Dullest match you've ever watched

Remove this Banner Ad

I still reckon one of the greatest, most enjoyable games I saw was at Waverley in the 90s. Richmond-Hawthorn. Absolutely persisted down all day - got completely soaked. No one could kick the ball more than 30 mtrs. Overhead marking impossible.

Richmond only kicked 4 goals - and won.

Of course, if you were a Hawks supporter, it was probably one of the worst days. But it was close and exciting.
I was at that game. Pretty sure it was an Easter Sunday. My mother cracked it because I left a family function to see the match with a mate. Hawthorn kicked 5 goals to Richmond's 4 and lost.

On TV - probably the Good Friday match this year. Waiting around on a dull day for footy to start and then both teams served up absolute rubbish in the 1st half. St Kilda were atrocious and let’s hope they put on better teams next year.

Live - Essendon v Melbourne at the G 2014. Sunday 4:40 game (which contributed to the dullness). The only game I’ve ever left at 3QT where we were in front and we just looked like losing it. We lost by 1 pt. Was disgusting.

05 and 06 Grand Finals, i can't split them...

I agree with you on 2005 but 2006 was a good game, West Coast got the jump on the Swans early and in the 2nd half the Swans had to abandon their ultra defensive game plan to get back into it.

2005 was very crappy - a close finish masks the fact that the standard of footy was s**t.

Have seen 2013 GF mentioned in this thread and I can understand why but I didn’t mind it, Hawks played some decent footy in it. Was a tight contest but nowhere near as bad as 2005 for tedium.

As a Dogs fan sadly there’s been quite a few dull games over the years but I recall one in 2012 against Melbourne, we had just begun rebuilding and Melbourne were in the midst of their most awful era.

The game was so bad that supporters around me from both sides were simply laughing at their own team’s skill errors and ineptitude.

A game I remember going to as a neutral which was utterly deplorable was Richmond vs Essendon in 2002 or 2003 (can’t quite remember) and it was Matty Knights’ last game for the Tigers.

Essendon won and it was close but it was an atrocious game.

Essendon v Fremantle. Not sure the exact game but it might have been this one. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/050820020825.html

The finals-bound Essendon were playing a very mediocre Freo side. The Bombers got the jump early.....and then just coasted along in second gear for the rest of the match. The margin stayed at 3-4 goals until the end; Essendon seemed to have no interest in putting the foot down for an entertaining thumping, and Freo weren't good enough to seriously challenge for the win.

As a neutral, the Hawks vs Saints in 2007 I think it was... first time I've ever fallen asleep watching a game.
That match was so unusual though that it was strangely hypnotic. I had never seen a match like that before.

Hawthorn had a similar borefest in 2007, so they were a bit of a common denominator. Interesting that both coaches went on to be greats in coming years through the likes of the Clarkson Cluster and the Lyon Cage. I loved the Saints in 2009-10, there was something very unique about watching them.

Same goes for the infamous Swans-Saints 2002 game that ended a draw. Diabolical, but I couldn't look away.

For mine, the first three quarters of the 2005 SF between Geelong and Sydney was manure. Nick Davis didn't just save the Swans, he saved the game, so bemusing when people bring it up as one of the great games.

There were some awful Swans-Crows games in the late 00s/early 10s. Crows would typically win, football very dour and unappealing.

St Kilda vs Kangaroos round 2 this year.

A friend was visiting from the UK and I took him to this game, it wasn't exactly the best way to get a new convert to love the game.

I was at this game with family from qld and can safely say it is the worst game i have ever seen live. The first half was putrid. North played okay in the second, we remained just as bad as the first

On TV - probably the Good Friday match this year. Waiting around on a dull day for footy to start and then both teams served up absolute rubbish in the 1st half. St Kilda were atrocious and let’s hope they put on better teams next year.

Live - Essendon v Melbourne at the G 2014. Sunday 4:40 game (which contributed to the dullness). The only game I’ve ever left at 3QT where we were in front and we just looked like losing it. We lost by 1 pt. Was disgusting.

I remember the game well. My dees supporting bro dragged my hungover arse to it & I could see the loss coming a mile away even when we led by 5+ goals. 3 hrs of my life i won’t get back.

Ess v Melb (1st half) Etihad Rd 6 2017.

Joe Daniher kicked 0.6 & both sides spent the half kicking the ball down each others throats. Was genuine Benny hill s**t & had both club supporters laughing with each other.

That melb kicked clear in the 2nd half was inconsequential, as everyone’s brains were numbed from the 1st half s**t show.

*errily the corresponding game this year wasn’t dissimilar.

Port Adelaide v Richmond 1999.
We got there.
It rained.
Port kicked a couple of goals.
It rained some more.
Richmond had 1 goal at 3QT, kicked a couple in the last and almost won.
We left.
It rained.

They are the HIGHLIGHTS.

There's a YouTube video of this somewhere. If you watch it, just remember you can gouge out your eyes, but you can't gouge out your mind's eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's about five games since the last Freo nomination and so I feel obligated to add another.

Round 3, 2012. Fremantle vs Brisbane at Subiaco.
Lyon's third game at Fremantle.

Sunny Saturday afternoon, perfect for football in front of more than 33k fans..... and both teams seemed absolutely terrified of what might happen if anyone was dumb enough to actually kick the ball towards the goal posts.

Freo won 8.16 (65) to 5.5 (35) but that's shockingly sugar coated by a not-quite-watchable second half.

Brisbane had 20 inside 50s for the whole day and at half time it was 4.7 (31) to 3.2 (20) and I was begging my mates to head back to the pub, maybe see if we could convince the bar staff to put some badminton or Nascar on the big screen for a few hours.

Pies vs Dees QB a few years ago that ended up 61 to 28 was pretty s**t, what else ya got

Especially after Jones scored about 10 seconds into the match and then we only got another two for the entire game.

And to think I had people around to watch that game, some of whom were watching footy for the first time.

Whenever I introduce someone to the great sport of Aussie rules live, I try to take them to a game that looks like a good match up. Always want to leave a good impression! But i think I'm digressing a bit...on TV, way too many...live...hmmm. Would a game that's also highly frustrating that arouses extreme negative feelings fit under the category of 'dull?' Lol

As someone who has lived overseas the past 6 years I can definitely relate to that.

The first game my girlfriend ever watched was Melbourne vs Geelong round 1 this year. Heart-breaking defeat, but no doubt what got her interested!

2016 Richmond vs. St Kilda round 16

This one was horrible, even though it was close, nobody gave a s**t. Crowd players, nobody:

http://m.afl.com.au/match-centre/2016/22/rich-v-stk
Was R22 and by that stage we’d lost all interest in playing football. The final score line doesn’t actually do it full justice, we had a late flurry of scoring, with two goals in the last couple of minutes from memory. I still don’t know how I managed to watch all of it.

I can't remember who was playing one particular day at the MCG, but in the last quarter the 3AW commentary team was so bored with what was happening on the field, that they started talking about ANYTHING but football. Rex Hunt decides to talk about his wife's cooking.

"She says to me, 'Can you put the rubbish out?' I said, 'You put it out - you cooked it.'"

I doubt Rex got sex that night :).

I was at that game. Pretty sure it was an Easter Sunday. My mother cracked it because I left a family function to see the match with a mate. Hawthorn kicked 5 goals to Richmond's 4 and lost.

It didn't just rain - it was like a monsoon with all of the crowd huddled under the top of the stands. We went with my cousin from Perth who assumed that was what we went through every week to watch a game. And it definitely was Easter Sunday as I brought along a stash of Easter eggs and ended up leaving them at the ground.

Horrible day out at the footy.

As someone who has lived overseas the past 6 years I can definitely relate to that.

The first game my girlfriend ever watched was Melbourne vs Geelong round 1 this year. Heart-breaking defeat, but no doubt what got her interested!

Yep! I took a girl I was dating to watch the Queen's Birthday match actually. First live game she'd seen.

I think there is a long list of AFL games but I was taken by the deft spray of a Newcastle based Rugby League expert commentator who in his summing up said that "on a dreadful day the Knights had beat the Sharks 4 to nil and the Sharks were lucky to get to Nil!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back