Player Watch Daniel Wells, (New role at the Club #3261)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell and Goddard will be rested at certain times, as will many other players. There was nothing wrong with what Bucks said.

Mitchell = 22 Games 2016
Goddard (same draft as Wells) = 20 Games 2016

Until you provide the quotes from the coaches saying they will be rested I will assume their respective coaches expect the same output in 2017.

Basically I am sick of excuses from our Club. On top of the reason I have heard (third hand) from a North player that Wells only came for the money.

I changed my tune re Freeman leaving our Club for the $ in his situation (injury prone rookie) but I won't cop a veteran player like Wells doing the same.

If he came to our Club in below average condition as Bucks has alluded to then that is not good enough for all parties involved.

With all due respect, I think you missed the bizarreness of Scodog's post. On the one hand he was having a go at the club for always lying to us and on the other he was complaining and claiming the coach was a disgrace and should have said that we expect the injured guy, who is unlikely to play 20 games this year, to play 20 games this year.

That is not what Scodog10 said but if that makes you feel better then go with that angle.

Why shouldn't he have played 22 games in 2017 if he came to our Club in a professional athletes condition?

Mitchell = 22 Games 2016
Until you provide the quotes from the coaches saying they will be rested I will assume their respective coaches expect the same output in 2017.
Basically I am sick of excuses from our Club. On top of the reason I have heard (third hand) from a North player that Wells only came for the money.
I changed my tune re Freeman leaving our Club for the $ in his situation (injury prone rookie) but I won't cop a veteran player like Wells doing the same.
If he came to our Club in below average condition as Bucks has alluded to then that is not good enough for all parties involved.
What else would Wells continue playing and shift to Collingwood for than money? In terms of his condition, Bucks has qualified that remark by stating that no player turned up match fit at the start of the pre-season training.

Mitchell = 22 Games 2016

Wells needs to be managed, the club knew that before they recruited him. Players go to clubs for money, why should Wells be any different. All that matters is how he contributes to the performance of the team.

What else would Wells continue playing and shift to Collingwood for than money? In terms of his condition, Bucks has qualified that remark by stating that no player turned up match fit at the start of the pre-season training.

Of course Bucks has qualified that remark..........you wouldn't want to throw the unfit recruit under the bus.

Pretty sure that old bastard Pendlebury came back fit............just saying!

I reckon we wont see him till Anzac day.

Not off anything just having a guess, reckon we are struggling to find that happy medium with his conditioning and why he keeps getting niggles when he lifts his training loads up.

It's ok loki04 we should be doing cartwheels if we get 45 games out of him in the next three years! :drunk:

That is not what Scodog10 said but if that makes you feel better then go with that angle.

Why shouldn't he have played 22 games in 2017 if he came to our Club in a professional athletes condition?

This is what Scodog said he wanted Buckley to say. Wells is injured and thus very unlikely to play 20 games this year, so Scodog is basically saying that Buckley should lie, then he has a go at the club for lying.

How's about "we've got full confidence in our high performance group and believe he'll play at least 20 matches per year over the next 3 seasons"?

The club lie through their teeth religously so do yourself a favour and read between the lines of what they really expect out of him if they're publicly stating they'll be laughing with him missing up to a full year of footy over the length of a 3 year contract...

Meanwhile O'meara who's knees are apparently stuffed is flying

He would have been managed at Collingwood nahnah.

FFS the one reason we are regulary the bridesmaid = Excuses!

Meanwhile O'meara who's knees are apparently stuffed is flying
The question mark on O'Meara isn't whether he would get back to playing (he was playing NEAFL at the end of last season). It's whether his career will be significantly shortened and hampered by a degenerative condition. The answers will come if O'Meara is still playing to a high standard in a couple of years considering Hawthorn have effectively mortgaged their future on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On top of the reason I have heard (third hand) from a North player that Wells only came for the money.
Isn't that a given? Why else would he leave the club he's played for, for a decade?

Isn't that a given? Why else would he leave the club he's played for, for a decade?

If $ is his priority after 14 years (drafted 2002) in the system then all the best with his superannuation fund at the Pies.

I think it's fanciful to think that there are 8 lists well above ours.
Yeah, how on earth can we think that there are 8 lists above us given our recent record ant the superstars we've poached from other sides.

This is what Scodog said he wanted Buckley to say. Wells is injured and thus very unlikely to play 20 games this year, so Scodog is basically saying that Buckley should lie, then he has a go at the club for lying.

Scodog10 has been very consistent in his comments re our inept performance staff.

Buckley's comments only proves that our performance staff have not improved..........without putting words in Scodog's mouth that was his point.

Scodog10 has been very consistent in his comments re our inept performance staff.

Buckley's comments only proves that our performance staff have not improved..........without putting words in Scodog's mouth that was his point.

Fair enough, but he was having a go at Buckley for making the comment.

Fair enough, but he was having a go at Buckley for making the comment.

Buckley is the boss and his head is on the chopping block this year so I get why he mentioned Bucks even if I disagreed with the word Joke & Coach in the same sentence.

Terrific post.

Yes amazing, a player wanting money? :eek:
Perish the thought.
Because all of us go to work and don't seek a salary or pay.

Really, don't get people thinking there is some altruistic aspect to playing for Collingwood?

No there is not. It's business, it's a career. It even has great enjoyment at times but it's an income earner.

If any of us were Collingwood footballers and it was nearing the tail end of our career and we were offered more elsewhere you reckon we wouldn't all choof off?

If we are deeply honest and say we were paid by Collingwood $300 large per annum and North offered $500 k per annum and more years you're reckon we'd refuse?

Heck most would even go to Carlton.

GWS
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
West Coast
Adelaide
Geelong
Hawthorn
St Kilda
Melbourne

There's 9 to get you started, was tempted to throw Fremantle into that mix too. I do admire your optimism though.

How have you come up with this conclusion?

GWS - yep, agree, the Frankenstein of the AFL had no peers at this stage. AFL manufactured draft tampering at it finest. Player for player, on paper, this team looks brisbanesque with the scope to be dominant for longer.

Sydney. A very good list. Not dominant though and has a few aging stars and holes. Salary cap hurting. A very beatable team.

Western Bulldogs. Based on the fact thy won last years flag alone, list quality is pretty hard to argue with. Although, ruck is weak, forward line, with cloke in, will struggle. Teams will be much more prepared for them this year. We match up well on them and had them on toast twice last year.

West coast. Meh. Lucky they have Perth and a few out and out stars. Overall list doesn't frighten me.

Adelaide. Best forward line in the comp for mine. Eddie Betts is a freak, walker, Jenkins and the bloke whose name escapes me make a very formidle offense. Overall very good list if the can pull it all together.

Geelong - dangerfield and selwood. The rest isn't great. If not for their massive home ground adavantage I'd be tipping them for bottom 4. Seriously overrated list.

Hawks - the great dynasty on the wane. Cracks starting to appear, might have another left in them this year but it's all downhill from here. No depth at all and many aging stars, omeara and Mitchell will help. But then all will be getting into their defensive 50 much more often and one wonders how long their backline can hold up.

St kilda and Melbourne. Both young and on the rise. Will be very good in a 2-3 seasons.

As for us. I have us behind GWS, DOGS and Adelaide. I don't see any holes in our list provided we can keep close to our best 25 players healthy and playing often.

Our midfield is one of the best, if not the best (champion data agrees), in the league.

Back line, with a fit Reid to lead it, will be more than adequate this year. Schade looks likely, Dunn can hit targets and can play a role. Ramsay will be a revelation, Maynard looks primed and will become the enforcer down back. Would love sinkers back for his jets.
Schazza might be a bonus by mid season....

Forward line is stocked with 2 seriously good medium smalls in Elliot and faz.. mayne will come good by round 4-5. Darcy will continue to grow and cause headaches. Cox, imo, will become a massive win for us this year. Hose long arms and reach will baffle the opposition. He will get plenty of free kicks this year.

I could go on all day, but I won't. But to say there's 9 teams with a better list than us is crazy.

Even being less one eyed than I am, at worst we are the 6th best team going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back