Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
News from today

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-01/f1-axes-grid-girls-from-formula-one-races/9381902

Watching the news some of the girls have spoken out how about their job is now in obsolescence and I'd imagine some or most would be proud they were to be selected to be a grid girl.

It looks from this abc report at least that the sport is wanting to "keep up with modern day norms".

What do they mean by that? Is it a deflection from a possible reality where by the governing body is over reacting to "modern day norms"? Or is what they're doing valid? What effect will it have on the sport; if any?

Interested in the differing opinions.

What effect will it have on the sport; if any?
Most people that actually follow the races will not give a flying *. Lewis might not like it though
Its become a great conversation in recent days for the conservatives to unleash their usual rhetoric in regards to PC culture etc..

I hope they get younger kids involved in the paddock and presentations now.

Most people that actually follow the races will not give a flying ****. Lewis might not like it though
Its become a great conversation in recent days for the conservatives to unleash their usual rhetoric in regards to PC culture etc..

I hope they get younger kids involved in the paddock and presentations now.

Tend to agree, I don't think there will be any effect. I'll still be religiously watching when I can just like any other fan, If I want to look at women I can go to the strippers or watch a beauty pageant.

The girls don't seem happy though, on the "project" an invited guest aired her views. She hinted that all of the girls did not give a s**t about "the world norms" (not word for word) they viewed being selected as a badge of honour while enjoying rubbing shoulders with F1 drivers and their celebrity guests.

Last edited:
Ugly people with severe insecurities ftw!

That's probably a little blunt and probably not the reason for the decision. There are those that have a "feel sorry" for those that wouldn't be selected, there are those that see it as "objectifying" women and a whole range of reasons. What is guaranteed that F1 doesn't want a "tarnished" look and because of the way the world you could argue that F1 has been listening to the noisy minority around the globe has reacted.

Wouldn't necessarily say it was only ugly people that lobbied for change outside of the public view

Tend to agree, I don't think there will be any effect. I'll still be religiously watching when I can just like any other fan, If I want to look at women I can go to the strippers or watch a beauty pageant.

The girls don't seem happy though, on the "project" an invited guest aired her views. She hinted that all of the girls did not give a s**t about "the world norms" (not word for word) they viewed being selected as a badge of honour while enjoying rubbing shoulders with F1 drivers and their celebrity guests.
There is an irony in the whole thing
New Wave Feminism is seemingly all about Women being able to do whatever they want with their bodies. Freedom, empowerment etc..
The decision to scrap Grid Girls was done mainly to appease a progressive, feminist audience.
Kind of contradicting

There is an irony in the whole thing
New Wave Feminism is seemingly all about Women being able to do whatever they want with their bodies. Freedom, empowerment etc..
The decision to scrap Grid Girls was done mainly to appease a progressive, feminist audience.
Kind of contradicting

There is fair argument for this view, for example in the interview on the project last night. Lisa Wilkinson asked an invited guest (former grid girl) if she agreed that it was objectifying women, I must say the young lady seemed to take offence and wouldn't be surprised if viewed that question as an insult of her intelligence and Lisa seemed that she deemed that question very valid.

What was more disturbing was Carrie Bickmore stating / asking that if more women behind the wheel instead of glamorized beside a car (not her words, but alluded to). She seemed completely void of the fact there is no rule (as far as I'm aware) excluding women from competing in F1 or worse still deliberately avoided mentioning that fact, whoever is selected by the teams are done so on merit.

That's probably a little blunt and probably not the reason for the decision. There are those that have a "feel sorry" for those that wouldn't be selected, there are those that see it as "objectifying" women and a whole range of reasons. What is guaranteed that F1 doesn't want a "tarnished" look and because of the way the world you could argue that F1 has been listening to the noisy minority around the globe has reacted.

Wouldn't necessarily say it was only ugly people that lobbied for change outside of the public view
It is blunt. However, it's only insecure people/groups using the term "objectifying". Better looking women have "presence". Insecure people don't like that.

Also. I'm aware that the new owner's are on a cost cutting mission. All those grid/promo girls cost a fair amount of money. So it wouldn't surprise me if down the track, such women are returned to the scene discreetly. If nothing else, promo girls add value to sponsors.

What was more disturbing was Carrie Bickmore stating / asking that if more women behind the wheel instead of glamorized beside a car (not her words, but alluded to). She seemed completely void of the fact there is no rule (as far as I'm aware) excluding women from competing in F1 or worse still deliberately avoided mentioning that fact, whoever is selected by the teams are done so on merit.
Which goes back to my original point. Most of the people taking an interest in this story have no interest in F1 whatsoever. Its a political argument for the right and left to have a go at each other

Which goes back to my original point. Most of the people taking an interest in this story have no interest in F1 whatsoever. Its a political argument for the right and left to have a go at each other

Yeah not so certain, that only those politically motivated are taking notice. However I will concede it looks on face value that the story has traction purely based on a political viewpoint rather than a positional view of motor racing

It is blunt. However, it's only insecure people/groups using the term "objectifying". Better looking women have "presence". Insecure people don't like that.

That is true, but these people haven't arrived in the last 5 minutes. Unfortunately this noisy minority wins the day because they are noisy; the squeaky wheel get the grease. In all that I'm not convinced that F1 made this decision solely on the do gooder noise; as you mentioned there are other factors at play and more likely some we don't / won't know about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty funny reading the pedo/child labour angle on FB and elsewhere now that kids are going to replace the grid girls.

Personally? I think it's lame. It's not really a place they should be. As far as kids from karting club is concerned. All that's going do to is cause huge shiffights at kart clubs as committees decide which kidcwill get the spot.

There is fair argument for this view, for example in the interview on the project last night. Lisa Wilkinson asked an invited guest (former grid girl) if she agreed that it was objectifying women, I must say the young lady seemed to take offence and wouldn't be surprised if viewed that question as an insult of her intelligence and Lisa seemed that she deemed that question very valid.

Of course there is no rule like that, and is fact women that race. You are correct. Carrie Bickmore would not HAVE A CLUE about motorsport. Or any of the other clowns on that rancid show.

Of course there is no rule like that, and is fact women that race. You are correct. Carrie Bickmore would not HAVE A CLUE about motorsport. Or any of the other clowns on that rancid show.

Agreed, but the problem is the picture is painted that F1 exclude women from competing. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is the general consensus that the misinformed public view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back