Toast 2023 AFL Hall of Fame inductees - Jimmy Bartel & Corey Enright

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of people don't remember just how good Bartel was in his prime. Was an absolute weapon. Elite contested mark, animal in the contest and more than damaging enough with his ball use. His best was right up there through 07-11 (particularly 07-10).

2007-2008 he was an absolute beast.

Footballer's footballer, Jimmy. Great in the wet of course.

Strong Finals record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not everyone can make it

Don't rate Chapman Lana?
I've got him up alongside Enright and Bartel; one of my very favourite Cats.

Chapman's CV not dissimilar to Bartel's, apart from the small matter of a Brownlow.

Both have a Norm Smith, both 2x All Australian. Chapman has a Carji, Bartel does not. Chapman every bit the Finals performer that Bartel was.

I think Chapman should be in the conversation, personally.

Don't rate Chapman Lana?

Chapman's CV not dissimilar to Bartel's, apart from the small matter of a Brownlow.

Both have a Norm Smith, both 2x All Australian. Chapman has a Carji, Bartel does not. Chapman every bit the Finals performer that Bartel was.

No doubt CC. As both Jimmy and Boris remarked in their speeches they expect many more teammates to join them.

Wait - Is Chappy in yet!?

2007-2008 he was an absolute beast.

Footballer's footballer, Jimmy. Great in the wet of course.

Strong Finals record.
Outstanding finals player.

Bartel '07-'11 in finals went at 1.9 combined goals/assists and over 20 touches a game. I daresay not too many players this century outside of Ablett and Martin could say that.

Norm Smith in one premiership year, Brownlow in another, named in our best players 13 out of 15 finals including several BOGs.

Jimmy stepped up in so many big games and tight tussles including slogs in the wet - with his forward cameos a particular highlight. Take Bartel out of our midfield and teams would've been able to swarm Ablett. You could try (and likely fail) to stop one but you weren't going to stop both.

He's nearly top of the tree for that fantastic Geelong dynasty side. Top 5 definitely.

Just out of interest - could someone list all the Geelong players in the hall of fame

And outside of Farmer - i reckon a certain player who wore Number 2 - is next best behind G Farmer

Take Bartel out of our midfield and teams would've been able to swarm Ablett. You could try (and likely fail) to stop one but you weren't going to stop both.

Absolutely; that's why it was a champion team - Cameron Ling also with that selfless, defensively-minded and disciplined game that complemented Ablett and Bartel so well. Then you had Corey who worked as hard as anyone and who ran over the top of his opponents. Potent combination.

Just out of interest - could someone list all the Geelong players in the hall of fame

And outside of Farmer - i reckon a certain player who wore Number 2 - is next best behind G Farmer

what about your mate Billy Goggin? he's in, from memory; do you really rate him so highly?

from my understanding he was one of the top rovers in the comp for a decade, fit, skilled and consistent.

Denis Marshall is in, yes.

The next few years are just going to be a parade of Cats and Hawks getting inducted.

They might as well just put our whole team from that era in the HoF tbh just to save time. Almost all of them were All Australians:

B: Milburn (1xAA) Scarlett (6xAA) Harley (1xAA)
HB: Mackie (1xAA) Taylor (2xAA) Enright (6xAA)
C: Corey (2xAA) Kelly (1xAA) Ling (1xAA)
HF: Chapman (2xAA) Mooney (1xAA) Johnson (3xAA)
F: Bartel (2xAA) Hawkins (5xAA) Varcoe
Foll: Ottens (1xAA) Ablett Jr (8xAA) Selwood (6xAA)
Int: Blake Byrnes Rooke Wojcinski

This was our 2009 Grand Final team btw. :shoutyoldman:

Don't rate Chapman Lana?

It's not about rate or not rate

They induct around 5 players a year, around three of those tend to be recent retirees.

At the resolution that these players are judged on a lot of the finer details gets lost.

I was surprise that Bartel was inducted this soon, his resume is relatively light for a near immediate induction to the HoF.

A pair of Brownlow and Norm Smith do a lot of heavily lifting, it is a great combo, best player in a year, best player on the most important day.

Compare Mitchell's resume to Bartel's resume. An extra All Australian and 5 Bnfs for a Norm Smith, premiership Captain. Corey Enright has 4 more All Australian's and 2 bnfs instead of the Brownlow and the Norm Smith.

Chapman's resume is at 1 Bnf, 2 All Australians and Norm Smith.

Tom Stewart currently is at 1 Bnf, 4 All Australians

It's not about rate or not rate

They induct around 5 players a year, around three of those tend to be recent retirees.

At the resolution that these players are judged on a lot of the finer details gets lost.

I was surprise that Bartel was inducted this soon, his resume is relatively light for a near immediate induction to the HoF.

A pair of Brownlow and Norm Smith do a lot of heavily lifting, it is a great combo, best player in a year, best player on the most important day.

Compare Mitchell's resume to Bartel's resume. An extra All Australian and 5 Bnfs for a Norm Smith, premiership Captain. Corey Enright has 4 more All Australian's and 2 bnfs instead of the Brownlow and the Norm Smith.

Chapman's resume is at 1 Bnf, 2 All Australians and Norm Smith.

Tom Stewart currently is at 1 Bnf, 4 All Australians

Bartel was most likely in the AA 40 man squad for about 8 years. 07-14. Deserved another AA or 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back