Current Cats in GFC Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Please create a order list of who you would cut, and provide a reason why.
Didn't realise I'd need to provide an essay. Does it need be college ruled?
Just thought that our 119, soon to be 122 inductees looks bloated when I stumbled across Richmond's which has 9 immortals and 60 HoF members.

Wojinski, Hunt, Stokes, Sholl, Rooke, Riccardi, Mensch, Mackie, Lonergan for a start should be nowhere near HOF. I would much prefer that it's more exclusive.

Ridiculous they are in Geelongs hall of fame- and also Tim Darcy he should not be in it

And agree with Art Vandelays point , miles too many in it , and that really cheapens it for me

But if you are going to include everyone and his brother , then the glaring ommission in my opinion is Peter Featherby

And there must not be a 100 game minium qual to get in because Denis Marshall ( who was a champion player - 2nd in a Brownlow etc ) didnt play 100 games for the Cats - and Featherby was the same just under 100

Featherby won the Best and Fairest in 81 when Geel had a very strong side - finished 2nd or 3rd on the ladder , and i rate B/Fs won much higher when the team is very strong because you have alot of quality players to beat . Where as most of the 70s and 80s Geel were no good at all and average to good players won B/Fs

But Featherby was a highly talented player and a clever player

Wojinski, Hunt, Stokes, Sholl, Rooke, Riccardi, Mensch, Mackie, Lonergan for a start should be nowhere near HOF. I would much prefer that it's more exclusive.
Wojo is a triple flag player- that SHOULD be justifiably an automatic in. Plus he was a gun, and a point of difference at that stage, and still very difficult to replace.
Mackie- ditto Wojo.

Just checked AFL tables and looking at the games played by Cats over the years. When I started following Geelong around 1976, i saw that Bill Goggin was the highest games played with 248 when he retired, then his tally was passed by Sam Newman (300), then Ian (325) and Bruce (253) Nankervis as at their retirements in 1983.

So the last 42 seasons (I still almost refer to 1984 as Year 1 Gary Sr joining), we've had all these players exceed Goggin's tally. You'd just about have to have all these in the Geelong HOF particularly with many having won Flags.

Selwood (355)
Hawkins (354)
Enright (332)
Bartel (305)
Milburn (292)
Riccardi (288)
Scarlett (284)
Duncan (281)
Mackie (280)
Taylor (280)
Corey (276)
G.Hocking (274)
Couch (259)
Blicavs (254)
S.Johnson (253)
Chapman (251)

Just below Goggin comes Gary Jr (247) and Ling (246), then Hickey & M.Turner (245) and Gary Sr (242)

So as a 56 y/o fan, the only players I really didn't see on that list was Hickey and Goggin. In a clubs HOF I reckon all those named if for no other reason by dint of longevity, but also other qualities to play such long careers, they'd all be thoroughly deserving in our HOF. No duds play long careers in footy, no matter what era.

Wojo is a triple flag player- that SHOULD be justifiably an automatic in. Plus he was a gun, and a point of difference at that stage, and still very difficult to replace.
Mackie- ditto Wojo.
I think I may have the comprehensive book written by Colin Hutchinson released after the 1983 season, and he included a section called 'The Cats Whiskers' or something with players named for fulfilling particular criteria. Haven't got the book to hand, but among that criteria were being a Premiership player or selected in a Grand Final side, being named captain in at least one game, winning a B & F (or Brownlow) and kicking 7 goals in a game. Think there were a couple of other criteria too, but that's what I recall. I wonder if some of the nominations may have been based at the time on Colin's vast experience as a fan and statistician for Geelong over his many decades of following and working for Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back