Preview Round 6: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Carrara, 11/07/2020 @ 7:40PM

Who won't have less points at the end of the game? (Who wins?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Essendon had an excellent against flag fancies and arch rivals Collingwood. Andrew Phillips was an excellent inclusion with 6 clearances whilst Dylan Shiel had 29 disposals as well as the match winning goal, whilst up front the ever reliable Jake Stringer kicked 3 goals again in an excellent display of forward craft

North Melbourne:

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4 - 1 North Melbourne

Form Guide

Essendon: 3W 1L
North Melbourne: 2W 2L

Sportsbet odds (unavailable)

Essendon: $1.66
North Melbourne: $2.18
Line: 6.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Essendon vs North Melbourne

B: Aaron Francis - Cale Hooker - Adam Saad
F: Cameron Zurhaar - Tristan Xerri - Tarryn Thomas
HB: Mason Redman - Michael Hurley - Martin Gleeson
HF: Curtis Taylor - Ben Brown - Jack Mahoney
C: Kyle Langford - Zach Merrett - Brayden Ham
C: Jared Polec - Ben Cunnington - Aaron Hall
HF: Orazio Fantasia - Shaun McKernan - Devon Smith
HB: Jasper Pittard - Josh Walker - Shaun Atley
F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Jake Stringer - Jacob Townsend
B: Luke McDonald - Robbie Tarrant - Jamie Macmillan
R: Andrew Phillips - Darcy Parish - Dylan Shiel
R: Todd Goldstein - Shaun Higgins - Jy Simpkin
I: Andrew McGrath - Mitchell Hibberd - Jordan Ridley - Will Snelling
I: Jed Anderson - Marley Williams - Trent Dumont - Kyron Hayden

Essendon in: Zach Merrett, Aaron Francis; Out: David Zaharakis (I live in hope), Jayden Laverde
North Melbourne in: N/A; Out: N/A

North Melbourne defence vs Essendon forward line

First four games Essendon averaged 24.1% in terms of goals/inside 50, much improved from last year. North Melbourne has been really solid in defence this season, only conceding a goal 20% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Robbie Tarrant has been excellent this year at shutting the oppositions number 1 tall so far, and will have a tough time against the in form Jake Stringer, who has 10 goals in his 4 games, with Josh Walker being a capable second likely to take Shaun McKernan. Jacob Townsend may do a lockdown job on Shaun Atley, the redhead has been kicking goals in most of his matches. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Orazio Fantasia will likely get attention from Jasper Pittard and Luke McDonald, the two small defenders have been effective for North so far this season.

Midfield/rucks battle

North Melbourne have been excellent on the contested side of the midfield, currently 1st in clearance differential and 5th in contested possession differential, whilst Essendon are 11th and 13th in those particular areas at this point in time. North will be hoping Jy Simpkin's excellent start to the season will continue, the midfielder having dominated the first 4 games, averaging 24 touches and 6.5 clearances a game, as well as being ably supported by Shaun Higgins, Ben Cunnington and Trent Dumont in the engine room, whilst Essendon's midfield brigade is lead by Dylan Shiel, averaging 26 touches and 7 clearances a game for the Dons, who's main inside support crew will be Darcy Parish, Zach Merrett and former Roo Mitch Hibberd, who will probably have a point to prove to North Melbourne. On the outside it's looking like an even contest, if slightly in favour of the Roos with the likes of Jasper Pittaard, Jed Anderson and Aaron Hall whilst Essendon will use Kyle Langford, Will Snelling and Brayden Ham as their main outside players. Rucks wise, Andrew Phillips was impressive on debut for Essendon last week but comes against Todd Goldstein, one of the best rucks in the competition, who will likely have his measure.

North Melbourne forward line vs Essendon defence

North Melbourne average a goal 22.7% of the time they enter their forward 50, around the middle of the league so far. Essendon have a middle of the road back 7, conceding a goal 23.8% of the time it goes into defence this season. Expect Cale Hooker to take young forward/ruck Tristan Xerri who has been promising this year so far, whilst Michael Hurley probably takes Ben Brown, who has always had an excellent record against Essendon. Aaron Francis is likely to go head to head with Cameron Zurhaar, the medium forward's aggression in the air and on the ground a standout feature, playing similarly to Max Rooke. Small forwards Tarryn Thomas and Curtis Taylor have also impressed for North, but will have it tough against Mason Redman and Adam Saad respectively.

X-Factor Player

Jordan Ridley has given many Essendon fans goosebumps this season, his assuredness and ability to hit a target the vast majority of the time has been really unusual for Essendon, which is why most have enjoyed him so far this season.

Key stat

Essendon: Clearances. They win this, they win the game most of the time, last week was a prime example of that

North Melbourne: Defensive conversion. North's defence is the backbone of their structure, they can't afford to let Stringer and Walla off the chain

Tip

Essendon should win this after such a promising performance the week before. Dons by 22

Last edited:

Observations

Essendon: Essendon had an excellent against flag fancies and arch rivals Collingwood. Andrew Phillips was an excellent inclusion with 6 clearances whilst Dylan Shiel had 29 disposals as well as the match winning goal, whilst up front the ever reliable Jake Stringer kicked 3 goals again in an excellent display of forward craft

North Melbourne:

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4 - 1 North Melbourne

Form Guide

Essendon: 3W 1L
North Melbourne: 2W 2L

Sportsbet odds (unavailable)

Essendon: $
North Melbourne: $
Line: .5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Essendon vs North Melbourne

B: Aaron Francis - Cale Hooker - Adam Saad
F: Cameron Zurhaar - Tristan Xerri - Tarryn Thomas
HB: Mason Redman - Michael Hurley - Martin Gleeson
HF: Curtis Taylor - Ben Brown - Jack Mahoney
C: Kyle Langford - Zach Merrett - Brayden Ham
C: Jared Polec - Ben Cunnington - Aaron Hall
HF: Orazio Fantasia - Shaun McKernan - Devon Smith
HB: Jasper Pittard - Josh Walker - Shaun Atley
F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Jake Stringer - Jacob Townsend
B: Luke McDonald - Robbie Tarrant - Jamie Macmillan
R: Andrew Phillips - Darcy Parish - Dylan Shiel
R: Todd Goldstein - Shaun Higgins - Jy Simpkin
I: Andrew McGrath - Mitchell Hibberd - Jordan Ridley - Will Snelling
I: Jed Anderson - Marley Williams - Trent Dumont - Kyron Hayden

Essendon in: Zach Merrett, Aaron Francis; Out: David Zaharakis (I live in hope), Jayden Laverde
North Melbourne in: N/A; Out: N/A

North Melbourne defence vs Essendon forward line

First four games Essendon averaged 24.1% in terms of goals/inside 50, much improved from last year. North Melbourne has been really solid in defence this season, only conceding a goal 20% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Robbie Tarrant has been excellent this year at shutting the oppositions number 1 tall so far, and will have a tough time against the in form Jake Stringer, who has 10 goals in his 4 games, with Josh Walker being a capable second likely to take Shaun McKernan. Jacob Townsend may do a lockdown job on Shaun Atley, the redhead has been kicking goals in most of his matches. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Orazio Fantasia will likely get attention from Jasper Pittard and Luke McDonald, the two small defenders have been effective for North so far this season.

Midfield/rucks battle

North Melbourne have been excellent on the contested side of the midfield, currently 1st in clearance differential and 5th in contested possession differential, whilst Essendon are 11th and 13th in those particular areas at this point in time. North will be hoping Jy Simpkin's excellent start to the season will continue, the midfielder having dominated the first 4 games, averaging 24 touches and 6.5 clearances a game, as well as being ably supported by Shaun Higgins, Ben Cunnington and Trent Dumont in the engine room, whilst Essendon's midfield brigade is lead by Dylan Shiel, averaging 26 touches and 7 clearances a game for the Dons, who's main inside support crew will be Darcy Parish, Zach Merrett and former Roo Mitch Hibberd, who will probably have a point to prove to North Melbourne. On the outside it's looking like an even contest, if slightly in favour of the Roos with the likes of Jasper Pittaard, Jed Anderson and Aaron Hall whilst Essendon will use Kyle Langford, Will Snelling and Brayden Ham as their main outside players. Rucks wise, Andrew Phillips was impressive on debut for Essendon last week but comes against Todd Goldstein, one of the best rucks in the competition, who will likely have his measure.

North Melbourne forward line vs Essendon defence

North Melbourne average a goal 22.7% of the time they enter their forward 50, around the middle of the league so far. Essendon have a middle of the road back 7, conceding a goal 23.8% of the time it goes into defence this season. Expect Cale Hooker to take young forward/ruck Tristan Xerri who has been promising this year so far, whilst Michael Hurley probably takes Ben Brown, who has always had an excellent record against Essendon. Aaron Francis is likely to go head to head with Cameron Zurhaar, the medium forward's aggression in the air and on the ground a standout feature, playing similarly to Max Rooke. Small forwards Tarryn Thomas and Curtis Taylor have also impressed for North, but will have it tough against Mason Redman and Adam Saad respectively.

X-Factor Player

Jordan Ridley has given many Essendon fans goosebumps this season, his assuredness and ability to hit a target the vast majority of the time has been really unusual for Essendon, which is why most have enjoyed him so far this season.

Key stat

Essendon: Clearances. They win this, they win the game most of the time, last week was a prime example of that

North Melbourne: Defensive conversion. North's defence is the backbone of their structure, they can't afford to let Stringer and Walla off the chain

Tip

Essendon should win this after such a promising performance the week before. Dons by 22
Most excellent observations.

Why don’t you? Your the one picking the side by position!
As I said in the last thread, I use a template and swap the guys around depending on who I remove from the last template, adjusting for change of position (like Snelling). Gleeson was on the field when I used the however many players were out template.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we want to mess with a winning formula too much. So I'd have minimal changes;-

OUT: Zakka, Laverde
IN: Merrett, McKenna

Hurley Hooker Saad
Gleeson Ridley Fanta
Merrett Hibberd Ham
Stringer Langford Snelling
Townsend McKernan Tippa

Phillips Parish Shiel

Bench: McGarth Smith Redman McKenna

The only other change I'd consider is bringing in Francis instead of McKenna but not sure.. Dont think we should drop Gleeson he was good against the Pies in that 3rd quarter. Either way its a good team and we should be able to beat North..Comon Dons..!!!

Mckenna for zaka in the like for like swap. Or francis if we want more height (who other than brown has the height at north?)

Need merrett in but struggling to pick a mid to drop....and messing with that midfield setup from last night seems unpalatable...

For all the laverde criticism, he played a role that freed stringer up. If laverde comes out, id want stewart in or Langford forward (at a bit of a detriment to our setup).

Biggest concern is stringer missing and where the goals come from

Our pressure last night was fantastic... but we need to get better. How? We need to add a bit more speed and power through the side and Merrett and McKenna fit the bill.

Outs: Zaka, Gleeson, Townsend
Ins: Merrett, Mckenna, Guelfi

Townsend is a battler but reminds me of Josh Green who can't keep up with the defenders.

Stringer is a massive loss. Not sure how it’s covered.

Zaka is pretty cooked. In his form he isn’t in the best 22. Not sure where he goes from here.
Really like Langford up on a wing, which puts zaka even further back.

Merrett and McKenna come in for those two,
I wouldn’t drop anyone else based on their performances last night.

And just for absolutley no reason, I just wanna say Ridley is a *ing Jet!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stringer out is a huge hole for us, he kicks goals, applies pressure and wins clearances, he is X factor for us and fear factor for the opposition, irreplaceable.

I don’t think Stewart will be ready to play so I think we need to play Hooker forward, bring in both Zerk and Francis if ready to cover Brown, Zuhaar and Xerri

Francis Hurley Ridley
Redman zerk Saad
Ham Shiel McGrath
Langford McKernan Smith
Tippa Hooker Townsend
Phillips Merrett Parish
Snelling Hibberd Fantasia Gleeson

IN Merrett Francis Zerk-Thatcher
OUT Stringer Zaharakis Laverde

One of Gleeson and Hibberd could possibly make way for McKenna also.
Need Langford to replace Stringer at centre bounces.

Merrett and McKenna have to come in.

Maybe Francis too, if he’s healthy.

I think Stringer’s injury might save Laverde.

Zaharakis is the new Myers, he’ll never get dropped.

Would like to see -
In: Merrett, McKenna, Francis
Out: Zaharakis, Stringer, Gleeson

But will most likely be -
In: Merrett, McKenna
Out: Hibberd, Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back