Deaths at Dreamworld

Remove this Banner Ad

It will, but apparently it's better to publicly speculate causes and outcomes beforehand.

Mate the first rule of public policy is if you want something covered up call an inquiry. (A lot of people/Tourists go to Dreamworld after all).

Anyone who has scanned the Courier Mail knows what happened (The mechanics at least).

Whether the actual causes are revealed who knows?

I'm saying the media and opportunistic union officials shouldn't speculate in the public sphere. You don't see the distinction, do you?
Yeah, you've said that in various ways about a dozen times.

We get it.

Personally, I'm glad the AWU spoke up and let the public know they had expressed safety concerns many times in the past and had been rebuffed by Dreamworld management. It sharpens the media focus and makes it more difficult for those campaigners to weasel their way out of it. The relevant authorities might be less likely to cop a bribe knowing they're under the scrutiny of the entire nation.

Hopefully the investigation won't be a whitewash and justice will be done.

Dreamworld tragedy not 'freak accident',

directors should be 'nervous' about litigation, lawyer says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-...not-just-a-freak-accident-lawyer-says/7969354

A Brisbane lawyer says she has received calls from witnesses to this week's deadly incident at Dreamworld and believes those found responsible could face jail terms and hefty fines.

It comes as the Gold Coast theme park hit back at critics on Wednesday, asserting that all ride safety certifications were in place when four people died after a raft overturned on the Thunder River Rapids ride.

"Cases like this generally aren't just freak accidents, it's generally a series of events or something has actually gone wrong to result in such a significant catastrophic event," Alison Barrett said.

"If Dreamworld is prosecuted, the highest penalty is up to $3 million for a corporation. So Dreamworld itself, and then the directors themselves can also be held personally liable and face up to five years in jail and other hefty penalties."

Union blasts Dreamworld's 'organisational arrogance'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-...t-expert-points-to-maintenance-issues/7967020

The Australian Workers Union (AWU) accused Dreamworld of organisational arrogance after it raised serious safety concerns with the theme park 18 months ago.

AWU state secretary Ben Swan said there was "very little cooperation" with Dreamworld.

"There have been ongoing concerns for a considerable time about the operation and maintenance of plant and equipment including rides at Dreamworld," he said.

Mr Eager raised the issue with a former engineer at Dreamworld today and was told there was a toxic culture that had infected the way in which things got done within Dreamworld.

"There is a culture of fear — the words used to me were — 'don't stick your head up too high because it's liable to get chopped off'," he said.

The union said the tragedy should not stymy the good work of those in the industry but answers were needed so something like this never happened again.

Last edited:
http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/one-hurt-three-trapped-after-accident-dream-world/3104330/

There were reports of problems on that particular ride before the accident.

One witness said they'd been waiting for half an hour because engineers were working on the ride.
"They drained all the water out, then they had to refill it, and then people were allowed to go back on the ride."
"This witness actually relayed that they were stuck waiting to get on this ride for at least 30 minutes, just a few hours before this incident happened."

A woman who was at the amusement park last week told the Herald she got stuck on the ride.
"Management blamed it on water pumps and after 20 minutes' wait we were evacuated by exiting off a steep ramp," she said.
"I believe this was not a one-off accident and could have been avoided."

Mr Eager raised the issue with a former engineer at Dreamworld today and was told there was a toxic culture that had infected the way in which things got done within Dreamworld.

"There is a culture of fear — the words used to me were — 'don't stick your head up too high because it's liable to get chopped off'," he said.

Not sure that's the best analogy to be using in this situation.

Not sure that's the best analogy to be using in this situation.
Well, those were the exact words used. He was quoting a colleague.

Yesterday, I was going to ask why none of the staff hit the "kill switch" on the conveyor belt when the first raft got stuck, but then I decided it would be more appropriate to say "emergency stop button"

Another video has popped up of the raft not leaving when it is suppose to. You can see just as they take off another raft hits them, around the 48 second mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kids surviving is very very lucky, probably the only good thing about this.
I still havent heard anything definitive about this. So the kids were thrown out... do they mean their parents quickly threw them out before it flipped or that they actually flew out as it flipped? Cant see how they would have missed the conveyor belt if they were thrown out by the flip itself.

I still havent heard anything definitive about this. So the kids were thrown out... do they mean their parents quickly threw them out before it flipped or that they actually flew out as it flipped? Cant see how they would have missed the conveyor belt if they were thrown out by the flip itself.
Queensland Police Assistant Commissioner Brian Codd said he had viewed graphic CCTV footage of the incident in a media conference.

'I have seen CCTV footage. It seems from what I've seen it's almost a miracle anyone came out of it,' he said.

'If we're going to be thankful for anything, I'm thankful for that.

'Two of those (rafts) have come together and as a result one has flipped backwards and it has caught and tossed some of the people that were on the ride backwards on the conveyor belt.

'They (the children) were thrown at one part from the ride and then managed to extricate themselves.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ays-son-traumatised-t-speak-saw.html#comments

Another video has popped up of the raft not leaving when it is suppose to. You can see just as they take off another raft hits them, around the 48 second mark

Yeah I can see how that video was an indication of how a raft could flip on a conveyor belt and kill 4 people

Should have shut the ride down then and there

People may say it's not relevant to the issue, but for someone who's spent much of her working life in media and PR, Deborah Thomas really stuffed up the bonus issue.
Doesn't help when the media refer to an $843k bonus being awarded without qualifying that it's an amount to be spread over 4 years and not a one-off

Ardent should've postponed the AGM.
Agreed

And wanting to open on the Friday was silly. Should've said they'll wait until the police/worksafe etc have completed their investigations on site and determine an opening time then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back