Streaming Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

finished watching it last week. i liked the slow burn, it heightened the sense of loneliness and alienation in dahmer's life.
also liked how it tried to tackle the nuts and bolts a bit... what might have made him tick, upbringing, the nature of forgiveness.
captured very well the failure to overcome base urges in spite of the relationships he could fashion being the antidote to some of his loneliness.

there's an obvious irony in a tv show portraying the family seizing any profits made from any financial endeavours relating to the crimes. i wish i knew more about what families thought of this show and what input they had. curious what would happen if the families came calling again.

one of the best features of shows like this, in a couple of ways, is the implied nature of some of the acts taking place. it helps step away from complete glorification but it's no less dark.

I finished the series and while it isnt a comfortable watch, it is historical. I remember the story breaking and how bizarre it was/is, it's the historical part that makes me watch.

It's very well made and I'm not smart enough to explain the different angles the story is told from.. The Victims, the Parents, the Neighbours, the community, the Police, but it is done with much skill, and dare I suggest, with much care.

The series makes you feel for everyone, even Dahmer at times.

"I'd completely forgot, or had never realised he himself was murdered. I watched the entire series under the presumption he was still alive so the final episode was not what I expected.. But In 1994 I was dropping acid and smoking alotta weed so must have missed that news bulletin.

I came into the thread to see if anyone would hold that view.

I can’t bring myself to watch it: I for sometime had a fascination with serial killers but after battling depression I found that I had to stick to entertainment as much as I could that was uplifting - I even have to watch Peep Show in small doses now as it is, despite being I believe the funniest show ever written, so relentlessly bleak.

So I don’t think I’ll be watching this show but I have read a lot about Dahmer and while he didn’t seem to suffer the same depth of childhood trauma that often seems to steer killers towards what they become, it seems like his life was just one turn after another away from normality and when you’ve had enough of them they actually point you in the other direction.

I know that when he got caught he seemed to genuinely devote himself to religion - there was seemingly no ulterior end game to try and get a pardon or some sort of inmate privilege and he pretty much actively said ‘put me in with the mob as there’s no punishment bad enough for the evil I’ve done and whatever happens happens.’ Of course nothing and no level of remorse will ever ever undo the malevolence he wrought he does seem somewhat separated from others of his ilk in that I get the impression that if there was a magic wand he could wave to undo it all, he would have.

Others not so much: Milat, Gacy, Fish, Ian Brady, the Wests etc

I know that when he got caught he seemed to genuinely devote himself to religion - there was seemingly no ulterior end game to try and get a pardon or some sort of inmate privilege and he pretty much actively said ‘put me in with the mob as there’s no punishment bad enough for the evil I’ve done and whatever happens happens.’ Of course nothing and no level of remorse will ever ever undo the malevolence he wrought he does seem somewhat separated from others of his ilk in that I get the impression that if there was a magic wand he could wave to undo it all, he would have.

Others not so much: Milat, Gacy, Fish, Ian Brady, the Wests etc
Yeah I'd agree with that. He wanted a death sentence for himself. Curiously he didn't really want to hurt anyone, just didn't want them to leave.

Yeah I'd agree with that. He wanted a death sentence for himself. Curiously he didn't really want to hurt anyone, just didn't want them to leave.

Exactly it’s a different kind of evil to me if there is such a thing

My immediate reaction to some of those other famous ones is horror and revulsion and disgust, or in the case of someone like a contract killer like Richard Kuklinski almost disbelief but a morbid understanding. This is moreso profound sadness that someone got to that level of warped and self loathing that they took it out the way he did on others

Dahmer wanted to know why he was like the way he was shame his father didn't want the scientists to look at his brain when he died
Doesn't make any sense that he had nothing in his past that triggered these heinous acts of violence, it just doesnt add up.

Could have and argurably shoukd have been 6 eps.

Really really slow.

Had probably two really good eps and then a handful of moments.

Agree with the sentiment that it didn’t show him to be “evil” maybe he actually wasn’t but it did make him a bit sympathetic.

I always appreciate the serial killers
Who turn to god in the end and that there’s always some priest willing to help them. What a farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Wonder if , with phone technology and cctv etc, if the age of the serial killer operating over multiple years with dozens of victims has ended or would be much harder to go for a long length of time.
lol is this a serious question?

Not only that, but being able to use DNA has been the game changer.

I Wonder if , with phone technology and cctv etc, if the age of the serial killer operating over multiple years with dozens of victims has ended or would be much harder to go for a long length of time.
The scene with the priest talking about the highway system and Vietnam and absentee fathers increasing the rate of serial killers was pretty interesting.

The highway thing especially has a whole theory around it with some pretty compelling stats.

Most of the fictional depictions we have of serial killers as genius level psychopaths is wrong too though. Most are pretty dumb and frankly to get away with it long enough to become a serial killer would take some smarts and luck. Although, sadly, as we saw with Dahmer it only takes the cops being a smite dumber than the killer and racist and it homophobic to walk away from it.

The scene with the priest talking about the highway system and Vietnam and absentee fathers increasing the rate of serial killers was pretty interesting.

The highway thing especially has a whole theory around it with some pretty compelling stats.

Most of the fictional depictions we have of serial killers as genius level psychopaths is wrong too though. Most are pretty dumb and frankly to get away with it long enough to become a serial killer would take some smarts and luck. Although, sadly, as we saw with Dahmer it only takes the cops being a smite dumber than the killer and racist and it homophobic to walk away from it.
The scary thing is the studies are all done by the ones that got caught , I’m sure there are many many out there that are never caught that can’t be studied to identify them

lol is this a serious question?

Not only that, but being able to use DNA has been the game changer.
Can still be done, the biggest trick is picking victims that people don't notice are missing.

If a serial killer took out someone that people miss, the investigation is on straight away and they'd be hard pressed to keep going from there.

Can still be done, the biggest trick is picking victims that people don't notice are missing.

If a serial killer took out someone that people miss, the investigation is on straight away and they'd be hard pressed to keep going from there.
The whole highway killer theory supports this. Supposedly lots of runaways who hitchhike get murdered.

Between no one caring about some poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks if it spreads across the US jurisdictions then the police departments dont co operate and links to victims and serial killers are never made.

Dahmer did a bit of that with the cops basically not believing victims and accusers but spread that over a country with an enormous class divide and it seems almost certain theres opportunity for some sick * to be going full Dahmer on the move.

The whole highway killer theory supports this. Supposedly lots of runaways who hitchhike get murdered.

Between no one caring about some poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks if it spreads across the US jurisdictions then the police departments dont co operate and links to victims and serial killers are never made.

Dahmer did a bit of that with the cops basically not believing victims and accusers but spread that over a country with an enormous class divide and it seems almost certain theres opportunity for some sick * to be going full Dahmer on the move.
Yeah that's very relevant in the States, the various states don't cooperate well at all. Was how a lot of serial killers went on so long.

Yeah absolutely. The point remains it's a lot harder with DNA etc but I don't think it's impossible.

Dahmer wanted to know why he was like the way he was shame his father didn't want the scientists to look at his brain when he died
Doesn't make any sense that he had nothing in his past that triggered these heinous acts of violence, it just doesnt add up.

Really well done in the way they presented the 'nature versus nurture' argument here.

His Mum hated him, was on a shitload of medications when he was in the womb, and showed him zero affection at all in his life.

His Dad cared for him, supported him, loved him (in his own way, which I suspect was more common back then), yet no matter what he did, he couldn't get him back on the right path.

So was he just mentally broken? Did the medication * him up in the womb? Did the lack of affection from his mother break him?

Really well done in the way they presented the 'nature versus nurture' argument here.

His Mum hated him, was on a shitload of medications when he was in the womb, and showed him zero affection at all in his life.

His Dad cared for him, supported him, loved him (in his own way, which I suspect was more common back then), yet no matter what he did, he couldn't get him back on the right path.

So was he just mentally broken? Did the medication * him up in the womb? Did the lack of affection from his mother break him?
I think studies have been done before (nature and humans) that young are more volatile when they aren't close with their mother.
Young need a strong bond with their mums basically.

My levels of rage at the cops who just let him take the kid back inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back