Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor and unprofessional if he's gone out to pasture while on an injury lay off. Any photos of him? Curious to see how big he got. He had a bit on him last time he played though.
This whole unprofessional nonsense people go on with Wells is a bit ridiculous.

Comes back from a dreadful injury, that’s professionalism right there.

Plays 250 + games that’s professionalism.

The whole fat shaming probably came when he arrived and it was a few kilos over but he wasn’t a house.

And that was the year he played 10
terrific games too.

I really detest the way he’s been presented (by some).

Sublime talent. Great guy.

My rant over

Last edited:
Wells makes us look very underdone for finals. We've seen what playing unfit silk does to your chances (Dusty in last year's Preliminary springs to mind). Sidey, Stevo, DeGoey are certainties, with Moore if fit. That's enough change. Aish is probably next. Wells is too much of a risk. Sorry for him, but he just can't play.

Wells makes us look very underdone for finals. We've seen what playing unfit silk does to your chances (Dusty in last year's Preliminary springs to mind). Sidey, Stevo, DeGoey are certainties, with Moore if fit. That's enough change. Aish is probably next. Wells is too much of a risk. Sorry for him, but he just can't play.

So we seen the last of Wells at AFL Level Then

The whole fat shaming probably came when he arrived and it was a few kilos over he wasn’t a house.

terrific games too.

My rant over

I have nothing against Wells SV & I know nothing of the road to rehab he has traveled in the last 2 months, so no judging from me.
I just call it as I see it. He is carrying weight he could do without right now.

Wells showed at a minimum he could be slotted into the senior side if required. Sack had the best game I've seen him play all year. Murphy was in everything until concussed, Appleby was solid, Daicos was everywhere. Even with the impending return of Stevo and JDG, it's good to have that depth going into a finals campaign.

Just great we have experienced blokes fit and putting their hands up coming into the finals, and with the double chance they will also have their own chance to train the house down.

IF . . . Moore and JDG are truly fit and ready to go in the next two weeks we are ready to rock and roll.

Time will tell but if those boys are fit and they and the rest of the squad remain so . .

Watch out!

No we saw what playing Greenwood on Dusty did last year, and we saw what playing Wells did against Sydney.

No we saw what playing Greenwood on Dusty did last year, and we saw what playing Wells did against Sydney.

As predictable as Greenwood Dusty is, it’s a no brainer.

With regards to Wells. As a fitness coach myself, the added weight that people are banging on about can be easily addressed. If he can get some good k’s in his legs, purely for aerobic performance all he needs to do from here is eat clean and with a calorie deficit. If we manage to knock off the Cats in our QF, he has 4 weeks to drop a few kg. Don’t underestimate what this does to his appearance. That is so doable if he is prepared to be on point with his nutrition and training.

Personally, I’d love to take the risk on him IF he goes berserk at training..

If i had a choice between Daicos or Crocker or Wells, I would pick Wells. If it's Brown, Thomas or Wells, I would probably pick the other two for defensive capabilities. Thomas's improved form helps his case. Callum Brown got 14 disposals and 3 tackles and put some forward pressure on. The presence of the other mobile forwards also doesnt help Wells. In the midfield, the question is whether to sacrifice grunt in Wills for skill. I think the presence of Wills has helped others. 5 weeks ago I would have slotted Wells in. It's hard to make a case now.

The under done player, the great football conundrum.

I’m particularly eyeing on your views re Dusty in last year’s prelim.
I’d venture he wasn’t fully fit and say going at 60% or so.

But for Richmond was a lesser Dusty on the night still better than them playing their 23rd level player instead?

Richmond would answer Dusty still better. I’d agree on their assessment.

Being useful was his level that night, just ok in parts but nothing special. Likely still of more value than bringing in an emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to say but I'd be more inclined to leave Varcoe in than bring in Wells. In their current state Varcoe is probably just as likely to X-factor something as Wells and far more likely to run out the game.

So long as "X factor" doesn't mean kicking the ball 30m in the wrong direction from the goal square :)

Last edited:
Sad to say but I'd be more inclined to leave Varcoe in than bring in Wells. In their current state Varcoe is probably just as likely to X-factor something as Wells and far more likely to run out the game.

So long as "X factor" doesn't mean kicking the ball 30m in the wrong direction from the goal square :)

That was “Y factor”.

If we had no other players like Moore or Degoey and Wells was 100% he might be worth the the risk. I thought they should've played him last Friday.

Now his time has passed, this year anyway.

The whole fat shaming probably came when he arrived and it was a few kilos over he wasn’t a house.

terrific games too.

My rant over
The man is getting on in years so his body shape doesn't concern me, lack of match conditioning does though, it's a shame our VFL side doesn't have another game but IMO Wells is the type that could play cold if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back