Review Dayne Beams - The Midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dayne Beams the midfielder

Before Saturdays game Sidey was statistically the best in the comp.
Love them both though.
Beams and Sidey are like peas in a pod and were both important parts of last years flag.

Really?? I didn't know that...Certainly puts a spin on things :cool:. Mind you having said what I said, if I could choose anyone to have a kick from inside 50 on the run on any angle - to win the premiership - it would be sidebottom. Such a good finisher

Sidebottom says hello.:thumbsu:

Beams is a much better kick than Sidebottom. Sidey is an excellent decision maker but the quality of his kicking is overrated in my opinion.

Beams is a significantly better player than Wellingham in isolation, but unfortunately for him he's a bit too similar to Pendlebury and Ball in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

I always thought he was the obvious replacement for Ball when he retired, but the way Ball looks this season that mightn't be for a few years yet. Unfortunately Beams finds himself in a similar position to what James Kelly did for the Cats. His versatility cost him a spot in the midfield rotation oftentimes.

All that said, I think he's the second-best 21/U midfielder in the AFL (behind Cotchin), so it's a bloody crime we don't get to see him in his best position. Not sure what the solution is though.

Good post and it's probably the reason the coaching staff use him as they do. Kid's a gun and if he was at any other club he'd be one of the most hyped players in the comp by now. He can't even get into his actual position our team is that strong.

geez i like the kid ...he's young. He was a lil selfish a couple of times last week but he pulled his head in and gave off goals this week. I think he was a bit desperate to get a few goals against his name to maintain his spot in the team but I think someone might have had a word to him about flying shots on goal..... i thought it was interesting that Luke Ball "generated" a handball received from Beams and a goal when Beams was only 30 metres out....I think it was a reminder of team football.

As for comparisons with Sharrod, they are a similar size eh? Both a looking for a spot...yeh that's true. Both have two arms and two legs.. but Sharrod has done a little more in big games.

Anyway, it looks like Dayne has hit a bit of form at the right time of the year....which is very good news..

Sidebottom's kicking skills are well behind these three, and behind Pendles' and Beams' as well.

To be honest, I would also put him behind Shaw, O'Brien, and Thomas too. Vastly overrated kick on this board.

Feel free too, though I'll keep my opinion.:):thumbsu:

[youtube]YNKYAUPd8og[/youtube]

Beams is a significantly better player than Wellingham in isolation, but unfortunately for him he's a bit too similar to Pendlebury and Ball in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

I always thought he was the obvious replacement for Ball when he retired, but the way Ball looks this season that mightn't be for a few years yet. Unfortunately Beams finds himself in a similar position to what James Kelly did for the Cats. His versatility cost him a spot in the midfield rotation oftentimes.

All that said, I think he's the second-best 21/U midfielder in the AFL (behind Cotchin), so it's a bloody crime we don't get to see him in his best position. Not sure what the solution is though.

Agree, but not with the dosage. Wellingham is very dangerous, especially at a ball-up in front of the stix. His burst speed and weaving is excellent in this situation.

The two are incommensurable in the sense of what they offer the team. But I guess it's true to say Beams offers more positional rather than situational flexibility.

I agree on this one Old Spice
St Kilda is a team where we need the Wellinghams to smash through their one paced troop of honest toilers.
But against Geelong, you'd want Beams on song. Stronger over the ball, and has shown excellent forward nouse under huge pressure.

The good news is we can performance manage our entire team to take advantage of our strengths and punish other teams' weaknesses.

Beams and Didak running into form would be ominous for our opponents, who would by now realise with Rounds and Fasolo starting in a very composed fashion that we bat even deeper than they thought. TBH Didak is the missing link - get him, Harry and Maxwell to their best form, and we can't be beaten.

I agree on this one Old Spice
St Kilda is a team where we need the Wellinghams to smash through their one paced troop of honest toilers.
But against Geelong, you'd want Beams on song. Stronger over the ball, and has shown excellent forward nouse under huge pressure.

The good news is we can performance manage our entire team to take advantage of our strengths and punish other teams' weaknesses.

Beams and Didak running into form would be ominous for our opponents, who would by now realise with Rounds and Fasolo starting in a very composed fashion that we bat even deeper than they thought. TBH Didak is the missing link - get him, Harry and Maxwell to their best form, and we can't be beaten.

Yeah, it's very humorous on the main board to see how Pies run has been sheeted home to a good injury run. The fact is we've smashed all and sundry without Jolly who was said to be central, when Swan and Thomas missed a week, without Dawes as the 2nd twin tower etc.

But I'd love some late season turbo chargers to be flicked.

Career comparison between Beams and Sidebottom:

Dayne Beams (186cm, 80kg) - Played 53 of a possible 69 games (76.81% of club games), 73.03% gametime, 19.91 disposals per game (30.52% of which were contested possessions) @ 73.65% disposal efficiency, 4.64 marks per game, 2.79 tackles per game, 2.13 clearances per game, 3.30 inside 50s per game, 1.04 goals per game (52.38% accuracy) and 0.66 goal assists per game, along with a Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 80.06

Best game - vs. Port Adelaide, Round 20, 2011

Steele Sidebottom (180cm, 83kg) - Played 54 of a possible 69 games (78.26% of club games), 76.85% gametime, 18.22 disposals per game (33.74% of which were contested possessions) @ 76.93% disposal efficiency, 4.48 marks per game, 4.04 tackles per game, 1.46 clearances per game, 2.56 inside 50s per game, 0.91 goals per game (64.47% accuracy) and 0.61 goal assists per game, along with a Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 81.85

Best game - vs. Richmond, Round 4, 2011

Career comparison between Beams and Sidebottom:

Dayne Beams (186cm, 80kg) - Played 53 of a possible 69 games (76.81% of club games), 73.11% gametime, 19.91 disposals per game (30.52% of which were contested possessions) @ 73.65% disposal efficiency, 4.64 marks per game, 2.79 tackles per game, 2.13 clearances per game, 3.30 inside 50s per game, 1.04 goals per game (52.38% accuracy) and 0.66 goal assists per game, along with a Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 80.06

Best game - vs. Port Adelaide, Round 20, 2011

Steele Sidebottom (180cm, 83kg) - Played 54 of a possible 69 games (78.26% of club games), 75.28% gametime, 18.22 disposals per game (33.74% of which were contested possessions) @ 76.93% disposal efficiency, 4.48 marks per game, 4.04 tackles per game, 1.46 clearances per game, 2.56 inside 50s per game, 0.91 goals per game (64.47% accuracy) and 0.61 goal assists per game, along with a Champion Data Player Ranking score average of 81.85

Best game - vs. Richmond, Round 4, 2011
Nice work, both look very similar. What site did you use to find these stats?

Feel free too, though I'll keep my opinion.:):thumbsu:

[youtube]YNKYAUPd8og[/youtube]

Yeah, we should remember though Pie Eyed, that these guys are talking about goal kicking when they say "finishing". I am talking about goal kicking and field kicking, and I still think that Beams is a bit better than Sidebottom.

For the record, Beams is actually one of the best snap shots on goal (either foot) in our side. Very very good with that particular kick.

Nice work, both look very similar. What site did you use to find these stats?

I used a combination of Footy Wire, the Herald Sun Superfooty site (for current disposal efficiency, contested possession and clearance numbers), and the 2011 AFL Prospectus (for past disposal efficiency, contested possession and clearance numbers) to compile them (not just a simple copy/paste job). I don't bother with Pro-Stats, as their numbers always seem to be way off the other sources, who all use the official stats from Champion Data.

Yeah, we should remember though Pie Eyed, that these guys are talking about goal kicking when they say "finishing". I am talking about goal kicking and field kicking, and I still think that Beams is a bit better than Sidebottom.

For the record, Beams is actually one of the best snap shots on goal (either foot) in our side. Very very good with that particular kick.

Think you've got my original post wrong.
I'm simply adding Sidey's name to the list you posted.
I'm pretty aware of how good Beams is.:D

Sidebottom's disposal issues are that he's a lazy disposer, and he lacks penetration, so he lacks the ability to kick over a zone, which Beams can. Kicking over zones is a big part of our being able to quickly put scoreboard pressure on.

There's no question he has vision, and can be accurate when he's concentrating, but he's very prone to turning it over under no pressure whatsoever simply because he's overly lackadaisical. This is particularly frustrating, as opposed to turning it over under intense pressure.

As for finishing, Sidebottom is outstanding at finding space up forward, and a lot of his goals are relatively simple finishes because of it. He can certainly kick goals from difficult positions, but a lot of his goals are in very good position and under little pressure. Beams on the other hand seems to make a habit of kicking around the body snaps on either foot under intense pressure out of dead ball situations. Both are valuable in their own way, though IMO I'd only have Didak equal with Beams to take a snap from just about any angle inside 50. Didak is a bit more deadly, but Beams is better on his wrong foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't say his top 10, but him sidey fasolo witts reid ect all really exciting future prospects to keep our club on the top for a long time.

To fulfil his potential he needs to play as a midfielder. Hate seeing him stuck out on a HFF. The problem is breaking into the midfield & getting a decent run there. We have compiled an awesome stockpile of midfield talent. We have a number of guys who are best suited in the middle who are either playing out of position or in the VFL:

Beams, Sidebottom, Blair, Krakouer, McCarthy and soon Josh Thomas. These guys could all be walk up starts to a lot of AFL midfields. Unless injuries hit they are not currently in our best midfield. If you are not capable of playing out of position - like McCarthy - opportunities will be very limited to play senior footy.

Sidebottom's kicking skills are well behind these three, and behind Pendles' and Beams' as well.

To be honest, I would also put him behind Shaw, O'Brien, and Thomas too. Vastly overrated kick on this board.

Sidebottom seems to kick OOF a lot...not sure why

Remove this Banner Ad

Back