News Dylan Grimes and Toby Nankervis announced as captains for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Who holds the cup then
Like the Swans in 2005 they pick 1 of the captains to be the Grand Final captain and they hold the cup up - Swans pick Barry Hall when Leo Barry and Brett Kirk were also captains.

1644880302646.jpeg

Same in 2012 - McVeigh and Goodes co captains - McVeigh was Grand Final captain.

those are great - who released and where? never seen them before

I have the original Argyle "big head"card set I assume these were loosely based on...
Yeah that are great
I’m not too sure on details tho, my mate just sent me this yesterday
I’ll ask him where he got it

Nank is not even our number 1 ruckman once Soldo is fully fit.

Gonna be awkward if he gets dropped if want to go more mobile or are we going the shaft Soldo to save face?
If both fit they both play imo they complement each other well and historically the games where we have had both of them in the side we have looked fantastic in the ruck and both are versatile enough to slot back or forward when needed throughout the game

Don’t think it’s really the issue you think it is

If both fit they both play imo they complement each other well and historically the games where we have had both of them in the side we have looked fantastic in the ruck and both are versatile enough to slot back or forward when needed throughout the game

Don’t think it’s really the issue you think it is
They rotate well in games and nank will be an asset as an extra man in the backline because he has a great pair of hands and has taken lots of intercept marks their in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thet rotate well in games and nank will be an asset as an extra man in the backline because he has a great pair of hands and has taken lots of intercept marks their in the past.
Having both in the side could also help us with those long kicks down the wing after a throw in or ball up

Last year it was extremely frustrating winning a clearance in our d50 and having our rushed kick turned over due to a mismatch on the wing height wise

Just the luxury of being able to have on of them sit on the wing in case of that quick kick who are both decent contested marks and not needing to have either Jack or Lynch push up in these situations leaving our forward line short creating those double team situations we saw so much last season

But is a captain’s duties on a ship or a plane the same as their duties at a football club?

I get the strangeness of having co-senior coaches because the senior coach ultimately decides the framework of how a club plays. It can get messy if multiple people are in a position to have the final say.

At the moment though, I don’t see that having 2 captains on an AFL football field as a concept is all that bad. A football captain leads the implementation of the club’s gamestyle and that doesn’t necessarily need a single focal point (unlike the role of a senior coach). A club may only want one if that’s what works for their playing group, but our club decided to go the co-captaincy route. I’m OK with that as long as the two captains work well together and the playing group can get behind the idea.
The theory behind it is that when s**t hits the fan and all hell breaks loose there is one leader and one voice to rally behind. If there is more than 1 voice/doctrine then it can get confusing.

“I think my personal role, how I see it at the moment is to support the coach's message as best as I can and bring the voice of the playing group back to him,” Grimes continued.

“We’re so blessed with the coaches we have, that's evident to me that my number one role really is to provide challenge and support at the right time, to players and coaches.

“I think leadership has changed a lot for us, really over Trent’s tenure, I must admit before that it was what you imagine old school footy captains to be like, driving standards, that kind of autocratic style and then you’ve got guys like Trent, who were about vulnerability and acceptance and empathy and things like that, which were words that were rarely mentioned around a footy club.

“I think there’s definitely a range of skills at different times, I’m just going to try and bring my best to each moment and see how things pan out.”

Whilst Dylan Grimes was always seen as a potential suitor for the role, Nankervis seemed an unusual choice to the majority of football fans.

Strangely, even Nankervis himself claimed that the appointment came as somewhat of a surprise.

Reassuring fans, he went on to declare that "there's no reason for me not to think I can do the job and I'm really excited to attack it and just give it everything I've got."

Ominous...;)

A Clydesdale with a mean streak for me.

You know Clydesdales are the decedents of the middle ages war horses, bred to carry armoured knights around and be weapons themselves. So an angry Clydesdale works for me re Nank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back