Phantom Draft eth-dog's 2020 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Why, in your opinion, would Richmond go for a small forward which they have heaps of and are also going to get Rioli jnr?
Because I just see them picking best available and he's the best available at that pick for me.

Yep, no doubt.
But the actual number of picks a club will make in the draft this year, is no longer a minimum of 3, but a minimum of 1.
And from what you read, there could be quite a few clubs that only make 1 pick in the draft.
I that would need to be taken into consideration when doing a mock draft.

I think the perfect example is GC, who may only take 1 pick to the draft. Which would be there first, as they get to pre-list Davies and Jefferey.
Brisbane, Geelong could take 1 pick to the draft?
similarly saints and richmond may only take 2
And some clubs may take a 3 live picks, but will upgrade a rookie, which would count as one of the 3.

Always appreciate the work done in mock drafts, but in 2020 this is a slight difference to previous years, with list sizes coming down.
* Need to read below .
The rule said that after draft you have 36 players you need to upgrade one rookie to your senior list .

You can still have 40 in your senior list but 4 rookie A
Or 3 rookie A and 1 rookie B
Detailed in The Age report are specifics surrounding how a list could be compromised - if clubs have seven rookies (four Category A and three Category B) then they can only have 37 players on their primary list.

Should a club have 36 primary listed players, it must then have at least one rookie to reach the minimum list size of 37 - there had been no requirement previously for a club to have rookie listed players.

Quiet, I'm stealing some players off your rankings right now.
Baldwin isn't going #17 Eth ....not after two knee reco's

Good effort though ......I wouldn't even contemplate the 2nd and 3rd round raffle, so kudos to you for giving it a go

Baldwin isn't going #17 Eth ....not after two knee reco's

Good effort though ......I wouldn't even contemplate the 2nd and 3rd round raffle, so kudos to you for giving it a go
Collingwood need some young talls in the door desperately. He's the best one at that pick.

Don’t care what offer we get if McDonald is there at two we have to take him. After getting Stephenson it makes it an easy decision to take McDonald over Holland.
I think it's hard to call either way. I really rate Larkey as a key forward and then Xerri and Comben have great wraps on them. I have you guys in the Essendon mock and I think after a JUH bid I'll trade the pick for 2 top 10's or 1 top 10 and two other first round picks.

I think it's hard to call either way. I really rate Larkey as a key forward and then Xerri and Comben have great wraps on them. I have you guys in the Essendon mock and I think after a JUH bid I'll trade the pick for 2 top 10's or 1 top 10 and two other first round picks.
I think Larkey and McDonald sets us for for the next 10 years. Xerri is our next ruck and we haven’t seen Comben yet. Imo McDonald is much more of a bet to make it and be really good. Rawlings can stuff around with 11 but I really hope we keep 2 - especially if McDonald doesn’t go at 1.

I get the feeling we will trade pick 2 so I really hope we get a great deal - but McDonald could haunt us for years.

Only way the Roo's give up #2 and my opinion McDonald is if they get an offer for 2 x top 10 picks
Only GC #5 and next year’s first would do it. Means we still get one of the top 5 (non Academy) which is clearly better then the rest of the draft

Only GC #5 and next year’s first would do it. Means we still get one of the top 5 (non Academy) which is clearly better then the rest of the draft
Dont believe GC would offer that,This years #5 i can understand but next year they could again finish inside top 5-7 picks and that would be way to high specially considering next years picks are more valuable.

GC will be looking to entice a top tier established player with next years pick imo and wont need anymore kids

Dont believe GC would offer that,This years #5 i can understand but next year they could again finish inside top 5-7 picks and that would be way to high specially considering next years picks are more valuable.

GC will be looking to entice a top tier established player with next years pick imo and wont need anymore kids
And that’s when we just keep our pick.
But I can see GC offering 5, 27 & 37 (considering they’ll prob only take one pick this year) and next year’s first. We may have to send at least a third back next year.

Last edited:
But I can see GC offering 5, 27 (considering they’ll prob only take one pick this year) and next year’s first. We may have to send something back next year.

100% i can see that but North wouldn't take that
Crows #9 & #22 , Pies #14 & #16 if they think a bid for reef will come early or GWS #13 & #20 maybe if they were desperate for a player #13 & #15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I can see GC offering 5, 27 & 37 (considering they’ll prob only take one pick this year) and next year’s first. We may have to send at least a third back next year.
I heard the deal already done , your don't even need to send future 3rd back .

Only way the Roo's give up #2 and my opinion McDonald is if they get an offer for 2 x top 10 picks
If that is the case and if McDonald is so much an important player to clubs and a potential superstar of the sport I’d be asking for either 3x1st rounders this year or 2x1st rounder and an 1st for next year

If that is the case and if McDonald is so much an important player to clubs and a potential superstar of the sport I’d be asking for either 3x1st rounders this year or 2x1st rounder and an 1st for next year
Have seen so many of these types of big fowards in the past that get touted as the next big superstar foward but rarely eventuate that way
Boyd , Paton, McCartin , King x 2 , Hogan etc etc all the way back to players like Gumbleton and more

The type of trade you are suggesting are rarely paid for established KPF's

I think everyone knows what the outcome would be if north were to trade with GC.
But its the Essendon trade that's the interesting one, given that there is a (perceived) drop off from the first 5 non NGA players, to the 6th.
Is there a chance that Essendon split one of the picks (7 or 8) with GWS for two picks in the teens? say 7 for 10 and 20? or 13 and 20?
trade 6, 10 (or 13) and 2021 first for pick 2?
Pretty simple really if the Bombers want pick 2 so bad they will have to pay through the nose for it. No skin off our backs we cant lose.

Have seen so many of these types of big fowards in the past that get touted as the next big superstar foward but rarely eventuate that way
Boyd , Paton, McCartin , King x 2 , Hogan etc etc all the way back to players like Gumbleton and more

I think the difference between McDonald and those 7 examples is that he’s performed against men.

They came through the under 18 system and were bigger than the opposition and could bully the smaller back men. Also under 18s are set up for 1 on 1. McDonald has proven himself against men. Big difference.

Also the Kings look like future superstars.

They came through the under 18 system and were bigger than the opposition and could bully the smaller back men. Also under 18s are set up for 1 on 1. McDonald has proven himself against men. Big difference.

Also the Kings look like future superstars.
Hogan played against Men but after he left Melbourne he’s form has dropped away massively same thing has happened to Schache he was playing okay football as a junior at the Lions

Exactly.

But clubs will be paying for the % chance this is the next Riewoldt, Pavlich or Franklin.

2 x top 10’s isn’t enough. One of the picks needs to be a top 5 to get us a Phillips, DGB or Hollands.

GC is realistically the only club that can give us what we want.

I wouldn’t even be interested in all of Essendon picks for that reason.

It's an interesting debate but I agree with this. Two top 10 picks is an enormous price to pay for an established player with runs on the board - there's no way I'd be giving up that much for a crack at someone who hasn't even played a game, regardless of how talented he is.

Perhaps I'm scarred by my own club's miserable drafting history, but I'd certainly rather two bites inside the top 10 than one early selection.

It's an interesting debate but I agree with this. Two top 10 picks is an enormous price to pay for an established player with runs on the board - there's no way I'd be giving up that much for a crack at someone who hasn't even played a game, regardless of how talented he is.

Perhaps I'm scarred by my own club's miserable drafting history, but I'd certainly rather two bites inside the top 10 than one early selection.

My mind drifts to the picks that were given up for the pre draft selections of Jaeger O'meara , Jesse Hogan , Brad Crouch and Jack Martin and just shows that no matter how highly touted (and all 4 of these players were touted as generational players) goes to show 2 top 5 picks are never to be handed over for unproven talent. Even one of the best 23 year old players in Dunkley wasnt able to attract 2 x top 10 picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back