Deaths at Dreamworld

Remove this Banner Ad

yay! now the mummy brigade is starting up - this woman, who had absolutely nothing to do with this at all, now claims to be the worst parent ever because she rode it 2 weeks ago and it her kids have been talking about it since..

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...r/news-story/ca1c9b82f5b136255e70f9dc7bbb7e8b

go **** yourself kim

I don't know Homer Simpson, I never met Homer Simpson, or had any contact with him, but . . . I'm sorry, I can't go on"

homer-badman18.png

I'm saying the media and opportunistic union officials shouldn't speculate in the public sphere. You don't see the distinction, do you?
It's the media's job to report the news; at times, that will require speculation, particularly if organisations withhold information. Also, are the unions 'speculating' when they provide evidence to support their claims.

Kristina Kenneally on Sky said this case will be taught in media and PR classes for years as a textbook example of how not to respond to a crisis. Dreamworld have ****ed up spectacularly.

Should run a sweep on whose opinion will be sought first to fill News column space.

Constance Hall, Clementine Ford, Em Rusciano, Waleed Aly, Mia Freedman...

Rebecca Wilson

Oh wait...

It's the media's job to report the news; at times, that will require speculation, particularly if organisations withhold information. Also, are the unions 'speculating' when they provide evidence to support their claims.

Kristina Kenneally on Sky said this case will be taught in media and PR classes for years as a textbook example of how not to respond to a crisis. Dreamworld have stuffed up spectacularly.

Is it the media's job to report the salary of the CEO? Is it the media's job to attack the terminology used by emergency services personnel? Is it the media's job to publish the opinion of some dude who worked at the park for 6 months in the 80s?

Is it in the public interest for the media to report:

The theme park, owned by Ardent Leisure, was even warned in one report released to AWU that the deadly Thunder River Rapids ride was “not fit for service.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...n/news-story/59597fc4aa0fe7ef1e146e1064e5d2e9

with zero substantiation?

When was the ride "not fit for service"? In the opinion of whom? What action was taken when this statement was made? Once these sort of statements are out there they are out there and despite counter claims doubts linger.

“We welcomed almost 1.8 million people to Dreamworld last financial year and prior to Tuesday there has never been a death at the park due to a ride incident, despite Dreamworld hosting more than 30 million visitors since it opened in 1981.

“This is largely due to our robust policies and procedures and our 1000 plus employees who are totally committed to guest services and guest safety. The importance of safety is inherent in all our operations and decisions at every level of the business.

“All our procedures and systems are constantly benchmarked against international best practice and ride manufacturer specifications.

“Our rides and slides are checked and tested by our experienced team before the park opens every day.

“If it’s not tested, it doesn’t open.”

No one gives a s**t about the safety record or any maintenance and operating regimes that are in place because someone said in the news it's "not fit for purpose".

Is it the media's job to report the salary of the CEO? Is it the media's job to attack the terminology used by emergency services personnel? Is it the media's job to publish the opinion of some dude who worked at the park for 6 months in the 80s?
The salaries, profits and bonuses of Dreamworld executives is most certainly relevant if it comes at the same time that corners are being cut on safety and inspections. Time will tell if that is the case and the media will likely play a role in exposing it.

Is it in the public interest for the media to report:

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...n/news-story/59597fc4aa0fe7ef1e146e1064e5d2e9

with zero substantiation?

When was the ride "not fit for service"? In the opinion of whom? What action was taken when this statement was made? Once these sort of statements are out there they are out there and despite counter claims doubts linger.
I would think the 143 documents detailing concerns about safety are entirely relevant. I don't agree with unsubstantiated claims.

I will never understand why people want to get up in union faces and side with corporations when, and let's be clear here, a Dreamworld ride killed four people, something that can have no acceptable explanation. Either the machinery ****ed up or someone on the staff ****ed up.

The ABC has obtained more than 150 pages of documents from Queensland Workplace Health and Safety (QWHS), showing safety concerns dating back to 2012.

But the Australian Workers' Union, which is also privy to the records, has questioned why the documents are heavily redacted and limited, given its repeated requests for the information 18 months ago.

In one of the documents, from October 2012, a safety inspector from the Australian Institute for the Certification of Inspection Personnel said the park did not produce evidence of having a quality management system in place.

His report declared 13 rides, including the Thunder River Rapids, "not fit for service" over their air receivers, or compressors, which needed to be registered.

However, the State Government ruled soon after that the air receivers, which is not suggested to be linked to Tuesday's accident, did not need to be registered separately to the amusement ride.

Despite the State Government's ruling, the inspector Shaun Langdon told the ABC that his concerns about safety remained, because no accident plan to resolve issues had been put in place.

[...]

The Australian Workers Union has criticised the theme park for having a toxic culture and accused the management of ignoring safety concerns.

It had applied for the QWHS documents twice in the past year and a half, but only received the redacted version, which the ABC also used for this article.

While the theme park fought the documents' release, the Australian Government's information commissioner overruled to say any accidents were in the public's interest.

The union's Ben Swan said the material raised more question than answers.

"It [Dreamworld] wants to protect its commercial interests from public scrutiny," he said.

"If this is an organisation that relies on its reputation as a safe place to go, why [are they] resisting scrutiny of this material?

"I as a member of the public ... it would affect my decision about whether I would go on the ride or not."

Following the Dreamworld incident, Busch Gardens theme park in Florida closed a similar attraction while they "worked with other park operators and ride manufacturers to understand what happened in Australia".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-27/dreamworld-documents-released-awu-safety-qwhs/7969940

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You, like everyone else, don't know anything about the incident other than has been reported in the media.

I'll blame the media and unions for speculating all I like. All that is achieved by speculating on who or what was at fault, focusing on the pay packet of the CEO etc. is to prejudice and agitate public opinion before the investigation has taken place. The next time someone dies in a car accident on a poorly maintained country road are we going to bay for the blood of the head of Main Roads?
What a poor example. People don't drive the rides at dream world. They are purely passengers with zero control and completely reliant on dreamworld unlike those who are driving vehicles on the road. And on the roads the drivers of cars who cause a crash through neglectful driving are held responsible when other passengers and even other drivers are hurt.

The salaries, profits and bonuses of Dreamworld executives is most certainly relevant if it comes at the same time that corners are being cut on safety and inspections. Time will tell if that is the case and the media will likely play a role in exposing it.

It certainly isn't a good look if the executives are raking in million dollar salaries while rides are understaffed to save a few bucks which has been reported.

The salary of the Ardent Leisure CEO had zero bearing on the incident. Dreamworld is one theme park with theme parks accounting for about 15% of the revenue of the organisation. Again, pure opportunism (aided by the timing of the AGM) to draw a link between the salary/bonus of the CEO and the operating expenditure of Dreamworld. Maybe they've cut corners in every theme park and every single ride they operate is a death trap. I don't know, nor does anyone ITT. Maybe their maintenance and operating regime is industry standard or above. Again, no one ITT knows.

I would think the 143 documents detailing concerns about safety are entirely relevant. I don't agree with unsubstantiated claims.

To date I have not seen a single one referenced meaningfully. I mean if I were a journo/AWU official and I had in my hand a document that said the ride should not be operated etc. I'd probably be bringing that into the public sphere.

I will never understand why people want to get up in union faces and side with corporations when, and let's be clear here, a Dreamworld ride killed four people, something that can have no acceptable explanation. Either the machinery stuffed up or someone on the staff stuffed up.

People get 'up in the union faces' because it took barely a few hours if that for the AWU to use the incident to drum up PR.

I'm not siding with Dreamworld, I'm siding with moderateness. I don't know 2/5 of FA about Ardent Leisure or how they operate Dreamworld, but I reckon Worksafe Qld do. And I reckon people that work at Dreamworld do. And I reckon people that recently worked at Dreamworld do. And I reckon engineers and contractors who undertake work at Dreamworld do.

I'm not siding with Dreamworld, I'm siding with moderateness. I don't know 2/5 of FA about Ardent Leisure or how they operate Dreamworld, but I reckon Worksafe Qld do. And I reckon people that work at Dreamworld do. And I reckon people that recently worked at Dreamworld do. And I reckon engineers and contractors who undertake work at Dreamworld do.
Did you see bomberboy's post above? The ABC has more than 150 pages of documents from Queensland Workplace Health and Safety (QWHS), showing safety concerns dating back to 2012. That's what the media does when it's at its best, get to the truth when others would be trying to hide it.

And I reckon people that work at Dreamworld do. And I reckon people that recently worked at Dreamworld do. And I reckon engineers and contractors who undertake work at Dreamworld do.

Gee, you think those people talk to their union, mayhap?

What a poor example. People don't drive the rides at dream world. They are purely passengers with zero control and completely reliant on dreamworld unlike those who are driving vehicles on the road. And on the roads the drivers of cars who cause a crash through neglectful driving are held responsible when other passengers and even other drivers are hurt.

I don't drive the train I take to work either, nor do I pilot any flights that I take. Trains and planes still crash. It's lazy to just link any incident to CEO remuneration.

I personally have been on that same ride. It is a walk in the park.This was a tragic accident.

Hopefully no corners were cut. An inquiry will bear that out. (You'd hope).

But anytime you go on/depend on something designed by mechanics there is an element of risk.

Did you see bomberboy's post above? The ABC has more than 150 pages of documents from Queensland Workplace Health and Safety (QWHS), showing safety concerns dating back to 2012. That's what the media does when it's at its best, get to the truth when others would be trying to hide it.

I'm well aware of the AWU request for information. I posted the findings from the OIC yesterday. Where is all this publicly available info that declares the ride unsafe to operate?

Gee, you think those people talk to their union, mayhap?

I'm sure those that are union members do. That is their prerogative.

As has been posted previously it's not up to the AWU to determine what is and isn't safe. They can raise concerns to Ardent and/or Worksafe, but despite behaving like the self-appointed OH&S Executive, they are not. If Ardent comply with the regulatory requirements and the AWU don't like it then they can lobby the regulator. Ardent don't have to satisfy the AWU above and beyond the requirements of the regulator.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back