Opinion Essendon Round 1 Starting Midfield

Which player do you most expect to push for a bigger midfield impact in 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield quickness is a bit of an issue for us. The much bigger issue is lack of two way running on large grounds which compounded when we start to increase our turnovers.

One of the biggest myths in football is midfield pace. Only the truely great teams had more than two speedsters in there teams. Look at the Geelong dynasty, Wojo from defence was genuinely quick, Varcoe in the front half was genuinely quick, apart from that they were just quick by mind and skill.

It's going to be a big midfield this year, that's for certain. Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell are all touching or over 190cm - as are Davies and Lovett-Murray, for that matter. I can't think of another team that has that sort of collective height through the centre... for example, Hawthorn's tallest recognised midfielder would be Isaac Smith, who I think is listed at about 188cm.

I'm not saying it's going to be a defining factor of our season... just think it's an interesting sidenote.

It's going to be a big midfield this year, that's for certain. Watson, Goddard, Myers and Heppell are all touching or over 190cm - as are Davies and Lovett-Murray, for that matter. I can't think of another team that has that sort of collective height through the centre... for example, Hawthorn's tallest recognised midfielder would be Isaac Smith, who I think is listed at about 188cm.

I'm not saying it's going to be a defining factor of our season... just think it's an interesting sidenote.
A problem we've had in the past is our spread from packs, it gets highlighted whenever we play Carlton. I cant see that improving due to the guys you've named above aswell as Howlett, and Hocking; However i think the solution lies with the improved midfield play of Dempsey, Zaka and Stants. These three are oh so important imo, as if they go down, like they did last year, our run will go too.

Back