Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Except last year resisting the temptation might have cost us in the end with our undersized key defenders beaten when it mattered

It was actually our midfield that was absolutely spanked in the last 10 minutes of the game when it mattered but I guess that's neither here nor there.

It was actually our midfield that was absolutely spanked in the last 10 minutes of the game when it mattered but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Yes it is neither here nor there.

Moore over Goldsack would likely have improved the team by a goal . And a goal was all we needed. They didn’t roll the dice on his injury status so we’ll never know, but it won’t stop me wondering.

Moore would have been a handy in for sure. If you look at what Buckley said in the weeks leading up to the GF though, there was nothing physically they could find wrong with his hamstring. It seemed to be a mental block (reading between the lines of Buckley's comments). Then again he has broken down a couple of times since so maybe what he felt was not easily detectable.

Moore would have been a step up from Goldsack but if he broke down during the game it would have been a far worse outcome than playing Goldsack. It would definitely have ben a big dice roll. As would a Wells inclusion.

Moore would have been a handy in for sure. If you look at what Buckley said in the weeks leading up to the GF though, there was nothing physically they could find wrong with his hamstring. It seemed to be a mental block (reading between the lines of Buckley's comments). Then again he has broken down a couple of times since so maybe what he felt was not easily detectable.

Moore would have been a step up from Goldsack but if he broke down during the game it would have been a far worse outcome than playing Goldsack. It would definitely have ben a big dice roll. As would a Wells inclusion.

My last point on the Moore thing. Goldsack was rushed back after an ACL. He was just as likely to break down during the game as Moore might have been.

And my last last point on the Moore thing. I wonder how many times Darcy has heard over the dinner table about the 1981 GF when his old man put his hand up to play and clearly wasn’t up to the task on the day. Could that story have affected his mindset last year I wonder?

I think the clocks ticking for Wells and I doubt he plays again. But if the opportunity presents itself and he’s training the house down, then I hope he is given serious consideration.

Last year we went in with Goldsack, Treloar and Howe having had no preparation before finals. All were decent contributors.

That said, I think it's a riskier prospect with Moore and Wells since both are so injury prone. You'd think both need to get some game-time in before finals.

Last year we went in with Goldsack, Treloar and Howe having had no preparation before finals. All were decent contributors.

That said, I think it's a riskier prospect with Moore and Wells since both are so injury prone. You'd think both need to get some game-time in before finals.

Maybe Wells could play a midweek basketball game to get some conditioning! :moustache:

Pendles also was not close to 100% - you can't carry that many sub-par players and expect to win a GF.

Wells reportedly spotted at Fitzroy Lawn Bowls Club ..... Re-did his PCL two points away from a demolishing Terry, an 91 year old regular

Greenwood disgusted at Wells inability to finish the game

Did you manage to get the name of the conditioning coach at the Fitzroy bowls club?

Anybody who can get Wells almost through a whole game has my stamp of approval

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i saw buckley make a comment about wells being so good recently mentoring the younger guys. Actually when they recruited him, I thought it was part of an overall plan to get a few indigenous kids in and have him and Varcoe mentor them before they finished their careers. I would have thought that would worked out pretty good. Shows ya how much I know.

Maybe Wells could play a midweek basketball game to get some conditioning! :moustache:

I remember when Plough had doggies players playing in a low grade basketball team at Darebin (I think - can't remember where we played them) back in the day.

Times sure have changed since then...

fairytale story, 4 bogs in the finals
Even just one pesky BOG in the last match of the AFL season 2019 - with a win :)

Yes it is neither here nor there.

Moore over Goldsack would likely have improved the team by a goal . And a goal was all we needed. They didn’t roll the dice on his injury status so we’ll never know, but it won’t stop me wondering.
Moore over Goldsack doesn’t really solve the height problem down back though as Howe and Langdon would still have to play taller. Moore over Aish would have been the better move.

Moore over Goldsack doesn’t really solve the height problem down back though as Howe and Langdon would still have to play taller. Moore over Aish would have been the better move.

Langdon and Howe playing taller on Kennedy and Darling wouldn't have been so bad. It was the Vardy/Lycett resting forward that was the issue and Moore would have been better suited to that role than either of them being forced into it.

Langdon and Howe playing taller on Kennedy and Darling wouldn't have been so bad. It was the Vardy/Lycett resting forward that was the issue and Moore would have been better suited to that role than either of them being forced into it.
Moore definitely would have been better suited to the resting ruck but I wouldn’t trust either Howe or Langdon to take Kennedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back