Scandal Ex player Sam Fisher charged with drug trafficking

Remove this Banner Ad

It scares me that people claim heroin could be safe because morphine is 'safe'. Morphine is not 'safe' in terms of addiction and side-effects. We use it out of necessity.

Side effects? The only 'major' side effect of opioids including (and related to) Morphine/Heroin is constipation. Opioids are terribly addictive, however they are extremely safe from a pharmacological perspective; like all drugs, overdose is a concern, but that's about it. And the therapeutic index is rather high which means the likelihood of overdose is actually rather low. The key danger for Heroin isn't the drug itself, but the contaminants and wildly inaccurate dosage that is inherent in the 'street model' of drug distribution.

Wut? Biggest users of heroin are workers within healthcare and the sciences?

No, the biggest users of drugs, not specifically Heroin. Was that a terrible strawman attempt, or is your comprehension really that bad?

Doctors and Dentists? Never really hear them complain or whinge like you hear from professions like Teachers. Most jobs have their ups and downs but I don't fancy Doctors or Dentists have more reason to complain than the assortment of far harder jobs (ie soul destroyingly boring, low paid, dangerous, physically demanding etc).

Apart from dealing with very sick patients or terrible injuries of course which would be very mentally taxing.

You've shown your hand to everyone with the above bolded text; you know not of what you speak. Health care practitioners are subjected to some of the most lengthy and strenuous university courses, revolving around 30+ hours spent at University (not including the piles of work required outside of university), which is often combined with part time work to add up to 50+ hours before assignments, projects, and generally keeping on top of the extremely difficult coursework. This is for the better part of half a decade (longer for many fields), before they then transition from their 50+ hour work/uni balance to 60+ hours a week in high stress roles whereby people's quality of life, or even life itself, is dependent on their own abilities. High pay is secondary to the hours put in by the professional; when you factor in how much debt they've accrued in their extended uni degrees, and their pay based on a 40 hour work week, the compensation is not nearly enough but for the lucky few who happened upon lucrative private industry pathways.

Compare this to a teacher who waltzes into a 3 year degree with sweet f**k all contact hours at uni, off the back of a despicable ATAR, and cruises through to graduation.

I think I know what I'd pick if I wanted an easy run.

No, the biggest users of drugs, not specifically Heroin. Was that a terrible strawman attempt, or is your comprehension really that bad?

You've shown your hand to everyone with the above bolded text; you know not of what you speak. Health care practitioners are subjected to some of the most lengthy and strenuous university courses, revolving around 30+ hours spent at University (not including the piles of work required outside of university), which is often combined with part time work to add up to 50+ hours before assignments, projects, and generally keeping on top of the extremely difficult coursework. This is for the better part of half a decade (longer for many fields), before they then transition from their 50+ hour work/uni balance to 60+ hours a week in high stress roles whereby people's quality of life, or even life itself, is dependent on their own abilities. High pay is secondary to the hours put in by the professional; when you factor in how much debt they've accrued in their extended uni degrees, and their pay based on a 40 hour work week, the compensation is not nearly enough but for the lucky few who happened upon lucrative private industry pathways.

Compare this to a teacher who waltzes into a 3 year degree with sweet f**k all contact hours at uni, off the back of a despicable ATAR, and cruises through to graduation.

I think I know what I'd pick if I wanted an easy run.

Are you really complaining? I'll tell you what I do know. I'm pretty sure anyone studying Medicine knows before they enter the course how hard it is and the hours required. If they don't want high pay and the associated high hours which by the way isn't uncommon for career orientated people with degrees then they could choose a different career path and trade the BMW in for a Toyota Corolla.

Why don't you "stumble" into private industry?

Ok, sounds like a fair bit of knowledge here. I'm a hardcore nicotine addict, what's the best method to quit?
I used the gum. I preferred it to other replacements because it gives you something to do - unwrap gum, wad it in your gob, chew etc. so it kind of gave both nicotine plus a replacement ritual. I also used the QuitBuddy app. Haven't had a cigarette in 287 days, 9 hours and 51 minutes.

Thanks for replies everyone. The dog s**t one sounds interesting! I'll try the gum when I'm fully committed. I hear the gum can be addictive too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for replies everyone. The dog s**t one sounds interesting! I'll try the gum when I'm fully committed. I hear the gum can be addictive too?
It sort of is - but less problematic then smoking obviously. After a few months I slowly started switching the gum for sugar free mints or whatever.

+1 for Champix. After ~14 cracks at quitting using various methods, it's the only thing that got me there. For me the side effects were so bad that they've ended up being a deterrence for relapse.

Nicotine itself isn't actually that bad for you as far as drugs of addiction go; the main issue is that the primary delivery method is carcinogenic. If you move from combusting your drug intake to absorbing through saliva you'll be far healthier.

Nicotine itself isn't actually that bad for you as far as drugs of addiction go; the main issue is that the primary delivery method is carcinogenic. If you move from combusting your drug intake to absorbing through saliva you'll be far healthier.
The thing that shits me about it though is it doesn't even do anything for you except temporarily satiate the receptors that scream out for it. At least alcohol gets you drunk and weed gets you stoned.

Talk to your Doctor about Champix. Worked for me and I gave up 6 years ago.

I was on Champix about that time too, bluddy near killed me. Blood pressure went through the roof and I was in hospital for a week. Apparently death is one of the side effects. Stopped me smoking though, doc said that if I lit up another smoke he would give me Champix again. That was enough to get my attention.

I was on Champix about that time too, bluddy near killed me. Blood pressure went through the roof and I was in hospital for a week. Apparently death is one of the side effects. Stopped me smoking though, doc said that if I lit up another smoke he would give me Champix again. That was enough to get my attention.
Certainly has some weird side effects. From what I am told it effects different people in different ways.

Mine was weird dreams.

Got to the stage where I couldn't finish the course of tablets, but got to where I felt that I had quit the habit for good and as said in an earlier post haven't had a smoke for just over 6 years.

Tie your hands behind your back for two weeks.
I watch smokers and it seems to be s hand to mouth habit. A mate of mine tried the patches and while on the spent all the time putting a pen to his mouth.

It likely sounds stupid - but yes, hand to mouth was probably the hardest thing to stop when I quit. Also helps explain why people put on weight when quitting.

I split up my smoker ex-wife, she chucked me out & I moved back in with my mum & severely asthmatic dad in Ireland. Smoking outside in the garden in the middle of winter, I think I had one or two and that was it.

An extreme measure but it worked. That must have been my 10th attempt so don't give up giving up!

The LD 50 for pure Nicotine places it in the arsenic/cyanide range.

The thing with smoking is that it only releases very tiny amounts of the drug.

Ingestion would be fraught with dangers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back