lacrow

Team Captain
Feb 7, 2003
Los Angeles
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dodgers, Lakers
Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm sick of all these apologists blaming the players for this pathetic loss. Plus, I'm soooooo ****ed off at that loss.

The fact is that Gary Ayres deserves all the blame for this season. His coaching was absolutely terrible. He personally cost us 2 games: Collingwood (in Adelaide) and Brisbane. He's got to take responsibility for his failures like a real man.

What REALLY ****es me off is that every loss, even one clearly attributable to his strategy (see Collingwood game) is blamed on the players. How ridiculous! How anyone can look at that game on Friday night and NOT realize who is to blame is completely unbelievable.

To blame the players is simply not acceptable. It's like saying the New Jersey Nets players were to blame for Shaq scoring 50 points a game when all the while he is being covered by a player who is 70 pounds lighter and the coach refuses to double-team.

Any time you get match-ups wrong it is the coach's fault. PERIOD!

Any time you refuse to let your players protect a lead, it is the coach's fault. PERIOD!

When I first heard Ayres was taking over after Blight, my first thoughts were "great choice, 'cause he's done such a great job with Geelong" (heavy on the sarcasm, of course). I read a great article on ESPN's website about the terrible record of former stars who try to coach in the NBA. The guy had a great point: Stars don't make good coaches because they can never understand how the average player struggles to play the game.

Eade is available. Wallace is available. Please take a look at these guys, AFC, PLEASE! Or how about Ken Judge? Judge got a lot out of some VERY average sides at Hawthorn and I think he just got a bum rap at WC or Freo, or where ever he went.

Sorry guys, I'm just letting off steam. Any thoughts?

I agree, the players have lost games this year, no doubt.

The big difference is that players lose games all the time but coaches should NEVER lose games FOR the players. It happens and you can't do anything about it. Sometimes it's due to injury, sometimes to form, sometimes to not being good enough on the day, but whatever the reason, it happens.

I repeat, it is NOT acceptable for the coach - who is sitting up in the box watching the entire game unfold with about 10 other guys up there helping him analyze things - to lose a game FOR the players.

For example, saying that we never would've lost the Collingwood game if the ball hadn't come out of the pack is ludicrous. Fact of the matter is that the Adelaide Crows - or any other team for that matter - are only going to win about 50% of all ball ups. Ignoring the fact that such a high percentage of loose balls are picked up by the opposing team is complete idiocy.

It's like me saying, "Well, my builder told me my house would only cost $300,000 to build, so I'll only take out a $300,000 loan" when EVERYBODY knows that there are cost overruns.

Originally posted by lacrow

Or how about Ken Judge? Judge got a lot out of some VERY average sides at Hawthorn and I think he just got a bum rap at WC or Freo, or where ever he went.
No way do we want Judge. Hawks improved after he left & he single-handedly destroyed the Weagles until Woosha arrived (unless it was a clever ploy to draft Judd).

Let's not forget the first Showdown of the year when for some reason he left Kenny Mac to laze in our forward line like a fish out of water while Treaders and Magic Mountain were free to run amok up the other end.

When I first heard Ayres was taking over after Blight, my first thoughts were "great choice, 'cause he's done such a great job with Geelong" (heavy on the sarcasm, of course). I read a great article on ESPN's website about the terrible record of former stars who try to coach in the NBA. The guy had a great point: Stars don't make good coaches because they can never understand how the average player struggles to play the game.
Blight was a star player.

Leigh Matthews as well.

Eade is available. Wallace is available. Please take a look at these guys, AFC, PLEASE! Or how about Ken Judge? Judge got a lot out of some VERY average sides at Hawthorn and I think he just got a bum rap at WC or Freo, or where ever he went.

In spite of Ayres match-day shortcomings, I do think we should honour his contract for next year, and replace Mickan as a minimum of his assistant coaches to get some sharper thinking into the box.

If we under-achieve again next year, Ayres would have to go after a 5 year stint without success. That's the way that coaching goes.

Presuming the 3 guys you mentioned above are available then, my choice would be Wallace, who is a very astute match-day coach and could drain the very last drop out of the Bulldogs players. I hate his squeaky voice though, but that's barely a reason not to appoint a coach. :)

I thought that Eade had a fair run at Sydney without success, although he got close. his personality and player relationship bothers me a bit though.

Judge is a disaster. Players and officials alike cheered to a man when it was announced that he was going to West Coast. His people management skills are nothing short of disgraceful. He is a surly indidvidual who always dwells on the negatives, and destroys individuals rather than building them up.

When he took over West Coast he managed to drive them to the near bottom in almost record time. Again the cheering echoed long and loud when he was replaced.

No good judge would appoint Judge. ;)

Judge - now way!!

Eade & Wallace - No. Don't like 'em. I don't think we would get them anyway. There should be some jobs available for them in Victoria next year (Richmond & Melbourne IMO).

Naughty Monkey mentioned that Craig would not be a great option either.

With that in mind...How about Peter Jonas or Allistair Clarkson? Both have done a great job at Centrals developing tough, committed football teams. Clarko seems to be having a good year with the power and the SA side.

Jonas is still the U 18 coaching Director I think. However if Jona doesnt get one of the SANFL coaching jobs going at the moment I would be stunned.

Originally posted by Jerome
Jonas is still the U 18 coaching Director I think. However if Jona doesnt get one of the SANFL coaching jobs going at the moment I would be stunned.
Why would you be 'stunned'? :confused:

Surely he's on better money at the Swans.

Originally posted by DaveW
Why would you be 'stunned'? :confused:

Surely he's on better money at the Swans.

I didnt realise he was with the Swans. That's even better!

I thought he still living in SA working for the SANFL. I figured a guy his credentials would be a big assett to a club like North or South.

However, he's not here so I have no need to be stunned. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back