Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2018 AFL Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon the first 10 basically pick themselves....Which Davo has nailed....Thereafter Caldwell would certainly be in the frame, alongside of Collier-Dawkins, Sturt, Taylor & Jones for mine.

Bailey Williams would be a player whom I'd love to see slide to pick 15, assuming we keep a hold of it.

I can't see him going before 15 unless someone is willing to reach.

I can't see him going before 15 unless someone is willing to reach.

If Bailey Williams was an accurate goal kicker he would be pushing for inclusion in the elite group imo

what did he test at the draft 94cm jump? good sprint time for a ruck/forward 2.946 6th best at the draft camp, 34 contested marks in TAC Cup (C.Curnow took 37 this season playing more games), Dominates Ruck with his physicality and jump, gets a lot of clearances as a Ruck like Brody Grundy, moves quick in bursts so if he misses a mark can pressure for neutralising opposition rebound, good endurance 20.3 in the yo-yo? was a MAJOR part of the near-undefeated Dandenong machine.

his weakness is his goal kicking accuracy (22goals 30behinds) as a part-time forward and his tackling, otherwise he is nearly the complete package as a ruck/forward near elite

every game ive seen him in he dominates, he is so big and so dominant, i feel sorry for anyone going up against him, because he bullies and embarrasses everyone, he is a similar build to Mumford(geelong/gws) with the play style of Brody Grundy, then goes forward and plays like a young Jarryd Roughead, he is an enigma.

but oh yeah he would be lucky to be picked before pick 15 because, you know, reasons... elite big men like him with only a goal accuracy problem that can be worked on who can play multiple positions very very well usually dont last until pick 10 but this is a unique year...

Last edited:
If Bailey Williams was an accurate goal kicker he would be pushing for inclusion in the elite group imo

what did he test at the draft 94cm jump? good sprint time for a ruck/forward 2.946 6th best at the draft camp, 34 contested marks in TAC Cup (C.Curnow took 37 this season playing more games), Dominates Ruck with his physicality and jump, gets a lot of clearances as a Ruck like Brody Grundy, moves quick in bursts so if he misses a mark can pressure for neutralising opposition rebound, good endurance 20.3 in the yo-yo? was a MAJOR part of the near-undefeated Dandenong machine.

his weakness is his goal kicking accuracy (22goals 30behinds) as a part-time forward and his tackling, otherwise he is nearly the complete package as a ruck/forward near elite

every game ive seen him in he dominates, he is so big and so dominant, i feel sorry for anyone going up against him, because he bullies and embarrasses everyone, he is a similar build to Mumford(geelong/gws) with the play style of Brody Grundy, then goes forward and plays like a young Jarryd Roughead, he is an enigma.

but oh yeah he would be lucky to be picked before pick 15 because, you know, reasons... elite big men like him with only a goal accuracy problem that can be worked on who can play multiple positions very very well usually dont last until pick 10 but this is a unique year...

The kid has some major ex-factor about him.....A few more centimetres wouldn't go astray either, but you can't have everything.

He'd be my number 1 target were I the head of Hawks recruitment....We have enough mids already developing In the magoos.

The kid has some major ex-factor about him.....A few more centimetres wouldn't go astray either, but you can't have everything.

He'd be my number 1 target were I the head of Hawks recruitment....We have enough mids already developing In the magoos.

if you cant get a King twin, Blakey or Lukosius, he is the other elite Tall in the draft pool, so i agree if he is still around i'd love us to snap him up.

I don't disagree at all with your comment and some great points.

I perhaps could have included some more contextual information in my statement; which would have been that this year is flushed with mid sized players who could all push for selection next year.

The top 10 pretty much pick themselves and then there are 8-10 other mid sized players like Caldwell, RCD, Quaynor (will be bid on), Thomas (will be bid on), Sturt and West (will be bid on) ect. who I think get picked before Williams.

My knock on Williams is that I don't think he has the height to be a Full time Ruckman at AFL level and as such will probably play forward early in his career...which as you pointed out has some accuracy issues; which can be worked on in a full-time environment, but still a year where I think the top 20 are pretty much all mid sized players outside the King brothers.

I don't disagree at all with your comment and some great points.

I perhaps could have included some more contextual information in my statement; which would have been that this year is flushed with mid sized players who could all push for selection next year.

The top 10 pretty much pick themselves and then there are 8-10 other mid sized players like Caldwell, RCD, Quaynor (will be bid on), Thomas (will be bid on), Sturt and West (will be bid on) ect. who I think get picked before Williams.

My knock on Williams is that I don't think he has the height to be a Full time Ruckman at AFL level and as such will probably play forward early in his career...which as you pointed out has some accuracy issues; which can be worked on in a full-time environment, but still a year where I think the top 20 are pretty much all mid sized players outside the King brothers.
He's 2 centimetres taller than Patrick Ryder and has a better standing vertical leap than him in his draft year.

He's 2 centimetres taller than Patrick Ryder and has a better standing vertical leap than him in his draft year.

That may be the case....however I still think teams with picks inside the top 15 will go smaller outside the King boys. Guess we will have to wait and see. Just my opinion.

Im new here, curious about the draft - looks like good talent.
I am curious if someone can talk about freo dockers.
What picks they will have, and what players they will go for?

If you like to add your own take about what freo should do etc, or if you'd rather what freo is likely to do and you have a different idea. Please share I don't mind reading

If you like to add your own take about what freo should do etc, or if you'd rather what freo is likely to do and you have a different idea. Please share I don't mind reading
Depends what happens with Neale, Hogan and Lobb.
I assume they don't hold onto any first round picks if they get Hogan and Lobb, and I'm not sure if they move anyone else on so that pick (currently 78 I think) could be the only you guys take

If you get Brisbanes first round pick for Neale you'll have 2 very highly rated draft picks, if you trade to get Hogan from Melbourne you might lose access to at least 1 of these picks, also you are bringing in Lobb from GWS so thats another trade you have to deal with

If you have 5 and 6 by not getting Hogan, then you're looking at possibly Rankine and Ben King.

Because its very likely Carlton takes Walsh, then its likely GCS takes Lukosius and Rozee, then the saints have nearly guaranteed Max King that they want him, so the best left overs are Izak Rankine and Ben King, which imo is a BIG WIN, but obviously nothing is 100% at this stage. Bailey Smith is also a possibility here or if you want the best W.A. youngster Ian Hill an outside mid who is the second cousin of the 2 Hill brothers you have at the club he is rated a little behind the elite group depends if you want that home grown talent, either way its 2 of the 9 elite talents in this draft.

Last edited:
If you get Brisbanes first round pick for Neale you'll have 2 very highly rated draft picks, if you trade to get Hogan from Melbourne you might lose access to at least 1 of these picks, also you are bringing in Lobb from GWS so thats another trade you have to deal with

If you have 5 and 6 by not getting Hogan, then you're looking at possibly Rankine and Ben King.

Because its very likely Carlton takes Walsh, then its likely GCS takes Lukosius and Rozee, then the saints have nearly guaranteed Max King that they want him, so the best left overs are Izak Rankine and Ben King, which imo is a BIG WIN, but obviously nothing is 100% at this stage. Bailey Smith is also a possibility here or if you want the best W.A. youngster Ian Hill an outside mid who is the second cousin of the 2 Hill brothers you have at the club he is rated a little behind the elite group depends if you want that home grown talent, either way its 2 of the 9 elite talents in this draft.
Thanks so much for this info. I tried to message in the freo forum and it was a nightmare. Negative mentality, personal criticism and cynicism. You look like a saint. In summary thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what happens with Neale, Hogan and Lobb.
I assume they don't hold onto any first round picks if they get Hogan and Lobb, and I'm not sure if they move anyone else on so that pick (currently 78 I think) could be the only you guys take
Thanks for that info. Much better than the freo forum. Supposed to be fellow fans. Doesn't feel like it. Anyways appreciate it

Thanks for that info. Much better than the freo forum. Supposed to be fellow fans. Doesn't feel like it. Anyways appreciate it
You’ve got so many kids on your list, you need mature players who want to play for the next 6-8 years there. Lobb and Hogan in, keep Neale and you’re going in the right direction. Freo don’t need more youth, that’s for sure. They need players in the 21-24 age bracket.

You’ve got so many kids on your list, you need mature players who want to play for the next 6-8 years there. Lobb and Hogan in, keep Neale and you’re going in the right direction. Freo don’t need more youth, that’s for sure. They need players in the 21-24 age bracket.
That is a great comment. Would you go as far to mention names.

Curious to ask feel free anyone. I tried asking at freo forum but I think the mentality is not as mature as the east coast people.
Anyway, what I was thinking was Freo seems to be a club that is more often than not at the bottom end of the table and top end of the draft.
Is it unreasonable to think along these lines.

To trade the top draft pick selections which are usually SA and Vic youth for WA AFL players. Or even to trade back the top two selections for more picks in the 20s and 30s or 40s to select the premium WA youth.

I think it was you who asked Davo-27 and Hustwaite got 3.040 seconds on the 20m, 20.3 yo-yo, 8.6 agility. Still waiting on other combines, but that's him at least.

thanks for this

his combine results arent great, but they arent bad, its average to slightly below average, but his courage and toughness combined with his clearances and high tackling (7 a game which is elite) will be the reasons why he gets drafted if he gets drafted, which i hope he does.

thanks for this

his combine results arent great, but they arent bad, its average to slightly below average, but his courage and toughness combined with his clearances and high tackling (7 a game which is elite) will be the reasons why he gets drafted if he gets drafted, which i hope he does.

Doing some good work however apart from yo-yo (avg 20.6), he was above average in both 20m and agility.

Doing some good work however apart from yo-yo (avg 20.6), he was above average in both 20m and agility.

thats even better, Hustwaite is a player i like, i under-rated him because of his non athlete look on the field, but he won me over during the finals, you cant deny this guy can play consistently at a reasonably high level, by the time the GF came around i was liking what i saw from Hustwaite more than S. Fletcher who is rated as a decent prospect this year, it was easier to judge them as they were playing a similar position in the same team and for the last 5 weeks including finals every time he outperformed S. Fletcher imo.

There are a few areas to work on at the Dockers imo. And I'd probably attack the front half this draft if possible.

You need someone (KPP) who can kick 50 odd goals for the year and maybe a small forward who can chip in with 30-40. The inclusion of a Hogan would be big get and someone who could easily kick 50 if healthy for a full year; however it appears he's set to stay a Dee.

If you don't land Hogan, King and Rankine would be the perfect start. But as others have stated, Freo is a young list and some talent around the 21-24 age bracket would be handy to add a bit of leadership and class, along with setting high training standards and culture.

There are a few areas to work on at the Dockers imo. And I'd probably attack the front half this draft if possible.

You need someone (KPP) who can kick 50 odd goals for the year and maybe a small forward who can chip in with 30-40. The inclusion of a Hogan would be big get and someone who could easily kick 50 if healthy for a full year; however it appears he's set to stay a Dee.

If you don't land Hogan, King and Rankine would be the perfect start. But as others have stated, Freo is a young list and some talent around the 21-24 age bracket would be handy to add a bit of leadership and class, along with setting high training standards and culture.
I really can't see King as an ideal option. He may be a very good prospect, but will not have much of an impact for 3-4 years, and would be highly sought after by the Vic clubs. We have Hugh Dixon on our list from the last draft who is yet to debut, and O'Reilly as a prospect in this draft. Lobb hopefully coming in.

Focus on the midfield is where the value is for us. Rankine, Rozee and Smith better options, and while they may also have be from other states, they will play and impact almost immediately, which helps interstate recruits settle into their new club

I really can't see King as an ideal option. He may be a very good prospect, but will not have much of an impact for 3-4 years, and would be highly sought after by the Vic clubs. We have Hugh Dixon on our list from the last draft who is yet to debut, and O'Reilly as a prospect in this draft. Lobb hopefully coming in.

Focus on the midfield is where the value is for us. Rankine, Rozee and Smith better options, and while they may also have be from other states, they will play and impact almost immediately, which helps interstate recruits settle into their new club
The Kings wont take as long as you think, i expect them to start being a handful at 20-21 much like Daniher, Cameron and Lynch where.

The Kings wont take as long as you think, i expect them to start being a handful at 20-21 much like Daniher, Cameron and Lynch where.

Agreed.

Surely Ben King is a better AFL prospect right now than Aaron Naughton was this time last year.

Max might be a shade behind due to the knee but these guys are far far different in body shape to the likes of Wright, Boyd, Patton, etc.

None of those guys could run a sub 3 second 20m as far as I’m aware. The Kings are very quick, strong and wiry.

Agreed.

Surely Ben King is a better AFL prospect right now than Aaron Naughton was this time last year.

Max might be a shade behind due to the knee but these guys are far far different in body shape to the likes of Wright, Boyd, Patton, etc.

None of those guys could run a sub 3 second 20m as far as I’m aware. The Kings are very quick, strong and wiry.
Not necessarily disagreeing but this time last year Naughton had already dominated at WAFL senior level for Peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back