Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

But it lacks soul. Hotdogs cost $27. Their wifi gave me radiation poisoning. Last week I saw a security guard roughing up a five-year-old. The AFL desperately needs to shower the place in magic pixie dust or I'll never attend more than a dozen events per year there.

Fair to say this comprehensively answers your question:

So no problem with the physical structure, the management of the place stinks, food cost too high, security unacceptable.

Lacks soul, whats that mean, is it about the team you follow?

So no problem with the physical structure, the management of the place stinks, food cost too high, security unacceptable.

this has been covered plenty of times mate.

most games lvl 1 and lvl 2 are pretty much empty (thanks to the premium pricing). with most punters up on lvl 3, the crowd just feels more disengaged from the game.

when the ground is full, its a different story

Since you asked so nicely, I'll throw in an explainer for those who are slow on the uptake: Most criticisms of the stadium (including the common complaint about it lacking soul) are either vague or exaggerated or just fabricated.

It does get cold there during winter though, hard to argue with that.

this has been covered plenty of times mate.

most games lvl 1 and lvl 2 are pretty much empty (thanks to the premium pricing). with most punters up on lvl 3, the crowd just feels more disengaged from the game.

when the ground is full, its a different story

How is that worse than low-drawing games at the MCG, with most of the crowd tucked away in one corner of the ground (hidden away from TV cameras, as well).

Since you asked so nicely, I'll throw in an explainer for those who are slow on the uptake: Most criticisms of the stadium (including the common complaint about it lacking soul) are either vague or exaggerated or just fabricated.

It does get cold there during winter though, hard to argue with that.

How is that worse than low-drawing games at the MCG, with most of the crowd tucked away in one corner of the ground (hidden away from TV cameras, as well).

Because many of the lower deck seats are GA, and they fill first. There isn't a gap between the fans and the action.

Noone give a s**t about level 2a, and because the AFL and mcc are in bays of their own, it gets ignored.

The equivalent would be if the AFL and mcc seating were most of the lower deck of the mcg, and Ga was just the top deck of every stand

Because many of the lower deck seats are GA, and they fill first. There isn't a gap between the fans and the action.
Except in cases like Melbourne v Fremantle on the weekend when hardly any lower-tier GA seats were filled at all. The only time there's no gap between fans and the action for those games is when the ball is in one specific pocket of the ground, basically.

Except in cases like Melbourne v Fremantle on the weekend when hardly any lower-tier GA seats were filled at all. The only time there's no gap between fans and the action for those games is when the ball is in one specific pocket of the ground, basically.

Melb is the odd one because so many of their members are mcc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m always sceptical of these proposed redevelopments at Marvel as it just doesn’t seem as though there’s enough space outside the stadium to do all of these grand things that they propose. That being said though, this is very exciting. I’m a big fan of the Docklands area though the area around the stadium can feel a little bit soulless at times, so something like this will be great on game day but also for the area in general it will be a treat.

This year's set of Docklands redevelopment renders are a bit later than usual.

Nothing will come of it, just like nothing came of last year's renders, or the year before's renders.

I’m always sceptical of these proposed redevelopments at Marvel as it just doesn’t seem as though there’s enough space outside the stadium to do all of these grand things that they propose. That being said though, this is very exciting. I’m a big fan of the Docklands area though the area around the stadium can feel a little bit soulless at times, so something like this will be great on game day but also for the area in general it will be a treat.

On the city side it is set high above the road and rail yards so plenty of space to build over

Will soccer and rugby codes still be played there? I remember (I think) when it was first announced the government said funding would only go through if that was the case. Could be wrong though

So how will any of this improve the match day experience?

I'm a fan of the stadium, but a lot of people aren't. What's going to change to make those people happy? Given this is all paid for by the AFL signing up the grand final until kingdom come, you'd hope for at least some benefit for football.

So how will any of this improve the match day experience?

I'm a fan of the stadium, but a lot of people aren't. What's going to change to make those people happy? Given this is all paid for by the AFL signing up the grand final until kingdom come, you'd hope for at least some benefit for football.
I'd say these three things address a lot of complaints made by people about the match day experience:
  • Major renovations to public food and beverage areas connecting into the arena and overlooking the field of play
  • Two new and bigger scoreboards hanging from the roof at either end of venue
  • Improved lighting and technology upgrades throughout the stadium. Home clubs on a match day will be able to fully integrate their brand and club colours into the exterior and interior of new development – from the concourse, new entrances and through to function rooms.

Will soccer and rugby codes still be played there? I remember (I think) when it was first announced the government said funding would only go through if that was the case. Could be wrong though

Funding isnt contingent on them playing there, but the ground has to be available for major events, as the stadium fits with the VicGov major events plan - think World Cups, Olympics, Commonwealth Games, that sort of thing.

Funding isnt contingent on them playing there, but the ground has to be available for major events, as the stadium fits with the VicGov major events plan - think World Cups, Olympics, Commonwealth Games, that sort of thing.
Especially with the 2027 Rugby World Cup likely to come to Australia, it will almost be a shoe in. Potentially State of Origin matches too? Bledisloe Cup as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back