Game Day Elimination Final @ Subi : Thurs 8/9, 6.10pm - WCE v Eastern Bulldogs - **** Off, the West is Ours!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I didn't enjoy writing it
I hope he kicks 8. :D

Adams suits JJK, so his absence is very good for WCE. As long we don't become JJK centric, we'll be sweet.

Look I didn't enjoy writing it
TBH you could have just omitted that point, and just gone with #3, as it's as pertinent as any.

Will be really interesting to see how we handle being hot favourites.

I'm not suggesting there's not good reason to be confident, but there's quietly confident and then there's "the game will be over by quarter time" confident. I'm confident, but I've been playing and watching sport long enough to know that inexplicable boil-overs do happen.

To further play devil's advocate, let me outline some reasons why we may lose:

- Josh Kennedy is an excellent kick at goal, but he is always fighting a natural hook. Every now and then he completely loses it and can't kick straight. It might just be that he gets the jitters tomorrow night. The rest of the team are very capable of missing easy shots at goal.

- Our form has been excellent of late, but it is also fleeting. The majority of the season has been spent playing mediocre football that won't be good enough to win on Thursday night.

- Our team is mentally weak. When expectation was high early in the season, we got blown away by top sides. Then when it became apparent to some the Eagles weren't flag threats this season, the pressure came down and they started to perform. This shows mental weakness. Simply, I don't think the Eagles of 2016 can be trusted 100% to bring their A-game when it matters most.

Before everyone gets their keyboard warrior on, I should point out I was one of the few suggesting we were still a chance to win the flag 6 weeks ago, when most on here were saying it was time for a mini rebuild.

The one and only time I thought we're stuffed this year was after the Melbourne game. Still think we can win. Pretty confident actually.

As for our mediocre being good enough to win this. Well that's my point.
We were mediocre against the dogs.
Play that same game at Subi and we win. Remove half their team and we win by more.

At least the conversation hasn't descended into talking about nervous poos......yet.
If things go the way I expect them to, that'll be next weeks conversation

At least the conversation hasn't descended into talking about nervous poos......yet.
soon-9.jpg

Dare someone to ask the Bulldogs board if anyone has an MCC membership for next week like that guy who asked the Freo board for grand final tickets last year.

You can't just go and post s**t like this. The older i get the less *s i've got to give and the more likely i become to do things like this.

As the day gets closer my confidence is certainly rising.

I think last year proved we're a finals team, took down the Hawks in what was a scintillating performance, then after a so-so start absolutely carved up North.

The GF was a massive letdown, but that's another story with a history linked to it.

Don't worry about a week off, maybe we start a little slower, but there really is everything working in our favour for this one.

They could only beat us by 8 on their home turf with a full team -wood (we were missing McGovern), even taking a record high marks inside 50 (17 marks) and having about 150 more touches of the ball.

I like the doggies, but I'm finding it hard to see them getting the win - too many ifs and maybes.

If the returning players aren't underdone
If Stringer can find form
If they find a way to get past Gov/Barrass
If they can stop JK/JD etc.
If they can turnaround history to win at Subi
If they can turnaround history to win a final away from home
If they can reverse their recent form
If we drop off our recent form
If we drop off our long history of strong home form & finals form at home
If they can keep up for 4 quarters at attacking hard running style at Subi

Then they might beat us.

Quick write up on the game this week. Feel free to whack in gd thread or just have a read! Good luck on the weekend boys.

West Coast v Western Bulldogs

West_Coast_versus_Western_Bulldogs.jpg

Two teams from the 'West'; in a first, the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs open the 2016 AFL finals campaign this Thursday night over at Domain Stadium. Whilst both teams have enjoyed solid seasons, injuries have impacted both clubs heavily. With one team flying and one team faltering, will the finals opener be a fizzer?

When & Where?

Elimination Final 1, 8:10PM THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2016 at Subiaco

On the cusp of opening the 2016 finals series, West Coast would be balancing conflicting emotions with their season. After a loss late in the season to Collingwood, the Eagles managed to win their last four games, including victories over GWS, Hawthorn, and Adelaide. Ensuring a home final despite missing the top 4, the Subiaco has been a fortress for the Western teams, especially when they're playing well.

Contrary to the Eagle's finish, the Bulldogs managed 3-3 to round out the season, including a close win against Collingwood in round 21. Dogged by injury, they will be desperate to regain some of their fire-power for their travel West. Unfortunately for Dogs fans, if their win rate against the Eagles is poor, their chances at their home ground are even worse.

With only four wins from their nineteen outings at Subiaco, Luke Beveridge and his boys certainly have their work cut out for them Thursday.

How will it happen?

Photo_Robert-Cinaflone_Getty-Images_Resize.jpg

Despite injuries to key personnel both teams performed admirably this year, however with 22 home and away games the season is never balanced.

As a 2015 Grand Finalist, West Coast had an understandably tough draw. Of their nine games against other finalists this year, only three were at Subiaco. Considering they're not known for travelling well, a 5-4 record for the Eagles seems a decent return given the lengthy trip. Contrasting this the Bulldogs had five home games, including 'away' games against North Melbourne and Geelong. Still, the Dogs managed just 4 wins with a percentage of 88.9%.

On form, the Eagles are probably the better side. Yet there is no doubt something about this Bulldogs team.

With an exciting brand of football and a tenacity that's been missing for years, the Dogs have been a delight to watch. Fast paced, contested football generally means the toughest and hardest succeed in September. The one thing the Bulldogs have in spades is toughness; ranking first in contested possessions, second in clearances and in inside 50's, they will no doubt get their hands on the ball. The biggest question – what they will do with it.

The Bulldogs would believe they can control possession and pace of the game. They would say they can contain the Eagles forwards. They are after all a miserly bunch – at an average of just 73 points a game they've conceded the third fewest points. But for all their disposal dominance, they must be able to score themselves to threaten the Eagles. And for all the praise their defensive efforts deserve, the Eagles have averaged only 65 points scored against them at their home ground.

A key strategy to winning will be suppressing the Eagle's forwards, Coleman medallist Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling. Whilst the Bulldogs have recalled forward Jake Stringer, having their leading goal scorer playing at VFL level there must be massive doubt over whether they can kick a winning score.

In their only encounter this year the Dogs did triumph over West Coast, but that was at the Docklands. The expanse of Subiaco should mute the effect of the Dogs' run, and no-one does it better there than the Eagles.

What will happen?

As of writing, the odds are:

WB_WC_Final1.jpg

No surprises here, the Eagles are almost unbackable closing in on $1.20. Finals are a different beast to home and away games, so anything can happen. Here however, they do reflect the enormity of the Bulldog's task.

Last time they met:

Bulldogs_Eagles.jpg

This time they meet:

With so much of the top 8 occupied by perennial finalists, one could see merit in hoping the Dogs make it far in 2016. Cruelled by injuries however, their season that promised so much faltered late with losses to St Kilda, Fremantle, and Geelong twice.

Although the loss of Natanui is a huge one for West Coast, their current form shows they're capable of covering the big man. And whilst the importance of first-touch and the x-factor Nic Nat brings can't be overstated, their class around the ball and up forward should prove too much for the Bulldogs to handle.

The Dogs can take a lot of experience out of Thursday night, but the Eagles should win well.

West Coast by 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling that the game will be similar in style to last season’s game at Subi between the clubs.

West Coast will start to get on top and our dangerous forwards will see the Dogs push more players back while opening up their forward line for Stringer/T Boyd and a few smalls that will push forward from the midfield. This will mean they will score on the counter attack as we find some defenders one out against their forwards. However, it also means there will be enough ball in the midfield/forward of center that we’ll create enough opportunities and they won’t be able to stop us scoring.

Could see us winning 80-50, or if it really opens up winning 130-70 odd. Either way it will be a comfortable win, and you can put money on the over when it comes to the 28.5 money line.

Quick write up on the game this week. Feel free to whack in gd thread or just have a read! Good luck on the weekend boys.

Two teams from the 'West'; in a first, the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs open the 2016 AFL finals campaign this Thursday night over at Domain Stadium. Whilst both teams have enjoyed solid seasons, injuries have impacted both clubs heavily. With one team flying and one team faltering, will the finals opener be a fizzer?

When & Where?

On the cusp of opening the 2016 finals series, West Coast would be balancing conflicting emotions with their season. After a loss late in the season to Collingwood, the Eagles managed to win their last four games, including victories over GWS, Hawthorn, and Adelaide. Ensuring a home final despite missing the top 4, the Subiaco has been a fortress for the Western teams, especially when they're playing well.

Contrary to the Eagle's finish, the Bulldogs managed 3-3 to round out the season, including a close win against Collingwood in round 21. Dogged by injury, they will be desperate to regain some of their fire-power for their travel West. Unfortunately for Dogs fans, if their win rate against the Eagles is poor, their chances at their home ground are even worse.

With only four wins from their nineteen outings at Subiaco, Luke Beveridge and his boys certainly have their work cut out for them Thursday.

How will it happen?

Despite injuries to key personnel both teams performed admirably this year, however with 22 home and away games the season is never balanced.

As a 2015 Grand Finalist, West Coast had an understandably tough draw. Of their nine games against other finalists this year, only three were at Subiaco. Considering they're not known for travelling well, a 5-4 record for the Eagles seems a decent return given the lengthy trip. Contrasting this the Bulldogs had five home games, including 'away' games against North Melbourne and Geelong. Still, the Dogs managed just 4 wins with a percentage of 88.9%.

On form, the Eagles are probably the better side. Yet there is no doubt something about this Bulldogs team.

With an exciting brand of football and a tenacity that's been missing for years, the Dogs have been a delight to watch. Fast paced, contested football generally means the toughest and hardest succeed in September. The one thing the Bulldogs have in spades is toughness; ranking first in contested possessions, second in clearances and in inside 50's, they will no doubt get their hands on the ball. The biggest question – what they will do with it.

The Bulldogs would believe they can control possession and pace of the game. They would say they can contain the Eagles forwards. They are after all a miserly bunch – at an average of just 73 points a game they've conceded the third fewest points. But for all their disposal dominance, they must be able to score themselves to threaten the Eagles. And for all the praise their defensive efforts deserve, the Eagles have averaged only 65 points scored against them at their home ground.

A key strategy to winning will be suppressing the Eagle's forwards, Coleman medallist Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling. Whilst the Bulldogs have recalled forward Jake Stringer, having their leading goal scorer playing at VFL level there must be massive doubt over whether they can kick a winning score.

In their only encounter this year the Dogs did triumph over West Coast, but that was at the Docklands. The expanse of Subiaco should mute the effect of the Dogs' run, and no-one does it better there than the Eagles.

What will happen?

WB_WC_Final1.jpg

No surprises here, the Eagles are almost unbackable closing in on $1.20. Finals are a different beast to home and away games, so anything can happen. Here however, they do reflect the enormity of the Bulldog's task.

Last time they met:

Bulldogs_Eagles.jpg

This time they meet:

With so much of the top 8 occupied by perennial finalists, one could see merit in hoping the Dogs make it far in 2016. Cruelled by injuries however, their season that promised so much faltered late with losses to St Kilda, Fremantle, and Geelong twice.

Although the loss of Natanui is a huge one for West Coast, their current form shows they're capable of covering the big man. And whilst the importance of first-touch and the x-factor Nic Nat brings can't be overstated, their class around the ball and up forward should prove too much for the Bulldogs to handle.

The Dogs can take a lot of experience out of Thursday night, but the Eagles should win well.

West Coast by 28.
10 times better than any preview you'd find on afl.com.au, well done.

Starting to get nervous. I always am. Early in the week, I was expecting us to belt them, and that may still happen. Their ins, underdone or not, will see them likely win the midfield battle, and with teams always tending to score against us over the top, they've got plenty of pace to expose us running forward into an open forward line.

I'm not suggesting there's not good reason to be confident, but there's quietly confident and then there's "the game will be over by quarter time" confident. I'm confident, but I've been playing and watching sport long enough to know that inexplicable boil-overs do happen.

To further play devil's advocate, let me outline some reasons why we may lose:

- Josh Kennedy is an excellent kick at goal, but he is always fighting a natural hook. Every now and then he completely loses it and can't kick straight. It might just be that he gets the jitters tomorrow night. The rest of the team are very capable of missing easy shots at goal.

- Our form has been excellent of late, but it is also fleeting. The majority of the season has been spent playing mediocre football that won't be good enough to win on Thursday night.

- Our team is mentally weak. When expectation was high early in the season, we got blown away by top sides. Then when it became apparent to some the Eagles weren't flag threats this season, the pressure came down and they started to perform. This shows mental weakness. Simply, I don't think the Eagles of 2016 can be trusted 100% to bring their A-game when it matters most.

Before everyone gets their keyboard warrior on, I should point out I was one of the few suggesting we were still a chance to win the flag 6 weeks ago, when most on here were saying it was time for a mini rebuild.
Damn mate if I wrote this everyone would bully me.

Starting to get nervous. I always am. Early in the week, I was expecting us to belt them, and that may still happen. Their ins, underdone or not, will see them likely win the midfield battle, and with teams always tending to score against us over the top, they've got plenty of pace to expose us running forward into an open forward line.

One thing we did do well against Adelaide, who are a well known 'over the back' scoring team, is drop the last one or two players in the zone just that little bit deeper, which didn't give them those opportunities. From memory I think Betts might have got one, but Wellers was right on his hammer and he took a mark in the goal square. I can't be 100% but I reckon we might have done this against the Hawks too. Think Simmo and the boys have tweaked the web a bit to reduce the incidence of over the back goals.

When & Where?

How will it happen?

What will happen?

WB_WC_Final1.jpg

Last time they met:

Bulldogs_Eagles.jpg

This time they meet:

West Coast by 28.

Top effort. Thanks for sharing.

10 times better than any preview you'd find on afl.com.au, well done.[/QUOTE

Spot On.

One thing we did do well against Adelaide, who are a well known 'over the back' scoring team, is drop the last one or two players in the zone just that little bit deeper, which didn't give them those opportunities. From memory I think Betts might have got one, but Wellers was right on his hammer and he took a mark in the goal square. I can't be 100% but I reckon we might have done this against the Hawks too. Think Simmo and the boys have tweaked the web a bit to reduce the incidence of over the back goals.
Jenkins also got one. Very late when the game was done and dusted.

Few guys didn't travel that would've played if Libba & Macrae didn't play:

Midfielders Koby Stevens and Bailey Williams appear to be omissions from the side that lost to Fremantle in round 23, as they didn't check-in with the rest of the team.

Fletcher Roberts might be the unlucky defender if Wood proves his fitness as Joel Hamling has the versatility to play tall or small.

Tom Campbell was also notably absent after Beveridge said the ruckman would definitely make the trip west.

Libba & Macrae were crucial to Geelong which kept Dangerfield and Selwood in the dark until they got injured.

Going to be a ******* awesome game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back