Health Depression

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've pretty much avoided this thread for a while, just because reading alot of the posts can exacerbate depression and it can set you on a spiral of self loathing.
I've had a bad few days, particularly yesterday when I came home from work and had a hard time controlling the tears. My wife noticed despite my best efforts to hide it and asked whether I was still on medication and whether I'd need to see the doctor to maybe increase it. What I really needed at that moment was for her to put her arms around me and give me a hug instead.
I'm feeling very alone, have for a few months.
My salvation is running, I love both trail and road running. It gives me a few hours on my own to escape everything and puts me on a high for a few hours afterwards. Trail running especially, the isolation and being in nature where you can just enjoy the surroundings is a great outlet. The only issue I have is that, like a lot with depression, you feel as though you're not worthy of much and so I push myself to the point of punishment and exhaustion. A long way past what I should be doing. Funnily enough, I'm at the point where if I pushed myself beyond what is reasonable with my running and suffered a heart attack, it doesn't scare me in the least. I have an understanding of why some depression sufferers self-harm, pushing myself to the absolute brink when running is my form of self-harm I guess. Like a lot of runners, I suffer from post-race depression and also when the weather is too bad to run in.
Having depression and hitting middle age, maybe it's like the perfect storm but it's like there are many things I don't give a s**t about anymore except for running.
Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this off my chest this week.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I've pretty much avoided this thread for a while, just because reading alot of the posts can exacerbate depression and it can set you on a spiral of self loathing.
I've had a bad few days, particularly yesterday when I came home from work and had a hard time controlling the tears. My wife noticed despite my best efforts to hide it and asked whether I was still on medication and whether I'd need to see the doctor to maybe increase it. What I really needed at that moment was for her to put her arms around me and give me a hug instead.
I'm feeling very alone, have for a few months.
My salvation is running, I love both trail and road running. It gives me a few hours on my own to escape everything and puts me on a high for a few hours afterwards. Trail running especially, the isolation and being in nature where you can just enjoy the surroundings is a great outlet. The only issue I have is that, like a lot with depression, you feel as though you're not worthy of much and so I push myself to the point of punishment and exhaustion. A long way past what I should be doing. Funnily enough, I'm at the point where if I pushed myself beyond what is reasonable with my running and suffered a heart attack, it doesn't scare me in the least. I have an understanding of why some depression sufferers self-harm, pushing myself to the absolute brink when running is my form of self-harm I guess. Like a lot of runners, I suffer from post-race depression and also when the weather is too bad to run in.
Having depression and hitting middle age, maybe it's like the perfect storm but it's like there are many things I don't give a s**t about anymore except for running.
Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this off my chest this week.

strength in numbers
any gurl/guy that find it hard 2 get out of bed
wanna hang shitty NSW ?

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Online footprint is 4ever
i slipped up this week.....started drinking.......turned into a bender
any decent person in NSW north coast around newcastle wanna self improve and lonely

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
I appreciate depression is different for everyone and everyone responds to things differently. Here's a few things that helped me to get through some darker times when suffering depression that others may/may not find helpful for making the day seem a little better or help with coping and energy levels:

*Getting rid of processed foods as much as possible and substituting in more fruits and vegetables
*Likewise ensuring two litres of water consumption a day, cutting down on soft drink. I don't drink energy drinks but ditching them wouldn't hurt.
*Going to bed at the same time every night during the week, waking up at the same time every morning to build a routine
*Cut out alcohol and illicit drugs. I know they can provide reprieve but it's a temporary sensation and I found I felt a lot worse the next day as I was back to my usual feeling plus the guilt associated with drinking and/or drugs.
*Exercise cannot be understated as everyone has mentioned, even an hour walk gym or bike makes a huge difference
*Saying yes to as many social events as possible. There's no obligation to attend but it's good to have options. The compromise I'd try make is going along and then allowing myself to leave after an hour if I still didn't feel up to it. Obviously some days it was simply a non-attendance, however if you have a close group of friends who are aware of your situation it makes things easier in this regard.
*Avoid gambling altogether, gambling and depression are a toxic cocktail of outcomes
*Meditate, it's amazing what it does for your mental health. Start with 3 minutes, don't worry about all the thoughts it's all part of the process of learning and you'll soon be comfortable with 10, 15 then 20 minutes.
*Telling people you love/appreciate/care about them. Give more hugs to people that are comfortable being hugged. Try to focus on your actions making the world a little brighter even if your world isn't going great at the moment.
*Write a list of things to do each day, make it entirely achievable. Wake up, shower, eat breakfast, make lunch, vacuum floor, just little things you can focus on and tick off to provide a small sense of accomplishment.

Most importantly for me was understanding that this too will pass, it's not your life from here on in. My depression was constant for three years and one day I had the realisation that it had been some time since a 'down day'. As grim as it may be today you are loved and valued by people even if you're currently struggling and you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't stick around to see things improve in the future when they do so.

If you need to talk flick me a message. I can't promise a response right away but I will read it and get back to you.

Last edited:

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been getting these vocal outbursts a lot lately, can't really control them. Sometimes I catch them and stop myself before saying anything but there is a weird sensation in my brain that feels like it's trying to force something out. Have struggled with severe depression for years but didn't think this was a by product nor a sympton of it?

I've had high level pain and discomfort on my lips for seven months and Ive been told it's just stress/depression. One stage I couldn't even talk for a period. Depression and stress can do alot of things supposedly.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
anyone tried supplement 5 HTP

but yeah exercise is massive

No. Yes it is to a point but not always a cure. One harsh fact is you do need to live life on your own terms as much as possible. Unnecessary stress can create problems.

I've had high level pain and discomfort on my lips for seven months and Ive been told it's just stress/depression. One stage I couldn't even talk for a period. Depression and stress can do alot of things supposedly.

It can. I really believe the brain and body are linked in a lot of ways, many of which are not understood. I for example can do a lot of stuff if feeling positive but if in a spiral the same thing can aggravate something unpleasant.
Been getting these vocal outbursts a lot lately, can't really control them. Sometimes I catch them and stop myself before saying anything but there is a weird sensation in my brain that feels like it's trying to force something out. Have struggled with severe depression for years but didn't think this was a by product nor a sympton of it?

Same thing happened to me. It can be hard as there are not a lot of opportunities for outlets but this can cause real issues. Sometimes you need a private space in your head where you keep things to If things are dire and you are in a toxic environment you need to move on rather than lash out. (Think of it like a physical fight. Defend yourself by all means but if you can walk away as it ain't worth the aggrevation).

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

How are you now dude? I hope you are better.

Life f sucks. My lips have been sore so much the past few weeks, it's just been constant pressure. Been like this since Feb. Don't even tell doctors anymore as everyone tells me it's fine as nothing is noticeable. Stress and depression they say. Wtf am I supposed to go for the painful feeling to go if the stress is never going to go away because it's not. Depressing.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think it's ok, Getting put on meds for the vocal outburts, not sure what to make of them. But like you with your lips depression seems to show in a variety of ways beyond our control sadly. :( Have you tried a 2nd opinion from a different doctor?

What meds have you been given? I only just got discharged from hospital today after a few days in for something else so I talked about it to a diff doc at length and it's just stress/depression.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
375mg venlafaxine. Coming off it and possibly going on something different as well as something for the verbal outbursts.

Hope you're feeling a bit better, hospital can be ok when you have docs there at hand right away and a bit of a break from duties outside of it.

Are you still on venlafaxine? I looked. It up and it's pretty strong. Is it amazing the things pills can do? Been off my anti depressant/sleeping pills for over a week and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to sleep for the past few days. The pills aren't even that strong and if a tad tired they put me out. Now I have insomnia again.

What pills are you taking now if any?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Rage my man. Anger that's built up.

Sep 21, 2008
docklands
AFL Club
Geelong
Talking to a depressive mate of mine and said for a good 2 decades he was depressed then one morning he woke up and said he suddenly felt better then came back as day went on then next day felt better and from then on the depression disappeared. All his 20s and 30s suffered depression. Then good in his 40s. He couldn’t believe it he felt good again. Even said had moments to end it all.

Interesting how this weird beast works. He didn’t do anything to make himself better it just happened..

Back