who's seen a fair bit of success despite being someone that's primarily used as a link in the chain moreso then a playmaker. McIntosh in the Richmond dynasty side also fit into that category as another who primarily offerred gut running on a wing (and is actively a worse player than Sholl)
So wrong re McIntosh during Richmond's premiership years.

Langdon is also a poor comparison. That guy has serious speed and genuine influence on games.

In fairness some were saying that about Fog as well - and he did it anyway.

He just needs time to build belief in himself at this level. That could happen this year or next - but once he feels comfortable out there he has all the tools to dominate games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He just needs time to build belief in himself at this level. That could happen this year or next - but once he feels comfortable out there he has all the tools to dominate games

What was disappointing it was an internal trial and he had a chance to make a statement

Stats don't measure influence very well. It's an eye test and Sholl failed that last year (I didn't see any change based on the internal).

I liked Sholl when he first came in. I didn't care that he was a runt with no speed or power, because he was getting the ball in space and was genuinely dangerous by foot. He was hitting 40m targets on either side (I think he's more dangerous on the left). I feel like now he's getting more rushed possessions (handballs and kicks to contests) and has stopped taking risks.

Unless he gets his mojo back by foot and learns to get more footy in space, I don't think he has a place in the team. I hope the coaches have thought the same.
Which of our wings on the weekend influenced the game more?

Just a reminder to this board that Thilthorpe is only 20 years of age.

Not too many dominant key position players at this age in the AFL.

We need to show some patience before he hits the 50 game mark.

Back