Curtly Hampton - what's going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, this isn't me bagging Hampton. Read on.

Hampton has been in our SANFL side since R7, having been injured before that. For most of that time we've had 8-10 of our best 22 players missing from the AFL team, and several of the players who have been selected are screaming out to be dropped. Despite this he still hasn't even been named on the emergency lists, and probably won't be when the team is named later tonight.

On the face of it, he'd be an upgrade on CEY, and I could see a case for him replacing Mackay and Gibson as well. I don't rate Hampton, but these players are performing so badly that even I would be prepared to consider replacing them with him.

I was mocked earlier this year for suggesting that he wouldn't be in our best 30 players. We're now looking at 26 players being named (including emergencies), with 8 players on the injury list, and Hampton isn't one of them. That means he's now 35+ on the list.

Even I don't think he's the 35th best player on our list. He's better than that. There has to be more to this story. Why is he persona non grata at the selection table?

I'm wondering if Hampton's situation is similar to Menzel's last year? Menzel played out his contract before retiring to the amateur competition. He wasn't considered for selection for most of the year, and I get the feeling that Menzel was quite content with this situation.

I also suspect that CM is a part of the reason for Hampton's mysterious circumstances in 2018.

What's going on? Does anyone have the full story?

Right now yes, he would be; that's more to do with us moving CEY away from a pure inside role.

My guess is we've stamped his card (or he's mentioned he's not happy and wants to be delisted at the end of the season), and moved on.

Hampton might have a 'games played' contract trigger for a monetary bonus and we want to be damn sure he doesn't trigger it for salary cap reasons

Or more possibly, he has a contract extension trigger, say 2018 + 1 if games played quota is met.

We did something very similar to Henderson a few years back, dropped him, and froze him out before he played the game where he was hitting that trigger.

Or more possibly, he has a contract extension trigger, say 2018 + 1 if games played quota is met.

We did something very similar to Henderson a few years back, dropped him, and froze him out before he played the game where he was hitting that trigger.
This has been suggested. He's only played 10 games in 3 years. I doubt that would get him anywhere near a games trigger level.

We haven't even seen him named on the emergency list. Selecting him there, and playing him in the SANFL, wouldn't count towards the trigger either.

So they have decided he is the only player on our list who shouldn't be brought into our AFL side prematurely from a poor fitness base or injury?

To be honest with the way opposition teams cut though our midfield with run and carry, it does my head in that we refuse to put someone with genuine closing speed into our midfield mix. Whilst he may make some poor decisions with ball, he'd probably stop 5 goals from transition.
Because he has literally spent his entire 3 years here and most of his career not being able to play football consistently.

This has been suggested. He's only played 10 games in 3 years. I doubt that would get him anywhere near a games trigger level.

We haven't even seen him named on the emergency list. Selecting him there, and playing him in the SANFL, wouldn't count towards the trigger either.

The number jumps up to 23 games if you factor in games missed through injuries in AFL games (not counting post-SANFL injuries)

37 games if you count his foot injury at the start of 2016.

The number jumps up to 23 games if you factor in games missed through injuries in AFL games (not counting post-SANFL injuries)

37 games if you count his foot injury at the start of 2016.
His 2016 foot injury wasn't caused by playing a senior game, so that wouldn't be counted.

Maybe it's the most probable answer in terms of lengthy injury layoff - usually you play games in SANFL to find fitness AND form.
I haven't watched any of the SANFL games this year, has Hampton been in peak fitness and form?

Hampton should be playing as a pressure forward that can hit the scoreboard. We have nobody atm thats able to do this role and it is perfect for hampton. They have tried to make him an inside mid, a defender, a wingman.. wtf. Just put him in the forward line and let him go to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back