Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

anti depressants do f all if you aint happy in life pills are not magic. sleeping pills can be good coz they knock you out for a bit

I can empathise with you as that has been my experiance. But I do know a LOT of people who have benefited from anti-depressants, so I'd suggest if recommended by your Dr give them a try.

I can empathise with you as that has been my experiance. But I do know a LOT of people who have benefited from anti-depressants, so I'd suggest if recommended by your Dr give them a try.
I think they are definitely very helpful for the right people but I swear GPs are waaaay too keen to randomly prescribe what is a pretty serious med.

Conversely yes they are potentially addictive and only for short term but with benzos they carry on as if they are giving out heroin.

stopped taking them they dont do anything for me. what ones were u taking

I've been on basically everything and they haven't done anything for me. Some people like us are like that, but I have seen people get benefits from them so would at least suggest people give them a try.

I'm currently on Fluvoxamine (not to be confused with Fluoxetine (Prozac). Also on benzos (clonazapem), plus also meletonin for sleep (which has done nothing).

I've been on all the Benzo's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Trycyclics, Tetracyclics, even the dreaded MAOI's.

How many have you been on? If something isn't working ask for a change.

I think they are definitely very helpful for the right people but I swear GPs are waaaay too keen to randomly prescribe what is a pretty serious med.

Conversely yes they are potentially addictive and only for short term but with benzos they carry on as if they are giving out heroin.

I've never been prescribed them by a GP (unless I was out of scripts). Always by a psychiatrist. They cost a bloody fortune but if you find the right one it's worth it.

Edit: I meant the psychiatrists cost a bloody fortune, not the meds. Wasn't sure I made that clear.

I've been on basically everything and they haven't done anything for me. Some people like us are like that, but I have seen people get benefits from them so would at least suggest people give them a try.

I'm currently on Fluvoxamine (not to be confused with Fluoxetine (Prozac). Also on benzos (clonazapem), plus also meletonin for sleep (which has done nothing).

I've been on all the Benzo's, SSRI's, SNRI's, Trycyclics, Tetracyclics, even the dreaded MAOI's.

How many have you been on? If something isn't working ask for a change.
I’m on Mirtazipine.

I’m on Mirtazipine.

That was one of my first ones. It made me quite drowsy and hungry. Do you get those side affects?

Also forgot to mention I've been on Lithium and an anti-psychotic or two, just everything. I'm not bi-polar or schizo, but sometimes they try these when nothing else works. They did nothing for me.

I’m still going to my psychologist. Results are slow but we did a list today covering different areas of my life and how I felt about them last year and this year. Made me see I am making some progress. Also have a bit of a lower back problem and the physio and chiro suggested swimming so I’ve started that. Exercise does make you feel good.

So glad to hear some positive signs!

My anti depressants don't make me happy, but they do stabilise my mood.
What does this mean? Like, I'm being told to give them another crack, but I tried them and I still felt the same s**t that I do when I'm not on them. It's not going to change my situation...and anyway, I'm not a big believer in depression being caused by situation. I've got mates who bag people like Wil Pucovski for having "nothing to be depressed about", and that's when I say to them that's the exact description of clinical depression

Anyway, I'm no good right now. Gonna go sink a bottle of Beam and contemplate my next step

What does this mean? Like, I'm being told to give them another crack, but I tried them and I still felt the same sh*t that I do when I'm not on them. It's not going to change my situation...and anyway, I'm not a big believer in depression being caused by situation. I've got mates who bag people like Wil Pucovski for having "nothing to be depressed about", and that's when I say to them that's the exact description of clinical depression

Anyway, I'm no good right now. Gonna go sink a bottle of Beam and contemplate my next step

You might have to try a few different anti depressants to find the right one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take Cymbalta.
But what does it mean? Like if I’m feeling like jumping off a cliff, will it keep me steady in that feeling? I jest, but you know what I mean?

I think in a technical sense ‘mood stabilisers’ refers to antimanic drugs like lithium, which are designed to level off the highs for bipolar patients

Antidepressants are sort of the opposite, designed to lift your baseline

But what does it mean? Like if I’m feeling like jumping off a cliff, will it keep me steady in that feeling? I jest, but you know what I mean?

Hopefully it would at least elevate you from that basement level mood.

Cymbalta keeps me at about 40%. 50% being neutral.

I used to take Zoloft which would elevate me to about 60% but then it was a gradual slide down to 20%, before jumping back up and repeating the process. I have treatment resistant depression though, so it might be different for most people.

Hows everyone travelling at the moment?

Not brilliantly. I'm sure a lot of that is isolation and sheer loneliness that isn't helped by on/off lockdown, but it's yet another winter where my mental state has deteriorated.

Making a real effort to go out for a long run, daily :thumbsu:. Think the sunlight does me good, as well as the exercise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back