Draft ballot

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 1, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I sit here today waiting for the game tonight against Collingwood and i don't want us to win. The reward for losing should not be greater than the reward for losing. The supporters at Hawthorn and Sydney are probably feeling the same.

I think it's time for the AFL to look at introducing a ballot to decide the draft order for at least the top five picks. This would take away the idea of tanking.

It would work with bottom side picking out the first ball. The bottom side might have 5 balls, second bottom 4 balls etc.

I agree.

The game is f***ed on and off field.

But enough of this chipping at the sides s**t.

Randomise the top 10 draft picks.

Abolish Academies ( or have them be AFL run and abolish the club connection)

Equalise the fixture.

Fix the over officious umpiring.

Create a better rule change mechanism rather than a 'we think this will work' approach. (Remember when 6,6,6 was going to increase scoring? Hahaha it failed).

There are big fundamental issue with the game. And honestly they boil down to it not being a sport but sports entertainment.

It is the WWE.

I wonder why the afl hasn't introduced a lottery yet anyway, they could easily make bank by introducing it and it's really not a complex practise to implement.

The only thing it interferes with is the value of future picks, for example if Melbourne finish 9th and the lottery awards pick 1 to their selection. But that's a small price to pay.

Teams should not be rewarded for being trash

The lottery is important in a sport where you do not have a lot of players, like basketball. 1 or 2 gun new recruits can put you from the bottom to the top pretty quickly. It is a lot harder in a game where you have 22 players.

The reality is we should be a top 8 team, probably a top 6 team. Injuries have completely stuffed our year as has the pandemic. We do not need pick 2 as much as say Hawthorn or Adelaide do... however, a lot of their pain has been self-inflicted so I do not have a lot of sympathy. Swans should be playing better with the talent they have extorted from their academy and all their draft shenanigans they are allowed to get away with.

The Academy system is the biggest blight on the "competition".

I sit here today waiting for the game tonight against Collingwood and i don't want us to win. The reward for losing should not be greater than the reward for losing. The supporters at Hawthorn and Sydney are probably feeling the same.

I think it's time for the AFL to look at introducing a ballot to decide the draft order for at least the top five picks. This would take away the idea of tanking.

It would work with bottom side picking out the first ball. The bottom side might have 5 balls, second bottom 4 balls etc.
Start with the draw

play everyone once then, top 6 play off for top 4, middle 6 play off for last two spots in the 8, bottom 6 play off for draft order.

The reality is we should be a top 8 team, probably a top 6 team. Injuries have completely stuffed our year as has the pandemic. We do not need pick 2 as much as say Hawthorn or Adelaide do...

I whole heartedly agree.

With a massive but, the difference we could make nailing this draft could very well be the difference between continuing to be also ran and elevating beyond that.

I whole heartedly agree.

With a massive but, the difference we could make nailing this draft could very well be the difference between continuing to be also ran and elevating beyond that.

Oh, definitely. Eagles had a rollercoaster period where they went from top 8 to bottom 4 over a number of years, they got priority picks allowing them to get players like Darling and some top end talent when their list was stronger than other teams near the bottom, when fate kicks you in the nuts you need to make the most out of it.

It is why it was such a disappointment we treated our pick 10 as a free hit in the Thomas year, we basically pissed away an opportunity to fast track our rebuild by getting a couple of mature aged players who while are definite improvements on what we had, was a bad list management move that we are regretting now. I don't mind either player, it is just not what our list needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It beggars belief they didn't do it after the Melbourne tanking/not tanking fiasco.
Well if we do what they did we might get some street cred/rock star appeal
Looked after with sponsorships players wanting to go there and I hear Debt free.
Plus there chairmen speaks his mind unlike our one who doesn’t speak

Leaving aside that it would be poor form to bring this in with zero notice (I'd support changes with a few years notice), personally I'd much prefer a rolling draft or a points based draft (ie. everyone gets points and can bid on players - both PSD & Main draft players) as they choose with those points. I see no particular reason sh*t teams should get better players nor good teams get harder draws. Teams should rise and fall on their merits - not based on being s**t and getting a leg up.

This WILL happen as soon as GWS and Sydney are placed 15th and 14th, in either order, and there are 3 absolute standouts in the draft.

So Adelaide, who have never received any draft concessions, in a year that they don’t win a game, could get pick 5?

Nup.
Pick one doesnt always mean an A grade player. We got LDU at 4 and may be the best player from his year.. we know he hasnt come anywhere near his ceiling and based on last game his ceiling is wow wee boy oh boy

im 100% behind bottom 6 play off for draft picks. The difference between18th to 13th is * all.. on their day, 18th can knock off 13th. Adelaide came close to beating a few sides this year, unlucky not to have a couple of wins. Would firstly keep integrity in the comp and make the bottom 6 games somewhat interesting. And the draw would be somewhat parity (see above)

Last edited:
So Adelaide, who have never received any draft concessions, in a year that they don’t win a game, could get pick 5?

Nup.
If they manage to go winless, which is looking increasingly likely, provided Sydney aren't pick 2, don't be surprised if they magically get a priority pick straight after their first. I know people will say "can't happen/ won't happen", but I would put nothin past Gil and his cronies.....plus he's now got the spinner-of-bullshit in an office closer to his now. As if *Bard wants to see us bounce back quickly.

*Wonder if he's still got the NM polo? Doubt it.

If they manage to go winless, which is looking increasingly likely, provided Sydney aren't pick 2, don't be surprised if they magically get a priority pick straight after their first. I know people will say "can't happen/ won't happen", but I would put nothin past Gil and his cronies.....plus he's now got the spinner-of-bullshit in an office closer to his now. As if *Bard wants to see us bounce back quickly.

*Wonder if he's still got the NM polo? Doubt it.
The AFL do own Adelaide, soooo I wouldnt be surprised if they get a priority pick

I want us to win , yet I know finally we have to have a proper rebuild to get the best talent. It's a conundrum I tell ya.
I know if the game is close, whether people want to admit it or not, that most of us will get that nervous twinge and want us to win. It is the competitor in us , and how it should be really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back