EDFL Div 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word around is that Diggers Rest May be looking to switch over to the EDFL next season also

Are the floodgates now open? Some of these clubs are important to the RDFL, losing them places some doubt on the viability and attractiveness of the RDFL. Who’s next?
Does this now mean the EDFL incorporate a 4 div. I hope the EDFL have some sort of strategy ahead because they have two clubs in DIV 3 who are struggling and strong clubs in the RDFL apparently circling to enter. Is it a case of, yeah Diggers Rest is just about the boundary and sorry Romsey, Lanacefield, Rockbank, Riddell you guys miss out...where does this end as it appears there are no boandaries. Is it a case of let’s bring in some strong clubs and those that can’t survive, won’t. Ofcourse nobody will admit this, but is this what may be happening? Then again, these may just be rumours.

Rumours are always circulating about clubs that apparently want into the EDFL. Last year there were talks of Spotswood, Deer Park and Yarraville from the WRFL, the RDFL clubs are always rumoured to be looking to switch over. Sometimes I wonder if these rumours are started from AFL Vic, in an attempt to get the discussions going, for an eventual outcome of competitions with a much larger boundary, so that they can cost cut in areas of management. A lot of businesses would do the same, so it isnt that far fetched, and we are already seeing many amalgamations of Leagues. With that in mind, I'm not sure that I have ever seen a "Rule" as such in the by-laws that categorically states new teams must enter through the bottom division? Happy for someone to dredge that up. Surely if some of the higher fliers from the RDFL were to come in, they would be entering into at least Div 1? Rockbank, Lancefield, yeah sure, Div 2, but Diggers or Rupertswood (who are also on the tongues of rumour-mongers) would find the going well too easy for them in Div 2.

It was a great effort by Jacana to field 2 sides on Saturday. And they continued to try all game against the odds and played the game in great spirits.

They had the bbq going and put on a good night. Yes it’s going to be a battle each week.
The Jacana coach really spoke well at the break and all players were engaged which shows respect. It was all positive and they should be congratulated.

PS: The 1st quarter was played using a red footy.. 😎😎
I agree with you Turbo I hope they can survive and thrive in the future as I hate seeing any club go under

Sure if a team like Diggers or Rupo came to the EDFL and said we'll come over only if we start in Div 1, the EDFL would accept - Anything for the extra $$

Probably the same reason Thirds teams are still been introduced 6 games into the season

Rumours are always circulating about clubs that apparently want into the EDFL. Last year there were talks of Spotswood, Deer Park and Yarraville from the WRFL, the RDFL clubs are always rumoured to be looking to switch over. Sometimes I wonder if these rumours are started from AFL Vic, in an attempt to get the discussions going, for an eventual outcome of competitions with a much larger boundary, so that they can cost cut in areas of management. A lot of businesses would do the same, so it isnt that far fetched, and we are already seeing many amalgamations of Leagues. With that in mind, I'm not sure that I have ever seen a "Rule" as such in the by-laws that categorically states new teams must enter through the bottom division? Happy for someone to dredge that up. Surely if some of the higher fliers from the RDFL were to come in, they would be entering into at least Div 1? Rockbank, Lancefield, yeah sure, Div 2, but Diggers or Rupertswood (who are also on the tongues of rumour-mongers) would find the going well too easy for them in Div 2.

If Diggers Rest were to apply to come into EDFL they must start in div1. I think it’s reasonable to accept them as they are in a growing area and in a neighboring suburb. Personally think it’s a win/win.

I’m not sure it has any affect on the current situation at both Keilor Park or Jacana. They need to pick themselves up and are still holding together and gaining respect for their willingness to fight through tough times.

If Diggers Rest were to apply to come into EDFL they must start in div1. I think it’s reasonable to accept them as they are in a growing area and in a neighboring suburb. Personally think it’s a win/win.

I’m not sure it has any affect on the current situation at both Keilor Park or Jacana. They need to pick themselves up and are still holding together and gaining respect for their willingness to fight through tough times.
So lets pretend that Rupo (or any other club from where ever ) want to come in next year competing in Div1, why should any of the EDFL clubs competing in Div 2 agree to letting a club bypass all of the Div2 clubs and given a free entry to our second best competition. Its up to each and every club to enter at the ground floor and work their way up , gain the respect of the entire competition and become a quality respected club within the EDFL.
Its not that long ago that both Jacana and Craigieburn entered the EDFL , demanded to be entered in A Grade , Craigieburn took 8 years to get out of B Grade and Jacana never have.
Lets reward our own before giving free hand outs to anyone that wants to get on the bandwagon of the EDFL

The only way Diggers would be applying to move to the EDFL would be if the RDFL was disbanded.

So lets pretend that Rupo (or any other club from where ever ) want to come in next year competing in Div1, why should any of the EDFL clubs competing in Div 2 agree to letting a club bypass all of the Div2 clubs and given a free entry to our second best competition. Its up to each and every club to enter at the ground floor and work their way up , gain the respect of the entire competition and become a quality respected club within the EDFL.
Its not that long ago that both Jacana and Craigieburn entered the EDFL , demanded to be entered in A Grade , Craigieburn took 8 years to get out of B Grade and Jacana never have.
Lets reward our own before giving free hand outs to anyone that wants to get on the bandwagon of the EDFL

I hear you and your entitled to have your views obviously.

How many current div2 sides are ready and willing to go up to div1. I mean player list and have the finances to go up and be competitive. More better off than a Diggers or Rupo..

Sunbury Kangaroos- Yes
Moonee Valley - Maybe? Club is building but might need another year or 2.
Northern Saints - Not convince they are ready just yet..Do they have the finances at present.
Coburg Districts- Interesting one! No under 19s so the jury out on CD.
Easy Sunbury - Think they had there chance last season but I’m not sure atm.

Thoughts mate..

To be honest some of the out EDFL clubs should be looking to the RDFL in my view

Not a bad thought actually. Maybe a couple of clubs could move each way..
I think Diggers to the EDFL is a good move.. Rupo not so sure..
Could Jacana look to go back to the RDFL? Maybe Keilor Park, however they have juniors in the EDFL so probably better off staying as have always played EDFL.

Interesting conversation Roota..

Could Jacana look to go back to the RDFL? Maybe Keilor Park, however they have juniors in the EDFL so probably better off staying as have always played EDFL.

Things have to change and people’s traditional views need to evolve...that’s across the entire state not just the EDFL and RDFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d love to know who you got that information from ... I was involved when we entered the edfl and that was never the case

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is it that makes Diggers to the EDFL a good move?

Diggers to div one would be the right move for both parties. Edfl and rdfl. Diggers is a strong well run club. It would take the top layer out the rdfl and close the gap between top and bottom. Diggers is also close to most div one sides in location.

In the best interest of the EDFL it must sustain an even 3 division competition aiming at even team numbers across the 3 grades. To introduce any new club straight into Div 1 would throw it out of balance. what effect would that have. Obviously there would be a relegated club but what for the Div 2 Premiers? Must they stay down to keep numbers even. Or would the league look at relegating 2 Div 1 sides.
Either way its all hypathetical but certainly an interesting topic.

In the best interest of the EDFL it must sustain an even 3 division competition aiming at even team numbers across the 3 grades. To introduce any new club straight into Div 1 would throw it out of balance. what effect would that have. Obviously there would be a relegated club but what for the Div 2 Premiers? Must they stay down to keep numbers even. Or would the league look at relegating 2 Div 1 sides.
Either way its all hypathetical but certainly an interesting topic.

Currently a bye in div1 due to uneven numbers so I reckon if Diggers come in they fill the gap and promotion/ relegation stays as is.

Craigieburn didn’t take 8 years to go up

Currently a bye in div1 due to uneven numbers so I reckon if Diggers come in they fill the gap and promotion/ relegation stays as is.

I cannot see Diggers Rest entering the EDFL. The only reason they would want to is if something is awry with the RDFL and then questions would be asked as to the administration of football in that competition. I can’t see this happenning.

I hear you and your entitled to have your views obviously.

How many current div2 sides are ready and willing to go up to div1. I mean player list and have the finances to go up and be competitive. More better off than a Diggers or Rupo..

Sunbury Kangaroos- Yes
Moonee Valley - Maybe? Club is building but might need another year or 2.
Northern Saints - Not convince they are ready just yet..Do they have the finances at present.
Coburg Districts- Interesting one! No under 19s so the jury out on CD.
Easy Sunbury - Think they had there chance last season but I’m not sure atm.

Thoughts mate..

Jury still out for me on Sunbury, 1 year or so away.
Moonee Valley and Northern would be the two most capable of going up, previous DIv 1 and Premier league experience. Both have good young talent, but will need to go up sooner rather than later to retain their top end young talent, and only question mark is Northern where they do have the finance to go up, but both teams would need three or four very good recruits .
Coburg districts have no u19”s so this is an issue moving forward, not sure they have 17,s or 15’s, less likely for mine to be able to stay up.
East Sunbury should be a lesson for clubs. Had they gone up they may have retained top end talent and thrived in DiV 1, but as fortune has it, they will remain in Div 2 for a couple of years longer, so this only adds to the pressure. I’m sure it gets harder and harder each year to go up, and why wouldn’t you want to with the issues currently facing sides in Div 2. Didn’t they all have to play each other 3 times a year or two ago? The issues keep going for this div.
Burnside could surprise but they have a heavy reliance on two players at the moment, so not really ready but their time will come.
Haddy need to rebuild themselves but are doing so nicely and if they can continue building their junior program they could look to Div 1 in the next three or 4 years.

Jury still out for me on Sunbury, 1 year or so away.
Burnside could surprise but they have a heavy reliance on two players at the moment, so not really ready but their time will come.
Haddy need to rebuild themselves but are doing so nicely and if they can continue building their junior program they could look to Div 1 in the next three or 4 years.

Interesting comment there on the Bears, heavy reliance on two players? I've watched a couple of their games this year and I wouldn't be saying they rely on two players. They would almost be the best poised to go up, they'd be the strongest club in division 2 junior wise so the basis to build in div 1 is already there.

If Diggers and Rupo (or similar) teams were to come to EDFL, id take them straight to Div 1, No team relegated and the Premier of Div 2 go up. Makes a 12 team second tier - 18 round season.

Last thing a KP, Jacana or even the relegated Div 1 side would need is to come up against two strong sides and be confined to Div 2 for another season.

Not sure Sunbury Kangaroos results in the RDFL constituted going straight to Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back