Don't want, (or need) to start a new thread - still want to post it though

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guess which team plays in most of the "Games which will define the 8"? (According to AFL.com)

Greatest Album: Dark Side of the Moon

I'm happy with it. Klopp's net spend is still less than a lot of managers and we've got the money to spend for a change.
Problem is you are investing in the wrong position. You need some decent defenders.

May as well pass on that the 2018 bigfooty trial phantom draft is complete. I was the Collingwood recruiter.

Link for those interested: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-big-footy-phantom-draft-trial-run.1199087/

For those wanting some info on those I selected (note - there was no priority for this exercise on academy and father-son picks, all in the draft as free for all picks hence Quaynor was not available to me at 51/52):

16 - Collingwood - Connor McFadyen (QLD - Brisbane Academy)
Best position: Inside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 190cm, 88kg
Similar to: Nat Fyfe
Strengths:
Contested ball winning
Distribution by hand
Stoppage work
Marking threat forward of centre
Contested marking
Reading of the ball in flight
Protects the drop of the ball
One-on-one strength
Scoreboard impact
Clean at ground level
Just as effective forward as he is through the midfield
Weaknesses:
Pace
Agility

More than happy to snag the Allies best mid and most dangerous forward. Tall ball winning midfielders who are hard to stop forward of centre add tremendous value and McFadyen is the best in the draft at it.

Also considered Xavier O'Halloran and Sydney Stack if I wanted more speed, but ultimately I went with the clear best available.

--

51. Collingwood - Will Kelly (F/S)
A Collingwood father-son choice. Collingwood need a key defender, and Kelly is developing nicely coming along over the course of the U18 Champs and looking like Oakleigh's best v Calder in his first game back. Has the closing speed to keep with guys on the lead. Competes well 1v1 and doesn't concede easy marks. Very athletic, provides run from defence and reads the drop of the ball effectively. An overall developable player which is what you look for in a KPP.

52. Collingwood - Mitch Podhajski
Maybe I like tall mids who can go forward? But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when I can get a high quality 190cm mid. Overager who has kicked 14 goals from 8 games. One of the most powerful inside ball winners and also one of the most dangerous when he pushes forward. Has the proven VFL performances behind him. A big time improver who is AFL-ready.

*Tom Sparrow was a strong consideration here but I let him slide mostly to see where he would go.

--
70 - Collingwood - Kyle Reid
Collingwood need lots of key defenders so why not take an u18 All-Australian key defender? Athletic, competes well 1v1 and can negate an opponents influence. What's most impressive is his intercept marking - both with the way he reads the flight and can peel off, but also 1v1 he gets good body position in contests and can take marks. 9 marks (5 contested) last round v GSV Rebels is just a glimpse into what Reid can do at his best. A potential successor to Ben Reid and a potential compliment for Will Kelly in the long term.

--
88 - Collingwood - Martin Frederick
If I want a guy who can provide run and dash from defence there is no better in this draft class than Martin Frederick. Absolutely lit it up for SA with that sheer acceleration with which he takes on the game. He's a linebreaker with elite speed, agility and evasiveness using it in game as well as any outside of perhaps Rankine. I'm also a fan of his kicking with some of his low bullet kicks a highlight.

Overall Frederick isn't a pressing need but he was the standout value choice.

My other consideration was Atu Bosenavulagi, but given he's still here and Collingwood have priority to him as an academy prospect, if this was to extend to a rookie draft, I'd take him there as that ideal long term pressure forward who wins the ground balls as well as any small forward in this draft class.

--
An overall handy haul. McFadyen and Podhajski in a similar way to De Goey give you a lot of options as those genuine ball winning mids who can provide key targets up front and can be used to allow for larger midfield rotation and reduce that need for extra key forwards to be acquired if the right options can't be had. On value I like both with McFadyen inside my top 10 and Podhajski inside my top 30 power rankings for perspective.

Kelly and Reid as key defenders add to the KPP stocks and both have the scope to develop. Neither are season one AFL ready and you wouldn't expect other than Jack Lukosius for any of the KPPs to be ready to play regular footy in season one anyway. But they both have scope to develop and should go a fair bit earlier on draft day than where I took them respectively which added to the appeal. Suitable needs selections without being those absolute top guys on my draft board at those selections, with those others considered in roughly that same conversation making me lean towards getting those KPPs who can fill the clubs most pressing long term needs.

Frederick is a luxury selection but that only remaining player inside my top 40.

Last edited:
There was an issue last year with a cat food product from an American company.
It killed cats, it made cats sick.
It was a “premium” brand, and yes I purchased but was lucky that I feed my cats a mixture of brands.
Even though we did that, we did notice two of our cats exhibit symptoms that the deceased cats had.
We dodged a bullet.
Now there are dead dogs, dogs that need to be put into special chairs simply to be able to eat.
The pet food industry is unregulated and controlled by very big multinationals.
I see the Senate is now conducting an enquiry with the possibility of legislation.
Long overdue.

What’s the Brand of cat food? We should legislate it being the only brand made available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m liking how other teams are losing around us to solidify our top 4 place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, sometimes click on ignore content, and never see her/him. Maybe because we are winning?

I use a much more radical technique Maggie.
I turn the temperature down a bit.
It’s radicals like you give cooking a bad name

Years ago, a friend told me to place a wooden spoon over a pot when boiling pasta or rice and it wouldn't bubble over.

Yes it works and I wonder why?

My guess ...

... pots are made of a material that has high thermal conductivity (Al, Cu, Sn) and a working pot creates a natural ‘vortex ring’ (google it). This vortex ring creates an efficient air flow that naturally heats up the surface of the water in a regular way. Think of it like a tiny cyclone that is formed in the shape of a ring that is lying flat on the surface of the water. Just like a cyclone, it’s efficient and able to semi-sustain itself and even grow with minimal amount of external energy (heat going into the pot). This forces the water to heat in a very regular way and bubble over. Placing an object of low thermal conductivity and different shape to the pot opening (eg: a wooden spoon) disrupts the air flow of the vortex ring so it collapses and the air moves in lots of different directions in a non-efficient way (Think of a cyclone when it hits landfall)

This is only a guess, I’ve never studied fluid dynamics, Bad Horse might know more about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back