EDFL Division 1 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Have signed some quality players. I have been told it is around 10 signed. I am in the know so I don't know if they would appreciate me releasing those names yet, but definitely will be competitive and will hope to not be too long in B grade. It is essential for them to build a sustainable plan before going back to A grade.

Rob Ahmat took over 5 games in last year and unfortunately could not do anything with the list he inherited so late. He is planning to take them back to A grade and has called upon some contacts. In addition they have a lot of young players who are now playing regular senior football. The likes of Young, Hackney, Eddy, Brown, Di Sebastiano and Jetta. APW just need to get the correct culture set and as we all know, once you start winning a lot of supporters comeback too. They needed to go back down so they can setup a better plan of attack for next time they go back up.

Not sure if they can rebound and win it in their first year, but they will definitely be aiming to go back up within 2-3 years.

No offence Passionateman but Div 1 is much better than that. Anyone playing in the under 18s last year at Airport West could've played Senior football, and it wasn't a particularly strong 18s list. So blooding these young games and giving them 'experience' in a side that got whacked every week doesn't particularly amount to anything.. Take it from someone who saw Craigieburn in a very similar position in Premier Division when they finished bottom and didn't win a game. There are about 6-7 Craigieburn players who were under 18's at the time, that played regular senior footy, that now play Reserves football at Craigieburn.

Just simply blooding these players doesn't mean they will one day be good Senior football players. So I'm sorry but if you think Airport West are going to come straight into Div 1, play all these young kids again and win a flag you'll get a rude awakening.

No offence Passionateman but Div 1 is much better than that. Anyone playing in the under 18s last year at Airport West could've played Senior football, and it wasn't a particularly strong 18s list. So blooding these young games and giving them 'experience' in a side that got whacked every week doesn't particularly amount to anything.. Take it from someone who saw Craigieburn in a very similar position in Premier Division when they finished bottom and didn't win a game. There are about 6-7 Craigieburn players who were under 18's at the time, that played regular senior footy, that now play Reserves football at Craigieburn.

Just simply blooding these players doesn't mean they will one day be good Senior football players. So I'm sorry but if you think Airport West are going to come straight into Div 1, play all these young kids again and win a flag you'll get a rude awakening.
Happened at NS at look what happened to them. You need a lot more than good young kids to survive in Divy 1 these days

Anyone in the under 18s last year could've played seniors? Get real. And the reason the 18s were weak was because 7 of the best players were in the seniors most of the year. One of the strongest 18s boys is now captain of the club. And if you look at my post I said I don't know if they could win it in their first year back. I said it could take 2-3 years to stabilise and get the winning culture back. Read my post properly before looking like a fool. Blooding kids is what wins you flags when you develop your list rather than buying a whole flag. You get in some experience to help these kids grow. I feel like I've wasted my time even replying to you.

oure

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone in the under 18s last year could've played seniors? Get real. And the reason the 18s were weak was because 7 of the best players were in the seniors most of the year. One of the strongest 18s boys is now captain of the club. And if you look at my post I said I don't know if they could win it in their first year back. I said it could take 2-3 years to stabilise and get the winning culture back. Read my post properly before looking like a fool. Blooding kids is what wins you flags when you develop your list rather than buying a whole flag. You get in some experience to help these kids grow. I feel like I've wasted my time even replying to you.

oure

Hrmmm. Okay mate. Airport West scored 778 points for last year (The next closest to that was 1512), I would suggest there were players who played in that side would have been less than sub par. Just my observation as I personally know an under 18 that played in that side, and he wouldn't have played regular senior footy for either of the Div 1 top 2 clubs. And just for the record these great udner 18s players the previous year (2015) won 3 games and finished 8th.

Sorry I did read what you mentioned about not knowing about winning and that you were recruiting other players, but was just highlighting that I wouldn't bother reading into blooding under 18s in a weak Senior side no matter what division it is, because if the 18s are THAT good they would be Calder Cannons or Western Jets listed. Harsh but thats the reality. There are still good under 18s that didn't represent Cannons or Jets at any stage, but I'd love to know an Under 18 player that isn't listed in one of those squads who turned a game in Div 1 last year. Obviously in years to come they will improve.

I was simply highlighting the fact that I have seen a Senior division side (Craigieburn), play kids in a year when they were relegated, and those kids are now not good enough to gain senior selection in the current side. Basically what my post was getting at was coming off a year where 7-8 under 18s had regular senior games means absolute jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened at NS at look what happened to them. You need a lot more than good young kids to survive in Divy 1 these days

As I also said in my previous post they have recruited 10 players. Which will help develop the young players. Experience plus home growns = sustainability and not buying a whole premiership. I never once said you can build it on local players alone. Please read my comments more carefully.

Hrmmm. Okay mate. Airport West scored 778 points for last year (The next closest to that was 1512), I would suggest there were players who played in that side would have been less than sub par. Just my observation as I personally know an under 18 that played in that side, and he wouldn't have played regular senior footy for either of the Div 1 top 2 clubs. And just for the record these great udner 18s players the previous year (2015) won 3 games and finished 8th.

Sorry I did read what you mentioned about not knowing about winning and that you were recruiting other players, but was just highlighting that I wouldn't bother reading into blooding under 18s in a weak Senior side no matter what division it is, because if the 18s are THAT good they would be Calder Cannons or Western Jets listed. Harsh but thats the reality. There are still good under 18s that didn't represent Cannons or Jets at any stage, but I'd love to know an Under 18 player that isn't listed in one of those squads who turned a game in Div 1 last year. Obviously in years to come they will improve.

I was simply highlighting the fact that I have seen a Senior division side (Craigieburn), play kids in a year when they were relegated, and those kids are now not good enough to gain senior selection in the current side. Basically what my post was getting at was coming off a year where 7-8 under 18s had regular senior games means absolute jack.

Div 1 is miles off the premier division top 5 when they come up without recruiting, agree? Don't use Douttas as an example because they recruited hard ontop of the flag in 2015.

APW didn't build a sustainable platform and therefore ran out of money to compete. But they now know what they have to do and have done that. It might take them a while to achieve it.

I'll give you one example of the 2015 18s APW. Aberfeldie beat them by 148 first time around. Tyson Young and Corey Le Favi dropped back the 2nd time and they won by 42. That's a 100pt turnaround from 2 players. So don't tell me it doesn't make a difference or there isn't talent that couldnt play in Div 1 top 1-2 because they are VFL listed players now.

Secondly, APW seniors were just as bad last year and had the same amount of kids playing in the senior side, therefore you have your best talent out of the 18s. If you take your 5-7 best out of any side whether that is AFL or local footy you will struggle to win games.

I agree with your point that it can mean jack, but most of these 18s were the better players in that senior side this year. And you may not think that counts for anything good because of the results. But I've been in footy long enough to know talent when I see it.

By the way who is the 18s player you know? Isn't Joel Brown is it? Because he plays cricket out that way.

As I also said in my previous post they have recruited 10 players. Which will help develop the young players. Experience plus home growns = sustainability and not buying a whole premiership. I never once said you can build it on local players alone. Please read my comments more carefully.

Thats great and good luck to you. I guess we will judge the 'sustained' success in 3-4 years. Craigieburn had a grand final winning under 18s side 3 years ago, with a lot of players that were 'blooded' during that year.

Come premiership time, there were only 2 players from that Under 18s side that played in the Div 1 Senior flag, and NONE of the players that were 'blooded' (very similar number 7-8) as under 18s in Craigieburns last year in Premier Division (2012) played in this years flag.

IMO would be very difficult to not buy a Div 1 premiership and be in a competitive position (let alone out of relegation zone) in a first year up in Premier Division.

Div 1 is miles off the premier division top 5 when they come up without recruiting, agree? Don't use Douttas as an example because they recruited hard ontop of the flag in 2015.

APW didn't build a sustainable platform and therefore ran out of money to compete. But they now know what they have to do and have done that. It might take them a while to achieve it.

I'll give you one example of the 2015 18s APW. Aberfeldie beat them by 148 first time around. Tyson Young and Corey Le Favi dropped back the 2nd time and they won by 42. That's a 100pt turnaround from 2 players. So don't tell me it doesn't make a difference or there isn't talent that couldnt play in Div 1 top 1-2 because they are VFL listed players now.

Secondly, APW seniors were just as bad last year and had the same amount of kids playing in the senior side, therefore you have your best talent out of the 18s. If you take your 5-7 best out of any side whether that is AFL or local footy you will struggle to win games.

I agree with your point that it can mean jack, but most of these 18s were the better players in that senior side this year. And you may not think that counts for anything good because of the results. But I've been in footy long enough to know talent when I see it.

By the way who is the 18s player you know? Isn't Joel Brown is it? Because he plays cricket out that way.

I'd say Premier division is miles off Div 1 recruiting right down to 2nd last. Other than APW last year, Every other side would beat the Div 1 sides comfortably except Craigieburn, and thats generally been how it is. 1 or 2 sides spend up and try to win Div 1 thats just the way it is and has been right back to Marby doing it in 2007 in Div 1.

Thats great and good luck to you. I guess we will judge the 'sustained' success in 3-4 years. Craigieburn had a grand final winning under 18s side 3 years ago, with a lot of players that were 'blooded' during that year.

Come premiership time, there were only 2 players from that Under 18s side that played in the Div 1 Senior flag, and NONE of the players that were 'blooded' (very similar number 7-8) as under 18s in Craigieburns last year in Premier Division (2012) played in this years flag.

IMO would be very difficult to not buy a Div 1 premiership and be in a competitive position (let alone out of relegation zone) in a first year up in Premier Division.

So when the 18s boys are 3-4 years down the track they will be 21-22 yeah... and with good development and if they have the talent they will then start to be in the age bracket to handle themselves. That's my point of development. To blood kids they don't turn into superstars in the first year. It takes time. By adding experienced footballers with them it aids in this development.

So when the 18s boys are 3-4 years down the track they will be 21-22 yeah... and with good development and if they have the talent they will then start to be in the age bracket to handle themselves. That's my point of development. To blood kids they don't turn into superstars in the first year. It takes time. By adding experienced footballers with them it aids in this development.

Thats a fair point, just don't be surprised if only 2 of those 7-8 who were blooded are good enough to play in a Premiership winning side.

CB 18's won flag 14 runners up 15 played in preliminary final 16

Hopefully all 10 players are able to play each week. Cause with the points system that equates to between 30-40 points depending on where their from, b&f etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully all 10 players are able to play each week. Cause with the points system that equates to between 30-40 points depending on where their from, b&f etc

Hopefully! But that's the same anywhere who want to recruit a few. I'll say it again... I don't expect APW to win it first year back. They will need to rebuild the culture and make sure they have the right experience with their youngsters. If they have 5x3 pointers plus 5x4 pointers that equals 35 points. Plus they have a lot of local 1pts. So add 12x1 pointers. That totals 47pts which is on the edge. It can work...

Hopefully! But that's the same anywhere who want to recruit a few. I'll say it again... I don't expect APW to win it first year back. They will need to rebuild the culture and make sure they have the right experience with their youngsters. If they have 5x3 pointers plus 5x4 pointers that equals 35 points. Plus they have a lot of local 1pts. So add 12x1 pointers. That totals 47pts which is on the edge. It can work...
I think every club in every div will be on the limit each week. Thursday night selections will be made tougher. New recruits being dropped only due to their high points good luck coaches

Give us the Fact then Foote... $900? $800?whatever the number he didn't deliver. Cam Cloke $1200? $1500? Did he deliver? In spades. Turbo do u watch Div 1 footy? If so is D.Ferraro a 500 mid i say 100% remember that mercenary who walked out of Westy mid year name? He was on massive coin and delivered zero. Back to my original question What is a top line mid in Div 1 worth? 5,6 800 i put it out there for you all to deliberate on
$600

Rumour is they haven't payed this years players yet .
I'm hearing they owe at least half the season to some players and the ex coach hasn't even been paid at all. Not good times for OP. The couldn't possibly recruit anyone if they can't pay the players from last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back