Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle vs Adelaide

Friday 29th March 2024

Optus Stadium

4:20pm

Me and Football and Big Footy

This little intro is not funny. It may not be interesting. I hope it is not maudlin and I hope it does not come across as attention seeking. If you don’t want to read a personal and sad story that is intended to show the value of being a fanatical football supporter and the value of a forum like Big Footy, then jump straight to ‘Last Time They Met’.

I have attended football all my life. (I am a boomer). I was a rusted on East Fremantle supporter back in the day and even after the Eagles entered the V/AFL in 1987 I still relentlessly attended the WAFL. It was only after the Dockers were formed that I gradually gave up the WAFL for the Dockers and the AFL.

Now, jumping forward a bit to the sad part. In winter of 2010 my lovely husband had very poor health. On Friday 3rd September 2010 we were told he had leukemia. This was the day before the Elimination Final against Hawthorn. I had tickets, of course, and what could one achieve by staying home? So I attended. Although at times I cried behind my sunnies, the match cheered me up. I still enjoy watching that match. Luke being so dominant he just about made Buddy cry. Dave Mundy coming of age as an elite midfielder. And a great performance from Greg Broughton, a pity that went awry. That team was so young – an average age of 23 years and 10 months, so Footy Wire tells me – ridiculous.

Anyway, in 2011 things went from bad to worse. On Sunday 11th June I sat in my husband’s hospital room while the neurologist explained to us that the cancer cells had entered the brain and spinal fluid – a rare occurrence. This was the day that the Dockers threw away a 3 goal lead at ¾ time (and more I think early in the fourth) vs Hawthorn at the G and managed to go down by 22 points. The neurologist was a wonderful doctor, a wonderful human being and a Dockers supporter. He sat through that last quarter in the hospital room with us and tried to help us assimilate the information he had given us.

Round 1 of 2013 came between the day I was widowed and the funeral. We played the Eagles and had a comfortable, and somewhat unexpected, win. I attended of course. It cheered me up no end.

During that 2.5 years I spent a lot of time on Big Footy. I was either at the hospital or largely house-bound being a carer, so what else to do with my time? I felt like I got to know the posters and loved the training reports from salim malik. After my husband died I started going down to Freo Oval to join the training watchers. I needed something enjoyable to do. I met Salim (now sadly gone) and I met King Huskii – a very compassionate and caring person. I met some others as well.

I was lucky enough to attend the 2013 Grand Final and hope to be at the Grand Final again for all the right reasons.

The football, the Dockers and Big Footy were a big support to me over that time, although they didn’t know it and I can mark so much of that time by football matches.

Nobody needs to feel sorry for me. I lead a full and happy life. The football, the Dockers and Big Footy are all an important part of it. I don’t attend training as much as I used to, as I am too busy. I don’t post all that often, but I am often here and feel part of a Dockers’ community.

I don’t know how to round this off except to say ‘Let’s F..ing Go’.

Last Time They Met

2023 Round 4 Adelaide Oval Dockers 10 12 72 Adelaide 17 9 111

Our form was poor, despite lodging our first win of the season the previous week against the Eagles. We won the clearances and split the inside 50’s but turned that in to very little. Tex, Rachele and Rankine kicked 10 between them.

Line-ups

The Dockers are without Darcy, Chapman and Cox who are clearly best 23. I guess we will go in unchanged. Our defence looks a bit underpowered with Draper in for Cox (although Draper’s debut was quite promising).

Adelaide are without Sloane, Thilthorpe and Nick Murray. The lack of Thilthorpe makes their forward line a little less intimidating. Their backline might be somewhat weakened by the absence of Murray.

This Week’s Battle

Interestingly Adelaide have won the inside 50s in their 2 games so far. Against Gold Coast it was a low scoring game in trying conditions, inside 50s 54 to 51. Tex did not play that game. Against Geelong on their home deck inside 50s were 66 to 53 and yet Adelaide only kicked 77 points and went down by 19 points.

By contrast the Dockers have lost the inside 50 count in both their games this year – by 8 against Brisbane and by 12 against North Melbourne. I am not sure what this means – I guess Adelaide’s forward line hasn’t hit its straps yet and the Dockers’ forward line is operating quite efficiently. The Dockers’ scoring came quite differently in their 2 matches as well – 10 goals out of 14 from the 4 talls against Brisbane, 6 goals from 15 from the 4 talls against North Melbourne.

Reilly O’Brien has won the hitouts in both Adelaide matches so our midfield needs to be prepared for that. I think as long as we get out of the blocks and split the midfield battle our forwards should put on a decent score and our defence will cope. Rachele and Rankine might be a greater threat than the Adelaide tall forwards.

Prediction

It is a match we should be winning.

Dockers by 25 points.

Fremantle vs Adelaide

Friday 29th March 2024

Optus Stadium

This little intro is not funny. It may not be interesting. I hope it is not maudlin and I hope it does not come across as attention seeking. If you don’t want to read a personal and sad story that is intended to show the value of being a fanatical football supporter and the value of a forum like Big Footy, then jump straight to ‘Last Time They Met’.

I have attended football all my life. (I am a boomer). I was a rusted on East Fremantle supporter back in the day and even after the Eagles entered the V/AFL in 1987 I still relentlessly attended the WAFL. It was only after the Dockers were formed that I gradually gave up the WAFL for the Dockers and the AFL.

Now, jumping forward a bit to the sad part. In winter of 2010 my lovely husband had very poor health. On Friday 3rd September 2010 we were told he had leukemia. This was the day before the Elimination Final against Hawthorn. I had tickets, of course, and what could one achieve by staying home? So I attended. Although at times I cried behind my sunnies, the match cheered me up. I still enjoy watching that match. Luke being so dominant he just about made Buddy cry. Dave Mundy coming of age as an elite midfielder. And a great performance from Greg Broughton, a pity that went awry. That team was so young – an average age of 23 years and 10 months, so Footy Wire tells me – ridiculous.

Anyway, in 2011 things went from bad to worse. On Sunday 11th June I sat in my husband’s hospital room while the neurologist explained to us that the cancer cells had entered the brain and spinal fluid – a rare occurrence. This was the day that the Dockers threw away a 3 goal lead at ¾ time (and more I think early in the fourth) vs Hawthorn at the G and managed to go down by 22 points. The neurologist was a wonderful doctor, a wonderful human being and a Dockers supporter. He sat through that last quarter in the hospital room with us and tried to help us assimilate the information he had given us.

Round 1 of 2013 came between the day I was widowed and the funeral. We played the Eagles and had a comfortable, and somewhat unexpected, win. I attended of course. It cheered me up no end.

During that 2.5 years I spent a lot of time on Big Footy. I was either at the hospital or largely house-bound being a carer, so what else to do with my time? I felt like I got to know the posters and loved the training reports from salim malik. After my husband died I started going down to Freo Oval to join the training watchers. I needed something enjoyable to do. I met Salim (now sadly gone) and I met King Huskii – a very compassionate and caring person. I met some others as well.

I was lucky enough to attend the 2013 Grand Final and hope to be at the Grand Final again for all the right reasons.

The football, the Dockers and Big Footy were a big support to me over that time, although they didn’t know it and I can mark so much of that time by football matches.

Nobody needs to feel sorry for me. I lead a full and happy life. The football, the Dockers and Big Footy are all an important part of it. I don’t attend training as much as I used to, as I am too busy. I don’t post all that often, but I am often here and feel part of a Dockers’ community.

Last Time They Met

Our form was poor, despite lodging our first win of the season the previous week against the Eagles. We won the clearances and split the inside 50’s but turned that in to very little. Tex, Rachele and Rankine kicked 10 between them.

Line-ups

The Dockers are without Darcy, Chapman and Cox who are clearly best 23. I guess we will go in unchanged. Our defence looks a bit underpowered with Draper in for Cox (although Draper’s debut was quite promising).

Adelaide are without Sloane, Thilthorpe and Nick Murray. The lack of Thilthorpe makes their forward line a little less intimidating. Their backline might be somewhat weakened by the absence of Murray.

This Week’s Battle

Interestingly Adelaide have won the inside 50s in their 2 games so far. Against Gold Coast it was a low scoring game in trying conditions, inside 50s 54 to 51. Tex did not play that game. Against Geelong on their home deck inside 50s were 66 to 53 and yet Adelaide only kicked 77 points and went down by 19 points.

By contrast the Dockers have lost the inside 50 count in both their games this year – by 8 against Brisbane and by 12 against North Melbourne. I am not sure what this means – I guess Adelaide’s forward line hasn’t hit its straps yet and the Dockers’ forward line is operating quite efficiently. The Dockers’ scoring came quite differently in their 2 matches as well – 10 goals out of 14 from the 4 talls against Brisbane, 6 goals from 15 from the 4 talls against North Melbourne.

Reilly O’Brien has won the hitouts in both Adelaide matches so our midfield needs to be prepared for that. I think as long as we get out of the blocks and split the midfield battle our forwards should put on a decent score and our defence will cope. Rachele and Rankine might be a greater threat than the Adelaide tall forwards.

Prediction

Dockers by 25 points.
Holy s**t. That brought a tear to my eye. Much love Dockerfemme. Pleased to hear you’ve worked your way through it all - stay strong. Go Freo Fam.

Fremantle vs Adelaide

Friday 29th March 2024

Optus Stadium

Last Time They Met

Line-ups

This Week’s Battle

Prediction

Dockers by 25 points.
Lovely dockerfemme

That was a very moving account of what was clearly a harrowing chapter in your life dockerfemme. I, along with other docker fans I’m sure, feel very pleased that you are again leading a happy and fulfilling life.

So much of what you said about being a Freo supporter resonates. We share the highs and lows of our Club’s successes and failures, always hoping that our time will come, and we will win that elusive Premiership. Can’t help but feel we are getting really close now!

I’m feeling really good about the game today. I expect we will start sluggish after such a short turn around but I think we will get over the line. The crowd will get behind them. Jye to kick at least three and Serong two goals.

Freo by 19 points.

Just to comment on losing inside 50s, I think this can be a misleading stat. Eg you can get ten inside 50s in 5 minutes if the ball ping pongs between the wing and your forward 50. Thus, high inside 50s can actually mean low efficiency of entry. Conversely, low inside 50s can be a sign of more precise build up and high efficiency.
Thus, the inside 50 count is meaningless as not every inside 50 is equal.

Just to comment on losing inside 50s, I think this can be a misleading stat. Eg you can get ten inside 50s in 5 minutes if the ball ping pongs between the wing and your forward 50. Thus, high inside 50s can actually mean low efficiency of entry. Conversely, low inside 50s can be a sign of more precise build up and high efficiency.
Ur right to a large degree but the same arguments can be applied to so many stats - contested footy, clangers, meters gained, effective disposals, hit outs to advantage etc.

An (imperfect) way of assessing the usefulness of a stat would be it's correlation with winning games. A 1:1 correlation would be the most important stat in the world. I guess we all know that stat, it's called the final score. Anyhow, other than the bleeding obvious, does that information exist for us anywhere, the stat:win ratio?

I'd be feeling better if stupid Brisbane with Neale playing had franked our form against stupid Brisbane without Neale playing. And back to back six day breaks. Genuine 50-50 game I reckon, hoping for the best.
Beautiful day for it, anyway. It will be perfect late afternoon conditions for footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be feeling better if stupid Brisbane with Neale playing had franked our form against stupid Brisbane without Neale playing. And back to back six day breaks. Genuine 50-50 game I reckon, hoping for the best.
Beautiful day for it, anyway. It will be perfect late afternoon conditions for footy
They had a game the round before.

We did not.

1st games always throw up strange results but I reckon we danced the dance and would've beaten them by a lot more if we weren't a few down on the bench.

Fremantle vs Adelaide

Friday 29th March 2024

Optus Stadium

Last Time They Met

Line-ups

This Week’s Battle

Prediction

Dockers by 25 points.
I have chatted with you a couple of times at Freo Oval too.

Hard to know how to feel about this game.
Logic says we have a midfield advantage and that’s generally where we’ve generated the wins this year.
Our weakened defence and their potential up forward gives me some concern but more than that, how mentally strong are Freo this year ?
We’ve had some Pb’s on the track and in the gym but have we improved our headspace from last year where we dropped winnable games/went missing at times ??

You could bank on this under the Lyon era, I feel with the short breaks and unexpected wins this week will build a case to see whether there has been some improvement, or not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah totally agree mattis117. How many times have we all seen a Freo team get a massive amount of inside 50s because we keep marking it about 60-80m out from goal and just pump to the hot spot. Only for the oppo to rebound it and we mark again and pump it in long ... again and again.

Rd 1 last year against St Kilda. We win the inside 50 count but go something like 30 inside 50s without a goal because, as you say, not all inside 50s are equal.

Arent we 1st from scores inside 50 this season? We get the ball into the 50 and we score. We also score well from stoppages. Shut them down inside and beat them on the outside.

Easy right....Right?
Basically the same thing I was saying, yes.

Ur right to a large degree but the same arguments can be applied to so many stats - contested footy, clangers, meters gained, effective disposals, hit outs to advantage etc.

An (imperfect) way of assessing the usefulness of a stat would be it's correlation with winning games. A 1:1 correlation would be the most important stat in the world. I guess we all know that stat, it's called the final score. Anyhow, other than the bleeding obvious, does that information exist for us anywhere, the stat:win ratio?

Probable the best stat to predict our win/loss is clearance. Every game bar one (Brisbane) last year when we won clearance we won the game (we won clearance by one in that game). Every game we lost clearance bar two we lost last year, interestingly against Hawks and Crows. But for 20 out of 23 games (87%) that one stat predicted our win/loss correctly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back