scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Scanning through the Hall of Fame list I can see Ablett, Chapman, Enright, Ling, Bartel, Corey and Harley are all in it. I am going to guess because this has to do with individual awards that offer automatic inclusion to the HOF, e.g. Harley a premiership captain, Enright has a B&F in a Premiership year, Ablett and Bartel both have Brownlows, Chapman a Smithy, etc etc.

Is this correct?

Also how do Corey and Ling fit in?

Don't think it comes as an automatic thing, I think they have been inducted (allowable under the club Hall of Fame, unlike the league version).

Is this a suit and tie, night of nights kind of thing or do we just edit a table on the internet?

Okay.

I find it interesting that you can make the Hall of Fame when you are still playing. Like if a player got up, shafted the club and walked out or something they are still in it. Seems premature.

This year it was a combined Season Launch & Hall of Fame Dinner in early March. :thumbsu:

Has been for the last couple of years; from memory, catergories include League Awards (Coleman, Brownlow, etc.), x amount of top 3 :confused: finishes in B&F, years service as well....ie. Wocjinski got his HOF for 10 years service to the club....theres others, the crieria has extended itself and evolved...

I find it interesting that you can make the Hall of Fame when you are still playing. Like if a player got up, shafted the club and walked out or something they are still in it. Seems premature.
I sort of agree with you. Certainly players should be earmarked during their career, but perhaps induction happens post-career?

I sort of agree with you. Certainly players should be earmarked during their career, but perhaps induction happens post-career?

yep, it's a strange one. on the other hand, a lot of hall of fame worthy players finish their careers and go on to work at other clubs, so you can't exactly induct then while they're plotting to beat you, or you can wait 20-odd years until they've finished working in the AFL system and a lot of fans have forgotten how good they are.

and who knows. hall of fame membership might be a subtle way of tying players to the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep, it's a strange one. on the other hand, a lot of hall of fame worthy players finish their careers and go on to work at other clubs, so you can't exactly induct then while they're plotting to beat you, or you can wait 20-odd years until they've finished working in the AFL system and a lot of fans have forgotten how good they are.

and who knows. hall of fame membership might be a subtle way of tying players to the club

Steven King is in the HOF, riddle me THAT! :eek: Of course he was a Carji winner and he did 10 years hard time at the club so rock n' roll i guess. Bet he still hugs his premiership medallion every night before he goes to sleep to numb the pain of playing for the Greatest Team Ever (To Win Nothing).

Just on league awards getting a HOF inclusion, Norm Smiths mustn't count? I didn't see Steve Johnson's name on the list.

Is our HoF too bloated? Personally would like to see it be more selective and truly represent the absolute greats of the club.

Gary Ablett junior
Gary Ablett senior
Tom Arklay
Les Armstrong
Mark Bairstow
Jimmy Bartel
Andrew Bews
Rod Blake
Mark Blicavs
Mark Bos
Terry Bright
Billy Brownless
Charles Brownlow
Neville Bruns
Peter Burns
Paul Chapman
David E. Clarke
Wayne Closter
Arthur Coghlan
Jack L. Collins
Joel Corey
Frank Costa
Paul Couch
Tim Darcy
Bob Davis
John Devine
Percy Douglass
Alec Eason
Bill Eason
Corey Enright
Jack L. Evans
Graham Farmer
Fred Flanagan
Bill Goggin
Ben Graham
Edward Greeves
Dick Grigg
Cam Guthrie
Lloyd Hagger
William (Ben) "Trusty" Hall
Les Hardiman
Peter Hardiman
Tom Harley
Fred Hawking
Jack Hawkins
Reg Hickey
Dave Hickinbotham
Ken Hinkley
Garry Hocking
Steven Hocking
Ron Hovey
Josh Hunt
John Hyde
Steve Johnson
James Kelly
Steven King
Cameron Ling
Tom Lonergan
Alistair Lord
Andrew Mackie
Gary Malarkey
Michael Mansfield
Denis Marshall
Harry Marsham
Percy Martini
Billy McCarter
Tim McGrath
Hughie McLean
Phil "Shilley" McShane
Joe McShane
David Mensch
Darren Milburn
George M. Moloney
Cam Mooney
Bruce Morrison
Angie Muller
Bruce Nankervis
Ian J. Nankervis
Robert Neal
Ken Newland
Ernest Newling
John Newman
John O'Neill
Brad Ottens
Peter Pianto
Alex Popescu
Tommy Quinn
Bert Rankin
Cliff Rankin
Teddy Rankin
Russell Renfrey
Peter Riccardi
Max Rooke
Bill R. Ryan
Brenton Sanderson
John Scarlett
Matthew Scarlett
Joe Sellwood
Brad Sholl
Joe Slater
Bernie Smith
Mathew Stokes
Barry Stoneham
George Todd
Neil Trezise
Leo Turner
Michael Turner
Doug Wade
Peter Walker
Roy West
Lindsay White
Geoff Williams
Tom Wills
Jack Williams
Jimmy Wilson Jnr
David Wojcinski
Fred Wooller
Mark Yeates
Henry Young

Please create a order list of who you would cut, and provide a reason why.
We love him, but I did a comical double take at Brad Sholl being in there.

OTOH if you've been around nearly 200 years you're going to have a fair few people in regardless of criteria.

We love him, but I did a comical double take at Brad Sholl being in there.

OTOH if you've been around nearly 200 years you're going to have a fair few people in regardless of criteria.
I suspect it's c/o being a B&F winner.

It's an interesting lineup. I don't know how Mensch gets in there, or Max Rooke.

Please create a order list of who you would cut, and provide a reason why.
Wojinski, Hunt, Stokes, Sholl, Rooke, Riccardi, Mensch, Mackie, Lonergan for a start should be nowhere near HOF. I would much prefer that it's more exclusive.

Wojinski, Hunt, Stokes, Sholl, Rooke, Riccardi, Mensch, Mackie, Lonergan for a start should be nowhere near HOF. I would much prefer that it's more exclusive.

I meant a personalised reason for each player's exclusion.

If the reason is justified on case by case basis then the club can hold a public ritual where their status will be removed and they will be returned to their place as an ordinary former Geelong footballer.

I think you're being harsh on Riccardi, but I agree on the rest. Simply put, they were decent footballers, but not HOF level good.

If Wojo, Hunt, Stokes, Rooke, Mackie or Lonners had played what I'll call the Ronnie Burns era, they never would have gotten in.

I suspect it's c/o being a B&F winner.

It's an interesting lineup. I don't know how Mensch gets in there, or Max Rooke.
Sholl didn't win a B&F, I don't think? Came second in 96.

I think you're being harsh on Riccardi, but I agree on the rest. Simply put, they were decent footballers, but not HOF level good.

If Wojo, Hunt, Stokes, Rooke, Mackie or Lonners had played what I'll call the Ronnie Burns era, they never would have gotten in.
All of those guys with the exception of Rooke would have been in the HOF had they played in previous eras purely because of the volume of games they played. Obviously that is partially reflective of the way professionalism is extending careers, but equally it's true that a lot of guys now look out of place in the HOF because the last 20 years has raised the bar significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back