News Eddie McGuire steps down as Collingwood President

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone Critical

Mar 11, 2007
Abbotsford
AFL Club
Collingwood
I completely disagree with your generalisation that people tend toward conservatism as they age. People of my generation are growing more progressive as they’ve lived through the rise of social media and begin to better understand the impacts of climate change.

Boomers were living through a post war expansion era whereas millennials are living through a post globalisation social media expansion era. IMO, that will throw up far more progressive views as people age.

As with all generations and walks of life there are non conformists which breeds a hardcore on either the left or right. Whether you’re with Antifa or the proud boys that’s the extreme and thankfully the silent minority.

I’m going to take my leave of the discussion though because my agist views mean I won’t be giving ground on the wrongs of the boomer generation and I don’t think that’s a positive the the thread.
Yep it doesn't sound like we will get anywhere. Still in reply to above the boomers with civil rights, flower power, communal living etc etc had really strong aims to change the world and a lot did change. Hugely progressive views at that time and believed they would stay the course. Was probably too utopian.

Not sure social media expansion will save the millenials, if they need saving. I know a lot of millenials and the range of views aint that different to what I grew up with.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seemed to be playing a different role across both seasons and adjusting to a new team so not unexpected that his possession numbers would be down. People are just looking for reasons to justify the vitriol.
People often think that every investment that fails was a terrible investment. But if you get ten to one on a horse that will win half the time, it's a great bet - even if it loses.

I do think Beams was a poor investment due to the price we paid and odds of us winning or losing. Him having mental health issues should have lowered the price as it increased the risk, as should have his age, but him having mental health issues shouldn't have stopped anyone investing in Dayne Beams - he was an AFL star with those issues. So I agree with those who are critical of the trade due to the price, but think that those who say we shouldn't have looked at him at all due to his mental health issues are way off the mark, as well as it being an unethical view.

Last edited:

Gone Critical

Mar 11, 2007
Abbotsford
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was born in 1960 so I'm either of the last year of the boomer cohort or just missed it depending on which definition you ascribe to. I've always identified as a boomer in discussions such as this. I think the boomer cohort is the most eclectic of the lot, comprising people born into the hardship of postwar life up to and including people like myself. That to me means it's incredibly difficult to get consistency in those generalisations.

I'm a lefty, but I'm also becoming more conservative as I age. I have my parents predilection to work hard and accumulate wealth. I certainly don't consider myself racist although growing up in a Vic/NSW border town in the 70's I was a very different person exposed to very different attitudes than is the norm now. I acknowledge my sins of those times in terms of use of language. There was never any malice in it, it was just the accepted norm.
Same year as me. Agree never quite sure if we are or aren't boomers. On the edge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BringouttheGimp

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
If anyone knows the story of Icarus.. the fu**en waxed wings and fu**en sh*t like that re.. flying fu**en way too close to the sun.. that's Ed right there mate.. got involved in way too much sh*t.. rather than fly under the radar or at a nice steady altitude and that re.. got way too greedy.. and fell flat on his ass..

What powerhouse? What.. with all the caps.. what are we in the EPL? We were never going to end up like a Fitzroy or a Nth Melbourne.. there was always going to be someone that was going to step in and do a reasonable job.. someone with better business acumen.. someone that understands that it's not necessarily a wonderful thing to involve yourself in an infinite number of causes.. just so that Collingwood can boast about being at the forefront of this and that.. take it eeeeasyyy re..

You want an award winning dinner plate that resembles the Gimp's mate.. not something like the srs with nothing in it.. or overdone like the ss's. Good quality ingredients.. with subtle touches of brilliance. Get involved in the community and other sports.. that's fine.. but seriously.. let's not run off a list that extends from here to Timbuktu mate. That's it mate.

Last edited:

neilk

Premium Platinum
Sep 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If anyone knows the story of Icarus.. the fu**en waxed wings and fu**en sh*t like that re.. flying fu**en way too close to the sun.. that's Ed right there mate.. got involved in way too much sh*t.. rather than fly under the radar or at a nice steady altitude and that re.. got way too greedy.. and fell flat on his ass..

What powerhouse? What.. with all the caps.. what are we in the EPL? We were never going to end up like a Fitzroy or a Nth Melbourne.. there was always going to be someone that was going to step in and do a reasonable job.. someone with better business acumen.. someone that understands that it's not necessarily a wonderful thing to involve yourself in an infinite number of causes.. just so that Collingwood can boast about being at the forefront of this and that.. take it eeeeasyyy re..

You want an award winning dinner plate that resembles the Gimp's mate.. not something like the srs with nothing in it.. or overdone like the ss's. Good quality ingredients.. with subtle touches of brilliance. Get involved in the community and other sports.. that's fine.. but seriously.. let's not run off a list that extends from here to Timbuktu mate. That's it mate.
1613701117134.png

Pie eyed

Premium Platinum
Jun 26, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Magpies
I completely disagree with your generalisation that people tend toward conservatism as they age. People of my generation are growing more progressive as they’ve lived through the rise of social media and begin to better understand the impacts of climate change.

Boomers were living through a post war expansion era whereas millennials are living through a post globalisation social media expansion era. IMO, that will throw up far more progressive views as people age.

As with all generations and walks of life there are non conformists which breeds a hardcore on either the left or right. Whether you’re with Antifa or the proud boys that’s the extreme and thankfully the silent minority.

I’m going to take my leave of the discussion though because my agist views mean I won’t be giving ground on the wrongs of the boomer generation and I don’t think that’s a positive the the thread.
I agree with your opinion. The like was not because you were leaving the discussion.
The whole boomer tag is diversionary rubbish, just like Scomo's "Canberra Bubble". The one he runs, full of Liberal party rapists? WINK

Remove this Banner Ad