Society/Culture Do you understand and accept the importance of neopronouns?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Gethelred check this out...

So in your mind, she's a cat? That's how she identifies and that's the bottom line?
I don't give a * how she identifies. If she wants to identify as a cat, it isn't any of my business.

That, truly, is the extent to which I've thought about this. I'd identify as ambivalent, seeing as pronouns are the word of the moment.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't give a fu** how she identifies. If she wants to identify as a cat, it isn't any of my business.
Of course, but that's not the issue. Folks can identify however they like. I don't dispute that. If she wants to live as a cat, she should go for it. That's no one else's business. But that doesn't mean everyone else has to validate that fantasy. I'm not going to pretend that she is in fact a cat. And you apparently object to that?

So do you consider her to be a cat?

She identifies as a cat, so she's a cat? Right?

Or not?

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Last edited:
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Of course, but that's not the issue. Folks can identify however they like. I don't dispute that. If she wants to live as a cat, she should go for it. That's no one else's business. But that doesn't mean everyone else has to validate that fantasy. I'm not going to pretend that she is in fact a cat. And you apparently object to that?

So do you consider her to be a cat?

She identifies as a cat, so she's a cat? Right?

Or not?
Just to be clear, it's a kink thing. She's doing it as a kink thing.

The article makes no expectation of general social expectation for humans other than her partner - who, generally speaking, is consenting to their relationship being the way it is, is willing to adhere to her fetish - to treat her as a cat, to behave as though she's a cat. She found a job where she gets to pretend to be a cat, and she found a boyfriend willing to stay with her, particpate in the things she likes.

Do you usually indulge in kink-shaming?

She doesn't identify as a cat, quite clearly. She provides answers to questions; she talks, goes to work, wears clothes, and has sex with her human boyfriend. She is willing to talk to a tabloid about her experience; I'd be rather interested to know a bit more about how they approached her, what she was told about what their story would be about.

I rather think they might've taken a story about a fetishist and her partner and turned it into an identity politics thing.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to be clear, it's a kink thing. She's doing it as a kink thing.
Who are you to draw that conclusion?

She explicitly says she identifies as a cat.

Why don't you validate her self ID as a cat?

The article makes no expectation of general social expectation for humans other than her partner - who, generally speaking, is consenting to their relationship being the way it is, is willing to adhere to her fetish - to treat her as a cat, to behave as though she's a cat. She found a job where she gets to pretend to be a cat, and she found a boyfriend willing to stay with her, particpate in the things she likes.
She identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as one?

Do you usually indulge in kink-shaming?
I'm not doing that.

This woman identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as a cat?

You're the one taking her identity and reducing it to a sexual fetish. That's gross. Would you say the same about a trans woman? They're not really trans, it's just a kink?

She doesn't identify as a cat, quite clearly. She provides answers to questions; she talks, goes to work, wears clothes, and has sex with her human boyfriend. She is willing to talk to a tabloid about her experience; I'd be rather interested to know a bit more about how they approached her, what she was told about what their story would be about.

I rather think they might've taken a story about a fetishist and her partner and turned it into an identity politics thing.
She identifies as a cat.

Why don't you regard her as such? Who are you to police her identity?

If someone identified as a moon but had a job and wore clothes instead of floating in outer space, would you disregard that self ID too?

Suddenly you're not so eager to accommodate? How come?

Kat told Barcroft TV: “I have always been different. I just always had a fascination with cats and I felt myself, I'm a cat. I go through life being a cat – it's just who I am.”

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Who are you to draw that conclusion?

She explicitly says she identifies as a cat.

Why don't you validate her self ID as a cat?

She identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as one?

I'm not doing that.

This woman identifies as a cat. Why don't you regard her as a cat?

You're the one taking her identity and reducing it to a sexual fetish. That's gross. Would you say the same about a trans woman? They're not really trans, it's just a kink?

She identifies as a cat.

Why don't you regard her as such? Who are you to police her identity?

If someone identified as a moon but had a job and wore clothes instead of floating in outer space, would you disregard that self ID too?

Suddenly you're not so eager to accommodate? How come?
Yeah, I've seen this show before, SW. It's entertaining, but this is where I get off.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I've seen this show before, SW. It's entertaining, but this is where I get off.
So let's recap.

I tell you that I won't accommodate neopronouns because they're ridiculous. Someone can identify as a cat or whatever but they're simply not. I'm not calling anyone catself or moonself. I won't participate in such absurdities.

You take issue with this position. You ask why I won't validate the way other people identify.

I offer you an example of a woman who identifies as a cat, and you refuse to validate that, because she's clearly not a cat.

Is that a fair account?

We've all seen this show before. It runs on repeat. Spoiler alert: it ends with me being right.

Last edited:
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
So let's recap.

I tell you that I won't accommodate neopronouns because they're ridiculous. Someone can identify as a cat but they're simply not. I won't participate in such absurdities.

You take issue with this position. You ask why I won't validate the way other people identify.
I didn't take issue with this position at all. I asked you why you've taken it, and why you think I should.

Given how happy semantics make you, you'd have thought a small but necessary distinction wouldn't have slipped through the cracks.

I offer you an example of a women who identifies as a cat, and you refuse to validate that, because she's clearly not a cat.
... because it's clearly a kink thing, and she is wearing clothes, answering questions, and going to work. The article makes clear references to BDSM and pet play, and discusses how she had to introduce her boyfriend to the culture and bring him around to the idea.

This is a component of why this'll be the last post you're going to get out of me here: when you think you've found the wedge, you hone in on it and attempt to cram who you think you've wedged upon it, ignoring each and all factual evidence or argument which might contradict your position or allow them to evade the wedge.

It's why it works sometimes to extreme effect, but when it doesn't work you start to sound increasingly hysterical with each successive post.

I've no desire to be a component of such a performative little exercise, SJ. You're welcome to find someone else, though.

Is that a fair account?
See above.
We've all seen this show before. It runs on repeat. Spoiler alert: it ends with me being right.
It usually ends with you declaring you're right, and the other party being disgusted with themselves for bothering.

I mean, sometimes you're absolutely right. But not always.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn't take issue with this position at all. I asked you why you've taken it, and why you think I should.

Given how happy semantics make you, you'd have thought a small but necessary distinction wouldn't have slipped through the cracks.

... because it's clearly a kink thing, and she is wearing clothes, answering questions, and going to work.

This is a component of why this'll be the last post you're going to get out of me here: when you think you've found the wedge, you hone in on it and attempt to cram who you think you've wedged upon it, ignoring each and all factual evidence or argument which might contradict your position or allow them to evade the wedge.

It's why it works sometimes to extreme effect, but when it doesn't work you start to sound increasingly hysterical with each successive post.

I've no desire to be a component of such a performative little exercise, SJ. You're welcome to find someone else, though.

See above.

It usually ends with you declaring you're right, and the other party being disgusted with themselves for bothering.

I mean, sometimes you're absolutely right. But not always.
I'm happy with my summary.

You can't just reframe everything to say "nah this is what it's about". You have to match me on the detail, the principles and the grasp of the material. It doesn't happen often.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Back