Autopsy Draft analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Opinions?

Not sure about our first, hopefully favourably in time and otherwise pretty solid i think.

Time will tell of course, but be interesting to hear other views.

Last edited:
Simpkin is a great pick. Will be a player.

Of the others I reckon its odds on that none will be on an AFL list come 2021.

Not what I expected.

I fully expected to see some genuine midfield accumulators in there, and I don't think we got any?

But seriously, what the firetruck would I know?

I don't really understand the negativity tbh. We went into the draft with two real needs - outside mids and genuine key backs. Simpkin and Williams both have the scope to develop into run and carry mids, while Watson is a nice user and a good size, and plays both ways as a key back. Another mid would have been nice but a lot of the ones available were inside types.

I think sometimes there is a sub-conscious thinking with rating drafts by how quickly you'll get to see them in the seniors, and we drafted four who we likely won't until 2018 at the earliest.

Ben Brown was also hammered as a terrible later pick.

Turned out to be excellent so far. It's easy to write off before playing.
Fair call on Brown. Have no issues with our last pick, just the 2nd rounders.

Simpkin is a gun. No worries there. At worst will be a 15d 30 goal a year forward. Best case is a Robbie Gray mid/forward.

The two talls are OK I just have a huge problem taking talls when we've taken a half forward 1st up and 4 mids in 4 years for 18 total picks.

I've got the most issue with Williams out of the lot.

Also a big wtf to the QLD scouting the last 2 drafts, there's literally about 5 players from QLD comp wide that are AA quality, especially with NSW going gang busters. Their junior programs just don't stack up apart from the odd 1 or 2 prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not one for panicking, I'll trust the guys that have delivered the likes of McKenzie, Nielson, Durdin, Garner and Larkey.

Garner is a strong talent just can't get on field, McKenzie a dud in a dud draft......
......others as key position players yet to fully expose their talents IMO (hopefully) NN :thumbsu:

Back the club in, but not quite how i wanted it to go.

Had Simpkin in a list of 4 or 5 for pick 11, happy with his selection. Going by his Sen interview we committed to him a few days out. Exciting player, will add something different to the side.

The next 3 players im not really sold on, but they are North players now so Il back em in. Declan Watson is a nice size so could play early on. I think Williams and Larkey are more project players, especially Larkey will need a few years to bulk up before getting close to senior level.

Not completely disappointed, alot comes down to the development now.

Simpkin is a gun. No worries there. At worst will be a 15d 30 goal a year forward. Best case is a Robbie Gray mid/forward.

That gives confidence.

Hope it turns out that way for sure.

We need our first picks to really hit in coming years.

I am stunned, nay dismayed, nay appalled, nay disgusted, that three quarters of North's picks have gone on players that even I - who have spent literally up to an hour and a half reading Bigfooty and newspapers this week - don't recognise the names. When they could had guys I have vaguely heard of! Even guys who have brothers already in the AFL, a guarantee of success if there ever was one!

Yeah I am not peeved, just surprised.

I thought I heard the club was put off by qld players after Hale and Urquhart didn't reach the heights expected of them. Now we've successfully bid on 3 in 2 years, I guess I'm wrong. And Corey Wangwaver certainly showed enough glimpses last year to suggest the recruiting team have somewhat of a clue.

Maybe I just really wanted Clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back