Resource Depression/Anxiety the silent killers - everyday is RUOK day. #SpeakUpStayChatTy

Remove this Banner Ad

Just hang in there mate. Hope you are surrounded by family and friends. I'd recommend talking to a professional too.

My missus committed suicide 6 weeks ago so I've got a fair idea what you and the family are going through.

Geez Darko. Nothing we say will ease your pain. Believe in yourself mate and those around you.

Love Hojuman.

Just hang in there mate. Hope you are surrounded by family and friends. I'd recommend talking to a professional too.

My missus committed suicide 6 weeks ago so I've got a fair idea what you and the family are going through.
So sorry to hear mate :( Hope everything is going okay for you, Horrible feeling.

F***. Sorry to hear your news.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

This s**t this is all too common.

I've been thinking lately is Goldie going thru sometype of depression. I seem to recall that he had a bad break up with his family.

Dealing with a bipolar substance abusing family member growing up I've had some confronting run ins with the black dog, and it messed me up quite badly when I was in my early 20s and doing my first stint at uni. I sought help from the uni counselor and a GP, one prescribed travel the other medication. I went with the former and it had the desired effect, I found career aspirations of working on infrastructure projects in developing countries and by sheer dumb luck I find myself doing that now and I'm extremely grateful and haven't had any major issues since. But since that experience I've made an effort to actively manage my mental well-being. I have learned to notice my negative thoughts and identify them for what they are. I run myself through daily rituals which include listing the things I'm grateful for.

If anyone is interested in giving themselves a mental health tune up I wholeheartedly recommend this book by Alex Korb - The Upward Spiral - Using Neuroscience to Reverse the Course of Depression, One Small Change at a Time.

It's basically does what it says on the box - explaining the neuroscience behind depression, and providing a multitude of simple actions and behaviours you can employ to improve your mood/mental health it also explains the mechanisms behind these and provides plenty of studies to back it up.
There are so so many things you can do, not all of them will work for everyone, but if you understand the science, and yourself you can manage it.

Full free Audiobook on you tube here -

Part 1 is the science of depression
Part 2 is all the ways to influence your mental well being. - given the multitude of examples he gives you can basically jump in anywhere in part two and find something useful.

Another fascinating discussion of depression I found useful was Robert Sapolsky's lecture on the topic. He's a professor of biology, and neurology and neurological sciences at stanford uni and is an incredibly interesting guy all his lectures are worth watching

Hopefully someone might find this useful.
Cheers.

Thanks guys for sharing. Very sorry for your losses. This is a topic not many people find easy to talk about.
The wife of one my mates has had a problem with depression for many years now. She has periods, which can last months where she can't get out of the house because of it. She is doing a little better at the moment and finds that outdoor activities like bike riding and going for long walks really help her!
Wishing everyone who is fighting this demon lots of strength and courage. To everybody else out there if you have friends or family suffering depression try and recognize the signs and take them outside. Go for a walk, have a coffee, travel or whatever you can think of. Every little bit helps and will hopefully prevent them tipping over the edge.
All the best to all the sufferers out there and remember you are no alone!

As others have said, please talk to someone, your gp or loved ones if you are feeling really down and depressed or anxious.

Speaking from my own experience, not letting anxious or obsessive thoughts dominate your life and the way you want to live your life goes a long way. Involving others helps you win the war against illnesses like depression and anxiety.

I am so sorry. Thinking of you and your family in this awful time. Sometimes you can't do anything, DP, except hang in as best you can, and give and take whatever support you can.

My wife found her cousin who she was really close too after she had done it - the trauma continues- all the love DP

Sorry to hear all the sad stories in here and thanks for everyone for sharing. One thing I like to add. From own experience I can say some people can hide it extremely well, do not beat yourselves up if you didn't pick up on any signals of depression. I've been able to hide it for years even from people very close.

Sorry to hear all the sad stories in here and thanks for everyone for sharing. One thing I like to add. From own experience I can say some people can hide it extremely well, do not beat yourselves up if you didn't pick up on any signals of depression. I've been able to hide it for years even from people very close.

Really hope you're ok J4K

Is a reminder to me that outside football that theres a lot more in life outside of it.

These things have happened to you guys and people around you which will allow you to help others from your experience. It sucks to be that person but you can change someones life. Although you may of lost someone close to you; you may help and prevent someone who maybe contemplating doing the same thing. Unfortunately thats the only thing I can say positive to say.

We're all here for you too :)

All the best peoples. Hopefully the rest of the footy season will give you some happiness and joy from the bright future our club has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*!

I dunno what to say but hang in there.

Shocking situation Darko, so sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately for far too long society formed the view that people should not talk about mental illness, because to own up to some sort of condition, showed a weakness or that someone was/is a nutter. Right now I have the most horrendous respiratory virus, which is quite okay to talk about, but in the past at least, if I was to put my hand up and say I am in the middle of some sort of mental condition, some people would look at me a little differently from there on.

Schwatta has done some terrific work here and within the football community at least has allowed some people to admit to their difficulties and be able to seek help. This needs to extend right across the community because silence can be such a killer.

i believe also that we all here have a responsibility to post comments about players/coaches/club staff/other posters here, which, albeit may be fair criticisms, but those comments should be done in a way where we do not demean the party we are posting about. None of us knows how anyone else is feeling on any given day.

It may be that it only needs one more cruel, vindictive comment/post to tip someone over the edge and take their life.

To reiterate the comments of many others here, if you are feeling the effects of depression/anxiety/etc and don't know how to cope, put your hand up, go see your doctor and get a referral to a mental health professional.

Want to put myself out there as someone anyone on here can message to talk to. Got a lot of experience personal and secondary with mental health and have gone to great lengths in the last two years to get myself as healthy as possible. If you want advice or just someone to talk to don't be a stranger <3

Have just found out that a memorial has been organised by the Latrobe and Devonport women's team at their game on Saturday.

My cousin played for Latrobe and the club was one of the biggest parts of her life.

A minutes silence is being held pre-game and balloons will be purchasable at the game to be released into the sky and funds given to her direct family to help with funeral costs.

It's heartwarming seeing how many of the people she spoke about with love, loved her back just as fiercely.

My Mum's Partner of 10 years committed suicide a couple days ago. Saw this bumped and thought I'd chime in. All I have felt is overwhelming anger that someone could do this knowing the affect it would have on their loved ones. Heartbroken for her, and although I can't imagine what someone must be going through to take their own life, please if anyone is thinking about it even for a second reach out and get help.

Saddened by all the stories in this thread and just in general, too many lives cut terrible short. All the best Darko and DP keep kickin' on, you have the support of friends, family and the whole board as well.

My Mum's Partner of 10 years committed suicide a couple days ago. Saw this bumped and thought I'd chime in. All I have felt is overwhelming anger that someone could do this knowing the affect it would have on their loved ones. Heartbroken for her, and although I can't imagine what someone must be going through to take their own life, please if anyone is thinking about it even for a second reach out and get help.

Saddened by all the stories in this thread and just in general, too many lives cut terrible short. All the best Darko and DP keep kickin' on, you have the support of friends, family and the whole board as well.
How awful for your mum and your family. Take care of each other, you'll be in our thoughts.

I have no words. Jut blown my mind darko. I really don't know what words can do, or even if its to presumptuous for me to even speak as I don't really know you - but my thoughts are with you this morning and I hope that you and your family get everything you guys need to get through.

Well spoken Deddy - I have no clue what its like for you, but thinking of you mate.

Nothing wrong with feeling angry. In my situation lot of people from both sides of the family are angry and pissed off. I'm not. I could never get pissed off at her. There is no right or wrong IMO. Some get angry, some don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back