Extra support against the world cup bid

Remove this Banner Ad

I want us to host the world cup. 90% of australians want us to host the world cup. If we don't get to host the world cup it I'll because of a few ********s who are the minority.

But the problem is it's good for Australia as a nation to host the world cup, and we shouldn't be stopping that. The main problem for us is it putting AFL on hold. A plan needs to be devised so that both the World Cup and the AFL are played in the year, so it'll be a win/win for Australia and AFL. Plus AFL will get more international exposure if the World Cup was going to be hosted here.

• Banned
not sure what the end result was, either herald sun or the age had a vote going about hosting the world cup and the votes were around 60 % to 40% .... fairly even on the scale of not wanting to host it aswell

*though i voted no to hosting the soccer wc....i would be all for it if it did not interupt the AFL

We will host the world cup and their will be a compromise between the AFL and FIFA. There will end up being a 2 maybe 3 week gap mid season max.

Looking good, NRL starting to support the case to not host the soccer world cup. North queensland cowboys in particular.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/12/09/99241_sport.html

hopefully others will start speaking out more too.

Wtf???

How can this be seen as a good thing?

You think it would be bad for our country to host the WC?

It would be the biggest sporting moment in the history of our country and would generate a huge boost in our economy.

Why would we be against the World Cup?

This is not merely a sporting fixture, but a major international event. It's not as if the EPL were coming to play half its season in Australia, it's the WORLD CUP!

I am a huge AFL fan, and personally don't think much of soccer, but the World Cup is like the Olympics, who says no to hosting it? So many countries around the world would die to host it (literally), and the fact that we're being given the opportunity and hesitant about it astounds me.

The AFL and NRL support the WC bid, but the Government, FIFA and FFA need to be realistic. We are a country where the world sport is a minor sport, has no stadiums to its name, and not much money to do anything independent of the AFL, NRL or the government.

It needs everyone's co-operation, and as an AFL official said the other day, it's up to FFA to come up with adequate compromises and suggestions to the AFL, and not the other way around.

So far, the demands are too high. We cannot close for a season, and we cannot give up all of OUR stadiums (MCG and Etihad) for the WC. People forget that the MCG is more or less ours, and Etihad will be completely ours.

I want the World Cup, but FIFA have to stop being arrogant and come back to earth. They can't simply bulldoze Australian sport for a few weeks then leave. It needs to compromise with the AFL and NRL.

FIFA's strategy is to make the World Cup more "worldly" and less "European". It needs a World Cup in Australia for marketing purposes, and I'm confident we will get it, but not at the expense of our local codes.

No, let's get the World Cup and force the Government to build a nice new clean stadium right next door to Arden Street as our price!

that would work out well, and while the WC is on we could have allll games at that stadium with a game a day happening for the week of the round. now that would keep alot of people happy, including the bookies.

edit: would that be possible to build one before world cup starts?

Thread FAIL.

I love my Aussie Rules but would gladly cancel an entire season to have the World Cup in Australia.

no no....YOU FAIL......then again who could blame you, you have had at least the last two seasons cancelled already.

no real AFL supporter would vote for there season to be cancelled for something like soccer, be it world cup. no way .

you fail and so does your club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that would work out well, and while the WC is on we could have allll games at that stadium with a game a day happening for the week of the round. now that would keep alot of people happy, including the bookies.

edit: would that be possible to build one before world cup starts?

E-Gate Stadium mate. That's what its about.

no no....YOU FAIL......then again who could blame you, you have had at least the last two seasons cancelled already.

no real AFL supporter would vote for there season to be cancelled for something like soccer, be it world cup. no way .

you fail and so does your club

No no you fail more.. and your team sucks - double stampies no erasies.. :rolleyes:

I have been an MFC member for 18 years, an MCC member for 10 so Im an AFL supporter.

But the World Cup will be fantastic so I honestly hope you can get over it and just enjoy it.

BTW insults at other clubs dont work when you support Richmond you tool. How embarassing this thread is for you.

I want the World Cup, but FIFA have to stop being arrogant and come back to earth. They can't simply bulldoze Australian sport for a few weeks then leave. It needs to compromise with the AFL and NRL.

quote]

You make an excellent point aimed right at the heart of the issue.

If we were to put a finer point on the issue that would be exactly it.

It's not so much that AFL supporters dont want the WC, it's the lack of effort to compromise and share more effectively the few major venues we have to host it. And it's affecting our national game.

Then of course there's going to be resistance.

It would be very strange for the Cowboys to assist block the bid. After all, they would end up with a facility even better than the one they have now (their main grandstand is awfully small for a major national league), and they could always have home games in Cairns.

FIFA's strategy is to make the World Cup more "worldly" and less "European". It needs a World Cup in Australia for marketing purposes, and I'm confident we will get it, but not at the expense of our local codes.

No it doenst need a World Cup in Australia for marketing purposes. Bend over or the world cup (and it probably will even if you bend over) goes elsewhere.

seriously i'd rate Australia's chances at less than 50% for 2022 IF all this s**t was sorted out quick sharp. 2018 will go to whichever European country line Jack Warners pocket the most.

So far, the demands are too high. We cannot close for a season, and we cannot give up all of OUR stadiums (MCG and Etihad) for the WC. People forget that the MCG is more or less ours, and Etihad will be completely ours.

Absolutely right. I'd love to see the World Cup in Australia, if it was possible to do it without it adversely affecting the AFL.
But the World Cup in the bid's current form would be like a cyclone or a bushfire - only around for a short time, but leaving a long-term trail of sporting destruction.

theve meat the AFL 14 times since we wanted to host it - hows that bulldozing

and its NOT an entire season its 8-10 weeks FFS...get rid of preseason (which everyone wants to do) start earlier and have a longer break - its not THAT hard

FFA want to bend over backwards to assist both codes that lets be honest few outside Oz would care about - and this is the thanks they get

both the NRL and AFL would get some of the revenue - The world cup would generate more revenue then both codes would even dream of getting in a lifetime. Also if you play during the WC then your going to have millions of visitors wanting something to do between WC games....promote turn OK sporting grounds into state of the art facitites thats going to benifit fans and sporting clubs in Oz

AFL and NRL have a once in a lifetime marking opportunity - they be idiots not to cash in

Cant believe the Idiocy of some people not wanting the worlds greatest sporting event in Oz

How do you know?

You need someone to do a poll for you to know that almost everyone (including people not even interested in sports) would love Australia to host a World Cup? Remember the elation and national pride when Sydney got the Olympics?

I reckon that the FFA are being very diplomatic with the way they are bringing discussion to the AFL and NRL. FIFA and the Federal Government could swat any AFL protests away like flies if push came to shove.

We'll get the WC, and AFL/NRL will get less and less if they keep posturing.

Looking good, NRL starting to support the case to not host the soccer world cup. North queensland cowboys in particular.

Townsville :D

Every year you guys accept the AFL to have a 6 month break, I'm sure you can do without it for 6 weeks for once in your whole life.

You need someone to do a poll for you to know that almost everyone (including people not even interested in sports) would love Australia to host a World Cup? Remember the elation and national pride when Sydney got the Olympics?

I reckon that the FFA are being very diplomatic with the way they are bringing discussion to the AFL and NRL. FIFA and the Federal Government could swat any AFL protests away like flies if push came to shove.
yeah I thought it was over the top at the time then also, then again I dont think much of the Olympics either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back