Deaths at Dreamworld

Remove this Banner Ad

If you actually believe that then how do you even risk leaving your house every day? Brave man. Not very smart. But certainly brave.
probably because I'm not a massive campaigner like yourself

Nobody not involved in the official investigation can comment on the incident with any kind of authority. It's a bit like the discussion about MH370 - none of us were there so speculating on it is a complete and utter waste of time.

Come off it mate....There can be no doubt that the conveyor IS THE ISSUE here....Who are you kidding.

Just an all-round tragedy. Can't imagine what the family is going through.

Not sure what happens to Dreamworld, Luna Park was closed for 3 years after the Ghost Train fire in 1979. The owners had better be prepared.

Last edited:

I went on a half similar (much smaller, but still) ride in San Sebastian, Spain recently. The last bit of that also had a conveyor belt style setup, to get the little boats we were in out of the water and ready for disembarking and then the next ride; it was mechanised, however it wasn't so much a conveyor as logs rolling slowly- and importantly, there was no gap between them, so no danger of something horrific like this happening.

Probably a bit morbid but I'm really interested to see the findings of what caused the accident.

It looks like a pretty straightforward setup for transporting rafts to the top of the ride. How a raft that size can rotated 90 degrees from the horizontal and trapped in a pinch point I just don't understand.

I went on a half similar (much smaller, but still) ride in San Sebastian, Spain recently. The last bit of that also had a conveyor belt style setup, to get the little boats we were in out of the water and ready for disembarking and then the next ride; it was mechanised, however it wasn't so much a conveyor as logs rolling slowly- and importantly, there was no gap between them, so no danger of something horrific like this happening.
You could easily get a hand pulled into a setup like that and crushed. In fact there's a particular type of mining crusher that works exactly that way (a grinding roll).

Would've thought a flat surface with no gaps (like a rubber belt or pan conveyor) would've been the safest. Add some cleats to grip the raft if needed?

You could easily get a hand pulled into a setup like that and crushed. In fact there's a particular type of mining crusher that works exactly that way (a grinding roll).

Would've thought a flat surface with no gaps (like a rubber belt or pan conveyor) would've been the safest.
Fingers/hands, yes. Not an entire body minced I wouldn't have thought. These were simply too close together, and nor were they moving very fast.

Fingers/hands, yes. Not an entire body minced I wouldn't have thought. These were simply too close together, and nor were they moving very fast.
Actually since they're not counter-rotating you are correct. However, once they get wet it's highly unlikely they could provide enough friction to move a raft of this size up a hill.

100%.

Articles about 'a culture of fear and intimidation', the CEO's salary etc.

Opportunistic muckraking.

There was repeated union action culminating in a court order.

Inspections resulted in every ride failing.

They were ordered to fix things and then refused to comply, took the matter to court claiming worksafe had no jurisdiction.

Rides were found with out of date licenses, tape holding them together, rusted with holes and rust falling into pools.

Yeah - just a freak accident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were ordered to fix things and then refused to comply, took the matter to court claiming worksafe had no jurisdiction.

Rides were found with out of date licenses, tape holding them together, rusted with holes and rust falling into pools.

I presume you're referring to this:
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...deemed-not-fit-for-service-in-2012-inspection

The complaint seems to be that the air compressor pressure vessels were not registered. Dreamworld said they didn't have to be because the ride itself was registered. The government agreed. Not to mention it was 4 years ago and no claim of the air receivers being in any way involved has been made.

The other complaints (unsubstantiated and anonymous) were closed out by WorkSafe, so unless you are claimed WorkSafe is corrupt it's meaningless.

Certainly it's possible something went wrong (there is a suggestion that a shutoff that would have turned off the ride did not operate) but there's not much to suggest that there is currently a cultural issue at the park.

Care to substantiate any of this with something that's not a news.com.au article?

Care to substantiate any of this with something that's not a news.com.au article?
surely a wordpress article is like the truth isn't it?

that what the conspiracy theory nutjobs will tell you anyway

One person dying after slipping and hitting their head against something could be called a tragic accident.

Four people dying in ways reminiscent of a shitty horror movie is clearly a bit more exceptional. I'll be surprised if Dreamworld aren't found to have ****ed up in a major way. Don't blame the media and those oh-so-Marxist unions for suggesting such a possibility.

Also love this, people taking in tragedy as #greatnews.

It reminds me of how people stayed up all night to watch the 'Sydney Siege' as they love calling it in buzz media terms, and then put on the sobbing as soon as people were killed. Grief news is just bizarre. You start a thread on something provocative and you're banned or called pompous, but you discuss four people dying and people disrespectfully speculating on how they died, and it's somehow acceptable.

It's easy to get sucked into the hullabaloo when strange, otherworldly events occur.

Me and a mate were up while the Sydney Siege was happening, forgot all about it, then got completely sucked in once we flicked the TV on. The whole thing is movie-like and transcends the reality of the situation; then people die and there's a new perspective on it.

It's similar to 9/11. My uncle was up late and was just about to go to bed when the first tower was hit; subsequently he was up for most of the night watching the events unfolding. There's just this inconquerable morbid fascination with extreme events, which can be pretty blunt and a little indifferent.

I suppose a lot of it is a by-product of the media's story. Once the event is in motion it's a spectacle, but once civilians are dead it's a sob-fest.

One person dying after slipping and hitting their head against something could be called a tragic accident.

Four people dying in ways reminiscent of a shitty horror movie is clearly a bit more exceptional. I'll be surprised if Dreamworld aren't found to have stuffed up in a major way. Don't blame the media and those oh-so-Marxist unions for suggesting such a possibility.

You, like everyone else, don't know anything about the incident other than has been reported in the media.

I'll blame the media and unions for speculating all I like. All that is achieved by speculating on who or what was at fault, focusing on the pay packet of the CEO etc. is to prejudice and agitate public opinion before the investigation has taken place. The next time someone dies in a car accident on a poorly maintained country road are we going to bay for the blood of the head of Main Roads?

yay! now the mummy brigade is starting up - this woman, who had absolutely nothing to do with this at all, now claims to be the worst parent ever because she rode it 2 weeks ago and it her kids have been talking about it since..

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...r/news-story/ca1c9b82f5b136255e70f9dc7bbb7e8b

go **** yourself kim
When commenting about something that doesn't directly affect them, is there a more painful start to a sentence than, "As a mother..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back