Multiplat Doom: Eternal

Remove this Banner Ad

Bought it yesterday, loving it, real great fun, although it does seem a bit easier than the previous Doom game (bit more generous with the ammo this time around)

Taking the piss? Ammo upgrades for the shotgun goes up in increments of 2 now instead of 20, and the maximum ammo capacity is 22 instead of 60.

Being constantly ammo starved is sapping my fun. It's probably my playstyle, but I'm not sure how to get around it.

Chainsaw often, especially after you kill a heavy demon to replenish ammo.

There will always be fodder enemies that you're meant to use for health/armour/ammo, so what I do is (all on the same enemy): ice bomb (with the health perk) then flame belch to get armour, then chainsaw to get ammo.

How have people found the Marauder so far?

What difficulty did you play on? I'm running ultra-violence currently and having a bloody tough time of it. It's actually getting quite frustrating.

I feel like they may have added too many pieces to the gameplay loop. Balancing health, shields, ammo and abilities is getting a bit tedious instead of just allowing me to enjoy the gunplay.

Agree with the arcadey, cartoonish comment as well...not a huge fan of that vibe.

Still a decent game but so far I would say I definitely preferred the previous one.

Hurt me plenty was hard enough, but I was more interested in the story. I'll try UV next although I've seen gameplay of certain enemies doing huge damage on that difficulty.

Do you think they may patch it to make it a bit easier/less focus on inventory management?

I don't really want to have to be worried about ammo in a game like Doom. Doom 2016 did it almost perfectly, made you use different guns but it wasn't a struggle to get through fights even on the 2nd hardest difficulty setting.

I can't see them patching it - Hugo Martin has said a few times about creating a 'doom dance' by using almost every mechanic available to the player during combat. The dash feature has saved my arse several times in some arenas

Chainsaw often, especially after you kill a heavy demon to replenish ammo.

There will always be fodder enemies that you're meant to use for health/armour/ammo, so what I do is (all on the same enemy): ice bomb (with the health perk) then flame belch to get armour, then chainsaw to get ammo.

How have people found the Marauder so far?

I hardly ever have chainsaw fuel though.

Being constantly ammo starved is sapping my fun. It's probably my playstyle, but I'm not sure how to get around it.

I try not to waste my ammo on the easier monsters and dispatch them at close range, like the Imps, zombies and possessed human soldiers.

It's those bloody Arachnotrons that are causing me all sorts of grief with regards to ammo usage.

Playing a bit more this morning and I'm starting to get the hang of the "Doom dance" a bit more. Only thing that is stuffing up my rhythm are heavies but I imagine they'll get easier with some more upgrades. I'm still missing some of the more arcade aspects of 2016 though, but I'm starting to enjoy this more in its own right.

Playing a bit more this morning and I'm starting to get the hang of the "Doom dance" a bit more. Only thing that is stuffing up my rhythm are heavies but I imagine they'll get easier with some more upgrades. I'm still missing some of the more arcade aspects of 2016 though, but I'm starting to enjoy this more in its own right.

I am enjoying the differences myself, but deep down its still the same beloved Doom that I have been playing since the original came out..
I am dreading running into the Barons of Hell :)

I hardly ever have chainsaw fuel though.

It should be regenerating and enough to take care of the weakest enemies that are just walking around (zombies, imps). Heavies need 3 pips on the fuel meter though.

I try not to waste my ammo on the easier monsters and dispatch them at close range, like the Imps, zombies and possessed human soldiers.

It's those bloody Arachnotrons that are causing me all sorts of grief with regards to ammo usage.

Sticky bomb or precision bolt their turret and they become easier. Same with the mancubus cannons

Enjoying it immensely.

Find that I need to play it in small chunks however because it's ******* intense.

Same. Also I because don't want to finish/clock it too quickly.

Disappointed there isn't a snap map/custom level designer on this game (I never design them myself, just download them, some of the fan created maps /levels on previous Doom games have been brilliant)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoying it immensely.

Find that I need to play it in small chunks however because it's ******* intense.

Picked this up today and I'm the exact same with you. 1 hour tops is enough on Doom. Then load up a slower, more relaxing game until you're ready for more Doom later on..

Finished the first mission. Way too early to judge but yeah it's great, not sure if it'll live up to 2016 Doom though.

I'm enjoying it but not to the same degree as Doom 2016. Not sure why, cannot really put my finger on it.

I got Doom 2016 on GMG for $9 and loaded it up just to see the difference.

Very different, much slower paced.

Can't decide what I like more what this stage.

Anyone playing this on a launch model PS4 (not a pro)? When I played Doom 2016 it was the loudest noises my PS4 ever made. Was wondering if anyone had a similiar issue and/or noticed that with Eternal.

Kind of bored, might end up buying this.

I'm enjoying it but not to the same degree as Doom 2016. Not sure why, cannot really put my finger on it.

Yeah, same. Eternal requires more thought/planning in combat and traversal where as Doom 2016 you could just run in and blast til the sun came up and getting through the levels was much easier.

Just finished it.

What an absolute masterpiece. It is the GOAT FPS experience.

The gameplay is unbelievably good and ridiculously intense at the same time. You just can't make a single mistake otherwise you're punished.

The soundtrack from (Melbourne's own) Mick Gordon is phenomenal, yet again. It perfectly suits the game and gets you absolutely pumped. I've downloaded a few tracks (along with some tracks from the 2016 version) for my gym playlist. It will make you want to put your head through a wall.

It's simply a 10/10 experience. Absolute badarse masterpiece of a game. It should go down in history as one of the GOATS.

I played predominantly on Nightmare difficulty, but had to drop to Hurt me Plenty a few times because some areas were simply too hard.

Picked this up today and I'm the exact same with you. 1 hour tops is enough on Doom. Then load up a slower, more relaxing game until you're ready for more Doom later on..

Finished the first mission. Way too early to judge but yeah it's great, not sure if it'll live up to 2016 Doom though.

I loved 2016 DOOM, but this completely trumps it.

It took me until about level 3 to work out the 'dance.' But once I worked it out (and thanks to the upgrades you get on the way) it became a lot easier.

The three runes I used the whole way through were:

Seek and Destroy - launch into glory kills from much further away
Blood Fueled - gain speed boost after performing glory kills (must have)
Air Control - greatly increase movement control whilst in the air (also a must have)

Those last two coupled with the dash made it much easier to fly around the battlefield.

I found I used the sticky bomb attachment and the lock-on missile attachment the most.

Also if you're not bursting around non-stop then you're going to die, simple.

Last edited:
Easily the best fps I have played. I hated the low ammo amounts in the first few levels but once i had a couple more weapons and learned how to use the chainsaw effectively in the middle of a battle the game just kept getting better and better. I was constantly adding new things into my gameplay to improve. It wasn't until after Mars where i realised i could use the ice and frag grenades immediately after each other, that was a game changer

Using the meat hook to get out of a crowd into a chainsaw kill to replenish your ammo and armour was so satisfying.

Even the marauder fights were amazing, I'm not too sure why all the reviews complain about them.

The only thing i wasnt a huge fan of was tips on how to beat every boss when the encounter first starts, fair enough after a few deaths, but before even attempting it took a bit of the satisfaction away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back