Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the burden of proof should be reversed. That is, any substance introduced intravenously will be assumed to be illegal unless you can prove otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^so much this.
No proof,
Shredded evidence,
60k invoiced for what injections???.
GUILTY. Maximim penalty.

I agree with Percy too.
Start the bombers home game boycott discussion and make a stance. God I hope the Hawks take the lead on this. Others would follow and very quickly this disgusting landscape would have to change.
Many opposition supporters are just as p1ssed about this as some of us and are talking similar regarding boycotting.

Go Saints.

Go away Injectors!

Seriously I hope Hal Hunter follows through on this because if he does the truth will come out and then everyone will know the whole picture rather than the select bits that are currently available.

I'm perfectly happy if it shows Essendon were not at fault but at the moment - no one can honestly make that call and as a result the competition suffers.

"Former Essendon rookie-listed player Hal Hunter will intensify his bid to get to the bottom of the supplements saga by lodging a statement of claim with Essendon and the AFL.

The AFL and the Bombers were expected to receive the claim on Wednesday or Thursday.

Hunter's lawyer Jim Constantinou – partner of Melbourne-based firm Schetzer Constantinou – wants "any documents between the Essendon Football Club and Mr Stephen Dank or any entity related to Mr Stephen Dank concerning the administering of AOD-9604 to employees of the Essendon Football Club" and "any documents between the Essendon Football Club and Mr Stephen Dank or any entity related to Mr Stephen Dank concerning the administering of thymosin beta-4 to employees of the Essendon Football Club".

Lawyers also want any medical records – including the results of blood tests – Hunter had and a copy of James Hird's interview with the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority and the AFL on April 16, 2013.

"This program exposed players, including the plaintiff, to significant risks to their health, safety and general wellbeing, as well as the risk of using prohibited substances," Constantinou's affidavit says.

Worst thing that could happen - but unfortunately the most obvious result - will be Essendon settle out of court with a confidentiality clause.

Seriously I can't believe the players have accepted there treatment by their employer.

The people saying 'it's good for the game and now we can get on with the season' just don't get sport. This is abysmal for the actual game.
Is it really abysmal for the actual game? Take away the fact that this has nothing to do with the laws of the game itself, but Essendon are now likely to be reamed by WorkCover. The club isn't out of the woods.
I think the burden of proof should be reversed. That is, any substance introduced intravenously will be assumed to be illegal unless you can prove otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, but nothing can be done about that regarding the Essendon investigation, not now.

It's destroyed my enthusiasm for football completely. Two day ago I was hanging out for sunday's game. Now I don't have the stomach for it. I hope the Saints go well but I don't really care any more. I'm seriously disenfranchised by the whole sport. Nothing about it looks like it's been sorted. The over all message from the AFL, ASADA, Essendon etc is that yeah they cheated but because they couldn't prove the players knew there is nothing to be done about it so lets start the season and get on with it. No thanks, you can all f$# off. Soccer is starting to look more attractive all of a sudden or VFL.
So i guess your never going to touch a drink again because some people abuse it an become alcoholics.
And youll never trust a TV personality again because the bloke from Hey Dad was an absolute scumbag??
You cant let a passion for a sport die off because of a few dickheads who think they are above the law.. Over the 100 plus yrs of the AFL there has been thousands of good people involved
Stay strong gringo:thumbsu::thumbsu:
dont let those filthy cheating Bombers get ya down mate.
The Saints need you:)

I'd do the opposite, boycotting Essendon games does little (especially for members who have access to all Victorian games), and it would make the Dons feel more 'at home'. I hope Hawks fans turn out in thousands in a fortnight, then boo the Dons for all 4 quarters (especially loud for every time Hird appears on screen). If it's all Dons fans at the game they'll churn out some bullshit about their fans' support.

Is it really abysmal for the actual game? Take away the fact that this has nothing to do with the laws of the game itself, but Essendon are now likely to be reamed by WorkCover. The club isn't out of the woods.

I agree, but nothing can be done about that regarding the Essendon investigation, not now.

Rahul, surely you are joking? Of course its abysmal for the game. Essendon's drug program, destroying evidence, obstructing investigations and dominating media attention for 2 years has been a direct attack on the integrity of the game. Supporters accept teams performance, skills errors, losses etc with the understanding that all teams are competing on an equal footing.

Cheating whether it be via salary payments, draft tampering or drug programs all should be dealt with in the harshest terms. Essendon should be pursued by ASADA, WADA, Worth Cover and civil suits by players. The enormity of drugging players, with a cocktail of unapproved and unknown drugs defies belief. All people who believe in fairness and justice will not and cannot accept the free pass that Essendon have currently been given.

So i guess your never going to touch a drink again because some people abuse it an become alcoholics.
And youll never trust a TV personality again because the bloke from Hey Dad was an absolute scumbag??
You cant let a passion for a sport die off because of a few dickheads who think they are above the law.. Over the 100 plus yrs of the AFL there has been thousands of good people involved

I might come around. I seriously feel let down by the AFL though. I can't help feeling like it was a sham trial put on at time to cause maximum distraction. They wanted that outcome and got it and they also paid for the show trial. I am never going to another Bombers game though.

It feels like your partner has cheated on you and just wants everything to go back to normal and while I can play happy I can see through the bullshit now. They have irreparably damaged their reputation and they are out the day after tarting around again telling everyone how great that huge stud Essendon is.

In a way I'm glad for the players - they were the unfortunate victims from what I can see, BUT, this whole thing has left me with a massive sick taste in my mouth. That Essendon could possibly get away with this only because the damning evidence was clearly disposed of is an absolute joke and just shows what a farce this whole situation, and the AFL's integrity unit is. Not to mention the celebrations from the glorified flogs that are the Essendon supporters. I absolutely love this game but I'm really starting to lose faith in it, and it is definitely the least excited I've been for the start of the footy season that I can remember.

God I hope ASADA/WADA appeal and put them all back in their boxes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rahul, surely you are joking? Of course its abysmal for the game. Essendon's drug program, destroying evidence, obstructing investigations and dominating media attention for 2 years has been a direct attack on the integrity of the game. Supporters accept teams performance, skills errors, losses etc with the understanding that all teams are competing on an equal footing.

Cheating whether it be via salary payments, draft tampering or drug programs all should be dealt with in the harshest terms. Essendon should be pursued by ASADA, WADA, Worth Cover and civil suits by players. The enormity of drugging players, with a cocktail of unapproved and unknown drugs defies belief. All people who believe in fairness and justice will not and cannot accept the free pass that Essendon have currently been given.
Sorry SS, I should have made a link to the Twitter account I was jokingly referring to - 'AFL is not the sport' (https://twitter.com/AFLisnotasport). The game as it is has not changed, just that the governing body might be as broken as ever.

In a way I'm glad for the players - they were the unfortunate victims from what I can see, BUT, this whole thing has left me with a massive sick taste in my mouth. That Essendon could possibly get away with this only because the damning evidence was clearly disposed of is an absolute joke and just shows what a farce this whole situation, and the AFL's integrity unit is. Not to mention the celebrations from the glorified flogs that are the Essendon supporters. I absolutely love this game but I'm really starting to lose faith in it, and it is definitely the least excited I've been for the start of the footy season that I can remember.

God I hope ASADA/WADA appeal and put them all back in their boxes.

Not a scrap of sympathy for players at all. They jumped in the car and went joy riding with Hird driving and Danks navigating. They couldn't see the speedo, but were fairly sure that they were way, way outside the legal speed limit, but loved the thrill of the ride. When it came to a sudden stop, they can't say they were not involved, or party to this. The loved the feeling of being outside the law, gaining an advantage and the thrill that this brought them.

It seems that their only regret is that they were caught and brought to judgement, even with the flawed process and result that we have had.

I'll be more specific about what I mean. By 'game' I mean the sport of Australian Football not the Australian Football League. This result is the best one for the AFL, their competition now doesn't have to suffer one of its most profitable teams stinking it up for 2 years and losing sponsors/members/attendances/ratings.

However, when you decide that the integrity of the sport is less important than the $$ you cease running a pure sporting competition and start running a sports based entertainment show i.e. WWE. Make no mistake, letting a team get away with systematic doping because the whole team does it is very, very bad.

The best thing for the game (not the AFL's bottom line however) is WADA appeal to CAS, the players get suspended, any other players (Collingwood etc) are suspended and the AFL suffers for a couple of years but comes out on the other side CLEAN.

Kind of like the AFL needs an integrity 'rebuild'.

Last edited:
See, that's a bit different - if you have one isolated mistake in a system, you don't blame the whole system (that's pretty much your point here). I don't give up on the system of television, because of one bad egg. The problem with this scenario is that it is NO LONGER just about ONE bad egg - the system itself has been found to be as rotten as the egg itself. It's not just Essendon - if it was just them, I'd be able to handle that. It's that the AFL was given the responsibility of dealing with said bad egg, and they chose to justify it. The AFL system itself is now seen to be rotten, stinking rotten. Hence the push away from it by an increasing number of people.

I'll be more specific about what I mean. By 'game' I mean the sport of Australian Football not the Australian Football League. This result is the best one for the AFL, their competition now doesn't have to suffer one of it's most profitable teams stinking it up for 2 years and losing sponsors/members/attendances/ratings.

However, when you decide that the integrity of the sport is less important than the $$ you cease running a pure sporting competition and start running a sports based entertainment show i.e. WWE. Make no mistake, letting a team get away with systematic doping because the whole team does it is very, very bad.

The best thing for the game (not the AFL's bottom line however) is WADA appeal to CAS, the players get suspended, any other players (Collingwood etc) are suspended and the AFL suffers for a couple of years but comes out on the other side CLEAN.

Kind of like the AFL needs an integrity 'rebuild'.
In my area, they talk about purgation. While a deeply unpopular and unpleasant process, a good old purge now and then - a burning away of the dross and muck - can be a really important process for any organisation to go through. Especially when the muck becomes corruption.

The AFL needs to be purged.

Agree with you on these comments SS .

Don't really understand that not objecting to AFL that clubs like Stkilda & Western Bulldogs who have been
screwed by the now ( weren't always rich they are now )powerful clubs is important.
Stadium deals , scheduling of games , catering , the list goes on and on .

Enough is enough supporters need to boycott their games and make it very very clear why they are not
attending games.

Last edited:
I might come around. I seriously feel let down by the AFL though. I can't help feeling like it was a sham trial put on at time to cause maximum distraction. They wanted that outcome and got it and they also paid for the show trial. I am never going to another Bombers game though.

It feels like your partner has cheated on you and just wants everything to go back to normal and while I can play happy I can see through the bullshit now. They have irreparably damaged their reputation and they are out the day after tarting around again telling everyone how great that huge stud Essendon is.
Try having your partner and your partners brothers going for them :S

Try having your partner and your partners brothers going for them :S
30%20blogs%20to%20help%20you%20get%20through%20a%20divorce.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back