Autopsy Deja Voodoo - Clawed at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

I re-read every autopsy loss of last season.

Well the first 10 pages. Of each. That was enough.

Consistently inconsistent was the theme.
Right up until it clicked.

My view is we come here we all talk dribble, and move on,

We end up talking more about how we support the club than the club itself 😂, like a real family

Francis used to play back exclusively for essendon . Sort of a third defender type intercepter.

The Truck took over and he was flipped around.

His kicking is horrid.
Though when he tapped on to create the first goal. I was like. Ok.

Look the one thing I felt with Francis is I don't know what happened with his kicking! It was elite in juniors think Goddard it was that good. Now is that confidence or was it just because it was juniors I don't know. That was one draft I was wrong about I remember having him in the top 2 talents in that draft. Feel what he needs is playing in one position whether it be back, FWD or as a tall mid.

What we are is the antithesis of Norf fans.

The Norf Board comprises with a few hon exceptions the most deranged and bitter people I have come across.

We don’t eat our own players, staff or fellow posters.

Look the one thing I felt with Francis is I don't know what happened with his kicking! It was elite in juniors think Goddard it was that good. Now is that confidence or was it just because it was juniors I don't know. That was one draft I was wrong about I remember having him in the top 2 talents in that draft. Feel what he needs is playing in one position whether it be back, FWD or as a tall mid.
He also gets injured Sam Reid style.

What we are is the antithesis of Norf fans.

The Norf Board comprises with a few hon exceptions the most deranged and bitter people I have come across.

We don’t eat our own players, staff or fellow posters.
Well... Its quite nice.
maxresdefault.jpg

He also gets injured Sam Reid style.

Which in turn hurts his fitness and he's had issues staying in peak shape. To be fair he's stayed on the park the whole of this year which is probably the longest he's gone without getting injured. Still don't know how he's gone from what looked an elite kick to a poor to average one though

To be fair Fox did seem to slide and made it worse than it looked, but I was surprised he didn't get a week

Yeah same purely on the basis they take into account what may have happened and the "if you make head contact and you could have made a tackle" thing. Surprised he wasn't offered a week but I'm happy enough he wasn't. He's a very clean player.

i may be in the minority but I would have taken this loss a lot easier if we honestly didn’t make the grand final last year. We lose to the pies in the last seconds and somehow makes us hungrier for this year. The grand final humiliation doesn’t happen and the mental hoodoos of previous grand final failures don’t haunt us. (Mind you the mental hoodoos of choking a big lead in the prelim would be there) but not as bad as our recent gf performances
Rowbottom is just out there chasing Dangerfield , what a waste of ******* time imo
Hewett effect. Will thrive when given license to hunt only. May be better off with a move out of this midfield at the end of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i may be in the minority but I would have taken this loss a lot easier if we honestly didn’t make the grand final last year. We lose to the pies in the last seconds and somehow makes us hungrier for this year. The grand final humiliation doesn’t happen and the mental hoodoos of previous grand final failures don’t haunt us. (Mind you the mental hoodoos of choking a bit lead in the prelim would be there).

Hewett effect. Will thrive when given license to hunt only. May be better off with a move out of this midfield at the end of the year

Theres probably an alternative world where in an odd way we are better off losing to the dees week 1, win a semi and lose a prelim away.

I mean id rather always get as far as possible, but in a silly way maybe its better long term

Ha.
So you've lost faith?
Swans won't win another game this season?
Just making up the numbers?
No chance of finals now...
Etc etc.

Who had the worse loss? Cats v the Suns or Swans vs the Cats?
That’s easy - swans v cats. Cats had a delayed pre season and are working into the season.

I only just stepped into this thread but I'm going to presume the 10 or so pages I'm skipping were gold.

In the preview I think it showed we were giving up 4cm, 4 or 5kgs and 4 years on average per player. Weight and years of experience will come, height will only come through trading or drafting.

Been screaming for KPD and a midfield bull for years, hopefully now the club will listen to the blatantly obvious. This should be a turning point.
Height will come from not having 8 KPP out injured.

It’s going to get a lot worse before it gets worse
Mills was in the midfield against Melbourne and we got killed in there. Obviously I think he makes us a lot better in the mids (I spoke about this in the Bloods Performance thread), but one player wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome. It's also worth remembering that Mills wasn't down back just for the match-up on Hawkins. He was basically organising our structures as the leader in the absence of Rampe.

I think where Horse & co can take some ownership is with the mids. Look at the names who were in there and I still don't see any reason they couldn't have performed better. You have Parker who is a leader and supposedly an elite mid we were so eager to sign for 4 years. You have Warner who was in the AA squad last year. You have Rowbottom who was arguably BOG in 2 out of our 3 finals last year. You have Papley who is an AA player and dangerous centre bounce player. And you have Gulden, who is a prodigious if developing talent.

Horse & co need to be asking themselves why that group didn't work, and what needs to change. I don't believe it's a personnel problem.

Horse can’t be blamed for the stream of one sided free kicks

Or the repeated drops in uncontested marks in the back libe

Not can he be for the shoddy kicking of our defenders who played all of whom are amongst our better kicks but Blakey and floren turning it over when free was destructive

But the big issue is this - we actually had arguably our best outlet marks in heeney and Hayward playing. And they barely got a look

There’s something wrong with our inability to hit these two - McLean. And ladhams and Francis should largely have been structural but we didn’t do that -

I remember a March where Neil Balme only had Jeff farmer and Sean Charles and Jim Stynes as his forward - and their game plan was to kick it to Stynes who would mark kick it sideways and the. Run 50m down the line for the next kick. We never looked like doing anything different at any stage but it’s possible that I just stopped watching when we tried things

I want to see more 2nd efforts from Ladhams. Once the tap has been made he needs to become a hard-ball winning midfielder. His decision making needs to be a lot sharper, his hands need to be a lot cleaner, his tackling needs to be more effective and he needs to lower his eyes going forward. Sam Reid ought to be coaching him, an under-sized ruckman who times his leap perfectly and is quick and strong below his knees when the ball hits the deck. Reid would never have let Aliir in to spoil Ollie's goal against Port. Reid would have thrown his big body into contests like a wrecking ball. He would have used smart taps to space to avoid being tackled. He would not have allowed a player to break through a tackle and run away from him. He would not have allowed another player to mark against him.

Ladhams lacks footy IQ more than anything else.

You're pretty much asking Ladhams to be an elite mid & ruck. That's not going to happen. Blicavs is the best at what you describe & he's a freak of nature. I think people need to temper their expectations with Ladhams considering it's only his 2nd season with us, that also with a proper ruck coach. Sam Reid is a close comparison to Blicavs with the things you've mentioned. Sam Reid is a different player to Ladhams, it's unfair to expect either player to play like each other. Reid has made plenty of mistakes during his career too. He's let players mark against him, he's let players break through tackles etc. Reid isn't perfect & neither is Ladhams.

Ladhams went at nearly 80% disposal efficiency, previous week v tigers he led the clearances & was one of our top contested possession getter. He's showing different attributes, it's inconsistent but it's improving.

Swans fans expectations about Ladhams are unrealistic & it's an unfair expectation on him. He's not Blicavs, he's not Gawn, he's not Tim English nor Sean Darcy. It's fine to expect him to improve but the outcry over his performances have been over the top.

It's easy to blame Ladhams when the real issue has been our poor contested ball numbers & pressure. That's on the midfield & team as a whole. I would love to see Ladhams improve on his contested ball work but I know right now it's going to be inconsistent, similar to our young mids.

Ladhams is a just a big, dumb, galoot. Port knew it. I knew it. I dunno why the swans didn't know it. Maybe they did. Maybe they wanted a galoot. Him and McClean would have to be the most galooty combination in the AFL. To my eye they don't look nimble enough to play the game at the level required.
I know we need all the fit talls we have left atm and these guys are only our backup ruckmen/tall forwards, but you dont see a lot of galoots on really good teams. The quality of our talls drops off a cliff. We don't have a lot of depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back