Dangerfield and that elusive Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

If Danger wins one, is he considered better than Fyfe and Martin? Definently been the most consistent of the 3.

Ive never agreed with that whole premise. Maybe if he wins a norm Smith, but winning a flag shouldn’t change anything when it comes to comparing to other players. Lockett and Gary Ablett didn’t win one yet no one is comparing Tom Hawkins to them

Gun footballer but flog of a bloke.
Seems like it would be almost more beneficial for Geelong if they swapped his midfield to forward minutes around (like 70% forward)
His disposal when under even minimal pressure is generally poor.
But exploding out of the goal square he would create havoc against any backline

Danger great playing for himself then team, Dusty great playing for the team then himself.

Danger is a great player and would be great for him to win one, but there are a few players better than him that have never won a GF.

If Geelong don't win this year its going to be hard next year to come up.

Achievement vs Quality.

No we haven't won 4 cups over 8 seasons.
As far as 3 in 3 or 3 in 5 goes, what the hell is the difference?
Does the singer with 3 #1s from the same album make more money than the band with 3 from 3 albums?
Does the third cup come full of gold bullion because it knows that the previous two cups were won by the same team?
Re:bolded... would you rather take a medicine that works 60% of the time or a medicine that works 100% of the time.

Would you rather pay 30% tax or 50% tax?

Re:bolded... would you rather take a medicine that works 60% of the time or a medicine that works 100% of the time.

Would you rather pay 30% tax or 50% tax?

that is the worst analogy I’ve ever heard.
if the medicine fixes you, it fixes you - as both examples are teams who won 3 flags, the comparison would be to a medicine that works

that is the worst analogy I’ve ever heard.
if the medicine fixes you, it fixes you - as both examples are teams who won 3 flags, the comparison would be to a medicine that works
Whatever. One team won 3 in 3 and one team won 3 in 5. If you can’t see that the prior is a better achievement then you are blind.

In previous years Geelong weren't much good, he carried them to strong regular season finishes and the team wasn't good enough to win prelims.

Last year he chose to dive before HT and got Dusty mad, game over. Danger disappeared (his coach also tilted him by starting him fwd in the 2nd half). He blew it when he went back into the mids in the second half.

This is his best chance to make a GF at least, given they match up well on Port and Brisbane. He should not be allowed to leave a single stoppage for the entire finals series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

immediately next year that’s going to drop a reasonable amount as Ablett and Taylor won’t go around again.
And while they will be missed they aren’t the irreplaceable types they would have been 7-8 years ago.

I think we have a few things to worry about. Age isn’t among them.

Ablett - 36
Taylor - 34
Selwood - 32
Hawkins - 32
Touhy - 30
Henderson - 30
Dangerfield - 30
Steven - 30
Stanley -29
Blicavs - 29
Duncan - 29
Rohan - 29

The names in the under 25 bracket aren’t even close to that

helps when the best player in the comp falls in your lap.

Hawkins a father son pick.
Ablett father son.

Almost every flag over the last 20 years there's a leg up somewhere from AFL house
Scarlett a father son pick also. Some good breeding stock down at the cattery in the 70s and 80s

Last edited:
I'm a bit torn, wouldn't mind seeing Gaz win another flag. Danger getting suspended in the prelim and watching the granny from the sidelines would be magic 👌

The pandemic has done wonders for Geelong's premiership chances. Shorter quarters helping their older players having less "fade out's" during games, setting up in the QLD hub - their home away from home (they seem to play the QLD grounds very well).

This will be the year that they finally win one, it won't undo the years of missed opportunity. But it'll be the exclamation mark for a lot of their older stars that are retiring this season, or in the next few years.

What so it’s just common belief that Björn Borg has been a better Wimbledon player than Novak Djokovic because his 5 titles were consecutive.

ok
It’s not a common belief because no-one looks at just Wimbledon. They look all grand slams.

I’d probably consider a guy/lady who was year-ending world #1 three years in a row a better player than someone who did it over a number of years.

3 in 3 says the Hawks achieved and maintained a higher standard for longer. Every sports person/team WORLDWIDE tries to go B2B because of that reason. I get it you’re upset the Cats 3 in 5 are usurped by the Hawks 3 in 3 but if you can’t admit it’s a better achievement then you’re just being wilfully ignorant.

The pandemic has done wonders for Geelong's premiership chances. Shorter quarters helping their older players having less "fade out's" during games, setting up in the QLD hub - their home away from home (they seem to play the QLD grounds very well).
This comment goes to show you don’t have much idea about Geelong at all, “fade out’s” certainly aren’t our problem in any matches, especially big matches, it’s actually the start of matches, we have been a good finishing team for a long time, the only team better in recent years would be the Tigers....On the actual thread topic, I think all you can do as a club is to consistently try & give yourselves a chance at success, & if we fall short while Danger is here it wouldn’t of been through lack of trying...They’re hard to win & nobody has a given right to it, but I much rather our club’s effort to make finals year in & year out than to drop & become irrelevant at the bottom of the ladder.

This will be the year that they finally win one, it won't undo the years of missed opportunity. But it'll be the exclamation mark for a lot of their older stars that are retiring this season, or in the next few years.
wtf? We were one of the last teams into the qld hub. We first had to go to sydney then spend 3 weeks in hard lockdown in perth. And since we came to the qld hub (4 weeks later then everyone else) we have since had to do a side trip to adelaide.

Yeah as the third ranked team for 4th quarters won last year, it was clearly a major weakness for us

This comment goes to show you don’t have much idea about Geelong at all, “fade out’s” certainly aren’t our problem in any matches, especially big matches, it’s actually the start of matches, we have been a good finishing team for a long time, the only team better in recent years would be the Tigers....On the actual thread topic, I think all you can do as a club is to consistently try & give yourselves a chance at success, & if we fall short while Danger is here it wouldn’t of been through lack of trying...They’re hard to win & nobody has a given right to it, but I much rather our club’s effort to make finals year in & year out than to drop & become irrelevant at the bottom of the ladder.

I wasn't aware that Geelong are immune to needing the interchange bench when players get tired!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back