Driving a manual

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 27, 2001
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
I hadn't driven a manual for 10 years which was when I had my driving assessment, but I am starting a new job soon where they only have manuals.

Not wanting to make a fool of myself I went and had a lesson today. Didn't go to bad but was taught differently from when I first got my licence.

Firstly the instructor told me to put foot on accelerator to get some revs then bring up and release the clutch, that way I wont stall supposedly. Found this difficult as I was taught to get cluctch to friction point then press down on accelerator. Any thoughts on this?

Secondly was originally taught that you couldn't go from 4 or 5th straight back to 2nd when coming to corners where as today instructor told me I should. Any thoughts on this?

Driving a manual is definitely a pain compared to an automatic but should get used to it again.

I hadn't driven a manual for 10 years which was when I had my driving assessment, but I am starting a new job soon where they only have manuals.

Not wanting to make a fool of myself I went and had a lesson today. Didn't go to bad but was taught differently from when I first got my licence.

Firstly the instructor told me to put foot on accelerator to get some revs then bring up and release the clutch, that way I wont stall supposedly. Found this difficult as I was taught to get cluctch to friction point then press down on accelerator. Any thoughts on this?

Secondly was originally taught that you couldn't go from 4 or 5th straight back to 2nd when coming to corners where as today instructor told me I should. Any thoughts on this?

Driving a manual is definitely a pain compared to an automatic but should get used to it again.
Yes, you can drop down gears from 4th or 5th to 2nd or whatever. Just makes the car rev a bit if you aren't slowing down...

i was taught the way your second instructor told you get a bit of accelarator revving & then let out the clutch & yes can use 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 1st , start in second if on an incline etc etc

Sounds like the female way of doing it. Maybe you could do it this way the first few times in a new car or a clutch you weren't used too, but after that the old school way you used to do it is the correct way. Geez, if I would think if you revved the crap out of it before letting the clutch go you'd get laughed at.

Actually now I think about it I don't do any reving before I drop the clutch, just a smooth one goes in the other goes out.
Depends which car I'm driving, the Barina needs a hearty rev because the clutch is like a switch, my Laser however is a smoother transition.

i was taught the way your second instructor told you get a bit of accelarator revving & then let out the clutch & yes can use 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 1st , start in second if on an incline etc etc

I hope that's a decline ;)

once you get used to letting the clutch out and putting the accelerator down, its really just habit and you will naturally let the clutch out and then put the accelorator down in one smooth action.

Well I had my lessons last year from an intructor I quite like, and he taught me through the "friction point" method. Although, I really stuggled for quite a while so maybe he should have taken another path.

After you take 2-3 trps in a car, you just release the clutch and drive naturally, I find. I didnt think Id ever get it when I first started though

But I will never own a manual again haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can't drive a manual then you should not hold a license.
And why is that? I have a manual license and drive a manual... but just because some people may not have the ability to do something doesn't mean they can't do it an easier way.

And why is that? I have a manual license and drive a manual... but just because some people may not have the ability to do something doesn't mean they can't do it an easier way.

I think that it is symptomatic of the whole issue of road safety and increasing death tolls.

It is FAR too easy to get a license.

Learning to drive a manual increases co-ordination, teaches the new driver multi skilling and gives the driver a better insight into actually "Driving", instead of simply pressing the accelerator and taking off.

There is also the need to use another persons car in an emergency situation.

It should be a requirement from day one of your driving.

Feel free to drive an auto, but have the skill to handle a manual.

Manual is alot more fun...had a auto for a while will not go back now. With auto's you're not driving a car just steering.

I think that it is symptomatic of the whole issue of road safety and increasing death tolls.

Learning to drive a manual increases co-ordination, teaches the new driver multi skilling and gives the driver a better insight into actually "Driving", instead of simply pressing the accelerator and taking off.

I've lived in Canada for a while, and believe me, the system in Australia is leaps and bounds ahead of the system here. My girlfriend went for her test (after never having a professional lesson), drove around the block, parallel parked, continued back to the testing building only to accidentally sit at the traffic lights when she had the right away, and she still passed with flying colours. It literally didn't last five minutes. They also only recently brought in Probationary licenses (only in some provinces though). Also, in some provinces, you can get your learners at 14 and your full at 16.

So, it could be alot worse.

I've lived in Canada for a while, and believe me, the system in Australia is leaps and bounds ahead of the system here. My girlfriend went for her test (after never having a professional lesson), drove around the block, parallel parked, continued back to the testing building only to accidentally sit at the traffic lights when she had the right away, and she still passed with flying colours. It literally didn't last five minutes. They also only recently brought in Probationary licenses (only in some provinces though). Also, in some provinces, you can get your learners at 14 and your full at 16.

So, it could be alot worse.

:eek::eek:

Remind me to hire a tank before I go driving in Canada.

Thats probably one of the worst statements I have read on here.
Any logic behind it?

I can argue that if you have ever had a speeding fine or red light infringement then you should not hold a license. It is a far more rational argument.

Bushie did make an arguement for it on the last post of the previous page and I tend to agree with him.

Originally Posted by bushie

I learnt from the very beginning to drive a manual and they are so much better than autos. I seem to have trouble with autos, I try to change gears in them, however thats impossible without a clutch and a gear box that only moves in one direction.

It does feel fake driving an auto, I just really dont like them and It feels like I have more control of the car in a manual.

Drive whatever you fricken well want to.

Whoever says you should HAVE to hold a manual license is considerably off-track IMO. Technically, should we all have to be able to drive a trucK? Just in case?

Police officers yes. Average civilian, no.

I have a manual, but who cares if people don't?

Drive whatever you fricken well want to.

Whoever says you should HAVE to hold a manual license is considerably off-track IMO. Technically, should we all have to be able to drive a trucK? Just in case?

Police officers yes. Average civilian, no.

I have a manual, but who cares if people don't?

Now, now...settle down petal.

I have never said that, let alone aluded to or inferred it.

Mind you, learning to drive a truck might educate a lot of the idiots out there who seem to think that they have the same stopping distance and turning circle as a family sedan.

I'm just trying to educate the plebs out there who think that just holding an automatic license makes them King of the Road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back