Analysis Eliminating the fishbowl environment in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

We have all these people in top positions in the media and politics as ambassadors. THIS is the problem as we control far too much of the output the criticism is absent (the whinging about Kane Conres and Rucci is nuts). This makes us extremely insular and defensive as an opposing view isn't welcomed this in turn leads to messiah status for the players enhancing the fishbowl.

We as supporters need to be more open to criticism and demand it instead of crying about it, we have a ridiculously easy ride in the media here and any slight is exaggerated. This is good for making money, but poor for making improvements.

http://www.afc.com.au/club/information/ambassadors

Bit 'Off topic' I know but the 'fish bowl' that needs eliminating is the MCG on GF Day. (And no I'm not blaming it for our less than memorable loss on 30 September). But IMO its almost impossible for interstate teams to win GFs there and the stats seem to support this. Out of ten GFs since 2007, seven have been Vic v non-Vic and only once has a non-Vic side got up - the Swans in 2012.

2004-2006 the GFs were all non-Vic v Non-Vic. Brisbane went through their golden years before then 2001 - 2003, then before 2001 you have to go back to our 1998 victory before an interstate side pops up again. So since we last won a GF there have been 19 GFs and only seven have been won by interstate sides - 3 of those were all interstate GFs which means only four were won against Vic sides out of 16 (if my wonky maths is vaguely right).

Absolutely everything around the match (Melbourne, culture, media, fans, corp boxes, you name it) are stacked against non-Vic teams. Its time that was evened up and like other national leagues the GF was shared around the states capable of holding a GF.

Last edited:

We have all these people in top positions in the media and politics as ambassadors. THIS is the problem as we control far too much of the output the criticism is absent (the whinging about Kane Conres and Rucci is nuts). This makes us extremely insular and defensive as an opposing view isn't welcomed this in turn leads to messiah status for the players enhancing the fishbowl.

We as supporters need to be more open to criticism and demand it instead of crying about it, we have a ridiculously easy ride in the media here and any slight is exaggerated. This is good for making money, but poor for making improvements.

I don't see how this is relevant. I don't think the club has hidden or blocked anything that would have made any player leave.

What criticism should be given to the club that they have escaped from?

IMO, players move on for money, success or fame. Therefore since Brenton Sanderson was coach, the on-field stuff has been very stable and the results have been very respectable. Paying Jake Lever would have been very irresponsible and it's too early to know if the truth behind low balling Rory Sloane will become a factor or not.

I disagree with this completely.

The 'Vic media is against us' gets exaggerated sure (this trade season was an exception as everyone seemed to kick the crows when they were down), but the bombardment of over the top or fabricated criticism of the crows by rucci and kornes deserves as much calling out as it gets. They are beyond bias and moreover act like spoilt children when they are called out for their bullshit.

These guys get a lot more exposure than any ambassador.

I disagree with this completely.

The 'Vic media is against us' gets exaggerated sure (this trade season was an exception as everyone seemed to kick the crows when they were down), but the bombardment of over the top or fabricated criticism of the crows by rucci and kornes deserves as much calling out as it gets. They are beyond bias and moreover act like spoilt children when they are called out for their bullshit.

These guys get a lot more exposure than any ambassador.
Of course you do, that's the problem. If you think we get bad press on the whole then that delusion adds to the fishbowl effect.

Yet another player revealing the true reason for "escaping" Adelaide .......it's not the city itself, it's the god damn media ......5AA step up & accept the blame!!!!

I don't blame 5AA as they are a business and it is there responsabity to sell adverts and get people to listen. They need to find anyway to get people to tune in.

I blame the people of Adelaide who tune in to 1395 AM and listen to their tabloid trash radio shows. They are evaluated by ratings, if you don't like what they say, don't listen. If enough people stop listening,they will get replaced. They will change strategies to re-engage their listeners.

Turn off 5AA.

Yet another player revealing the true reason for "escaping" Adelaide .......it's not the city itself, it's the god damn media ......5AA step up & accept the blame!!!!

Or maybe what he’s saying isn’t true and he doesn’t believe it is true?

Maybe we shouldn’t be too worried about whatever self justification he comes up with

Maybe we shouldn’t be too worried about whatever self justification he comes up with

If the amount of exposure/media or public interaction Charlie had to endure was enough to make him want to do what he has done then maybe he should reconsider his present career choice as he would probably cop as much playing div2 NEAFL.

Those numerous creative goal celebrations weren't the hallmarks of a shrinking violet.

Something a bit Harry.O. about this lad.

If the amount of exposure/media or public interaction Charlie had to endure was enough to make him want to do what he has done then maybe he should reconsider his present career choice as he would probably cop as much playing div2 NEAFL.

Those numerous creative goal celebrations weren't the hallmarks of a shrinking violet.

Something a bit Harry.O. about this lad.
Don't be to hard on him. The problem with these types of articles is that we don't know the questions the journalists ask. Often they seem to ask questions looking for a specific answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a pretty easy excuse to pull out. Same as homesickness. Nobody ever does a Michael Caine with Jaws 4 and admits it was all about the $.

Don't be to hard on him. The problem with these types of articles is that we don't know the questions the journalists ask. Often they seem to ask questions looking for a specific answer.

Yeah good call.
I have had this sense with him for a while though now and that quote doesn't seem out of sorts from what I can tell.

I admit the HarryO comparison may be a bit stiff. Time will tell I guess.

I don't blame 5AA as they are a business and it is there responsabity to sell adverts and get people to listen. They need to find anyway to get people to tune in.

I blame the people of Adelaide who tune in to 1395 AM and listen to their tabloid trash radio shows. They are evaluated by ratings, if you don't like what they say, don't listen. If enough people stop listening,they will get replaced. They will change strategies to re-engage their listeners.

Turn off 5AA.

If people turned off 5AA, all the old people in SA would probably die as they'd have nothing left to live for. How would they get by without Leon Byner telling them what to think and feel?

Guess I'd be the only oldie still around as I don't listen to 5AA. Who is Leon Byner?
he's just the worst - that's all you need to know

I heard that Danger left because he doesn't like attention.

Now he is getting all the attention from the happy vic media, oh we (media) wanted him to go back to Geelong and now we're so happy he now plays for Geelong. And then in the end they fail in the finals. They are doing the same to Sloane, he is a free agent next year ... oh we're hoping he goes back to Vic. Let's see if Sloane does not crumble under pressure from the media at the end of 2018. For both Sloane and Dangerfield, despite all the pressures in life only one thing is on their mind and that is to win a premiership. They may or may not by the end of their careers. It is VERY HARD to win in this league!

Last edited:
I still maintain that the fishbowl is not the problem.

The biggest problem that the club has to come to terms with is that trying to have set pay scales like some of the Vic clubs have is just not viable in Adelaide.

The club seems desperate to continue to stick to this failed ideology despite the fact that we're continually losing players. Surely the penny has to drop at some point that the club has to find new ways to manage their list or be left behind.

We've all laughed at Port, but the reality is that if you want to retain players we simply have to pay above the odds. Rumours seems to suggest that the club dedicates too much cap space to mediocre players at the expense of those who are at the top. The problem with our system is that we're rewarding players like Mackay, Douglas etc and making it really easy to retain them, but as a consequence we're bleeding the talent at the top. Whereas it should be the other way around.

Can't run the club salary cap like Geelong and Hawthorn when your team is in Adelaide. Agree totally.

I have spoken with two different AFC players from slightly different eras.
Both said the same thing. The #1 thing is media scrutiny. #2 is public scrutiny. Incessant demands to be premiers. People staring at you everywhere you go. Getting harassed in pubs by drunks. One went shopping regularly in disguise late at night to avoid this.
You can say money is the issue but all clubs have much the same salary cap. At other clubs players stay. At Crows they leave.
I asked one what about Port. Although he hates Port he said the supporters don't have the same unreasonable demands of the players and their culture is stronger.
I expect flaming here but that kind of supports my argument.
You can deny as much as you like but until you speak with the players you have NFI.
And maybe hassling them on the street to ask them is not such a great idea...

We haven't won a flag since 1998. We must be terrible people to want to win another won so soon. Don't the media pressure other teams to win the flag too??????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back