Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
Geez man - I dunno.

Three of the top sides:
West Coast - Gaff and NicNat come back into the side.
Richmond - Tom Lynch
Melbourne - adding May, Kolo and Lever

These sides just put together seasons at least 6 games more than Essendon (including finals wins) AND they've added topline players.

There's not a solid argument on Essendon finishing higher than any of those three that is based on players.
Well they put away the Premiers fairly comfortably in Perth and went down by a goal to the Tiges, put Geelong and GWS away, worked off North, pumped Port at Alberton, destroyed Sydney, so we're not exactly talking blue sky to get ahead of some of those 11 that you mentioned.
Incidentally, bumped into one of your old warriors a few weeks ago who used to have red hair, couldn't stop raving on about A.Francis.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Their attempt to build a fast run and carry game plan is already going out of fashion.
Hope Worsfold has a plan B otherwise no improvement next year.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Their attempt to build a fast run and carry game plan is already going out of fashion.

Care to elaborate on this? WCE just won a grand final playing a very similar attack from defence strategy as Essendon.

Essendon's leg speed isn't the basis of the game plan it's more a point of difference.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Care to elaborate on this? WCE just won a grand final playing a very similar attack from defence strategy as Essendon.

Essendon's leg speed isn't the basis of the game plan it's more a point of difference.
I dont agree there. The WC game plan is clearly to retain posession. The Bombers is play on whenever possible and take risks. The Bombers gameplan is great to watch, but I'd put money they'll become more conservative to achieve consistency next year.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont agree there. The WC game plan is clearly to retain posession. The Bombers is play on whenever possible and take risks. The Bombers gameplan is great to watch, but I'd put money they'll become more conservative to achieve consistency next year.

Overall team defence should improve next season with Ben Rutten in charge.

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
That's fine if there are no tweaks and changes. But i'm sure that coaches tweak and change things to try and get ahead or stay ahead depending on your particular situation. Therefore to say that we play exactly the same way next year is a bit of a stretch.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I disagree. Obviously the preference is to rebound quickly when given the opportunity (as it is for evey side in the comp) Essendon tries to play slow on plenty of possssions the issue is we lack aren't as skilled/advanced in our ball movement and are regularly forced into kicking down the line.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Overall team defence should improve next season with Ben Rutten in charge.
I dont think it was a flaw really. More a natural evolution teams with lots of young talent. Bit sad , the Bombers were my favourite team to watch last last year, and played in some of the best games from a pure footy point of view. The North game was the game of the season to my subjective perspective.

If I was a bombers fan I'd trade it for consistency though.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think it was a flaw really. More a natural evolution teams with lots of young talent. Bit sad , the Bombers were my favourite team to watch last last year, and played in some of the best games from a pure footy point of view. The North game was the game of the season to my subjective perspective.

If I was a bombers fan I'd trade it for consistency though.

Essendon will be the best scoring/exciting team to watch next season it’s why the AFL gave us so many prime time slots

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I disagree. Obviously the preference is to rebound quickly when given the opportunity (as it is for evey side in the comp) Essendon tries to play slow on plenty of possssions the issue is we lack aren't as skilled/advanced in our ball movement and are regularly forced into kicking down the line.
It's subjective and complicated. We seek a contest down the line believing we can win it for example.

I do have some insight from a session with one of our coaches Tim Kelly before the EF this year. It was only snippets though.

I honestly believe the coaches beleive it's too complicated for the fans, rather than any deep paranoia about giving away secrets.

He was happy show video with a pointer showing us zoning in previous games as we planned to prevent the Swans chipping it around coming out of defence, as they like to do.

Bottom line no problem with you disagreeing, it's like an onion, there's always layers you miss.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Essendon will be the best scoring/exciting team to watch next season it’s why the AFL gave us so many prime time slots
They did actually say you'd be rewarded for providing a spectacle. I have a feeling, and it is just a feeling, that you'll be disappointed in that regard though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesse Custer

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 28, 2008
Melwood
AFL Club
Essendon
settle down - you were the 9th ranked team for points scored.

I think essendons ceiling is a prelim - needs more toughness & a better game plan.
That's like winning a couple of finals to get there. We haven't won a final for ages, one step at a time.

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
EFC have just fallen iff
That's like winning a couple of finals to get there. We haven't won a final for ages, one step at a time.
EFC have just fallen off the bike awhile, 2019 will herald the return of the red and black empire as they jump back on the bike and get back to winning finals etc.
Opposition supporters have been dreading it. They know it’s coming.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
But you've seen heaps of wooden spoons.

Any results ?

2011 elimination final win. Whipped our opponents so hard that they decided their only recourse was to immediately commence a doping regime that would gift us their 2013 finals spot after they got banned. Good times. You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back